kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

http://localsustaina....com/posts/4067

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

http://localsustaina....com/posts/4067

thank you for that link Kenlove, I've been looking for something like that to put on my facebook for celiac awareness month :)

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hmmm,  i liked the first part of the article about symptoms of gluten intolerance.  But advising people to start the gluten-free diet without testing for celiac disease is bad advice IMHO.

Also, I think this statement is false:

Please note that gluten is a very large protein and it can take months and even years to clear from your system

That doesn't sound true to me.  She is basically saying people are walking around with donuts and pizza in their guts years after eating them.  Sounds slightly off kilter to me.  At some point you would think people wouldn't want to eat any more donuts, pizza or bread is this were true. Even non-celiacs with guts full of donuts would be uncomfortable.  Maybe that's what happened to the Michelin man? :)

And this one, while sensational, is something I would much rather see a reference for, than take on good faith.

An article published in 2001 states that for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity eating gluten just once a month increased the relative risk of death by 600%.

I ate gluten for years before starting the gluten-free diet.  By that logic, I should have croaked many years ago.  Maybe logic isn't the appropriate word to describe her assertion though.

Otherwise she has the right idea, and probably plans to make lots of money on it.  I guess you can consider me skeptical of her motives and her article.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hmmm, i liked the first part of the article about symptoms of gluten intolerance. But advising people to start the gluten-free diet without testing for celiac disease is bad advice IMHO.

Please note that gluten is a very large protein and it can take months and even years to clear from your system

That doesn't sound true to me. She is basically saying people are walking around with donuts and pizza in their guts years after eating them. Sounds slightly off kilter to me. At some point you would think people wouldn't want to eat any more donuts, pizza or bread is this were true. Even non-celiacs with guts full of donuts would be uncomfortable. Maybe that's what happened to the Michelin man? :)

And this one, while sensational, is something I would much rather see a reference for, than take on good faith.

An article published in 2001 states that for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity eating gluten just once a month increased the relative risk of death by 600%.

I ate gluten for years before starting the gluten-free diet. By that logic, I should have croaked many years ago. Maybe logic isn't the appropriate word to describe her assertion though.

Otherwise she has the right idea, and probably plans to make lots of money on it. I guess you can consider me skeptical of her motives and her article.

yeah agreed; after further reading, I didnt agree on the testing side of it either :(

#5 AmyMyersMD

AmyMyersMD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hmmm,  i liked the first part of the article about symptoms of gluten intolerance.  But advising people to start the gluten-free diet without testing for celiac disease is bad advice IMHO.

The article is about gluten sensitivity not Celiac--- and as you likely know --- most Celiac testing is inaccurate anyway.  Which is why it's such a HUGE problem and many people are UNDER diagnosed.  I take gluten sensitivity very seriously and I have my patients who are sensitive to avoid it at all cost.  So as far as I am concerned it's the same treatment. I certainly test my patients for Celiac and as of yet no one has come up positive however almost 100% of my patients are gluten intolerant.

That doesn't sound true to me.  She is basically saying people are walking around with donuts and pizza in their guts years after eating them.  Sounds slightly off kilter to me.  At some point you would think people wouldn't want to eat any more donuts, pizza or bread is this were true. Even non-celiacs with guts full of donuts would be uncomfortable.  Maybe that's what happened to the Michelin man? :)

Actually it not false.  I see patients who have been gluten-free for months to years and their markers for gluten sensitivity are still very high.  And of course their guts are still a mess and leaky.  When I say 'clear' I mean to clear the antibodies.  I can certainly send you a list of references.

That article source is: Lancet 2001 Aug; (Vol 358)

I ate gluten for years before starting the gluten-free diet.  By that logic, I should have croaked many years ago.  Maybe logic isn't the appropriate word to describe her assertion though.

Otherwise she has the right idea, and probably plans to make lots of money on it.  I guess you can consider me skeptical of her motives and her article.

Wow that's really disappointing!  I suffer from an autoimmune disease and gluten played a huge role in that.  I no longer have a thyroid and if my writing can prevent even one person from having to go through what I went through --- I have been successful.  Thankfully this article has reached millions and i have been able to help a lot of people.  MY goal is to educate and prevent others from ever being in my shoes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: