Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Stage 2 Kidney Disease? Just Noticed Lab Result.

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

My PCP in FL (I moved back to Ohio last year) is back from maternity leave so I emailed her an update that I'm pursuing possible Celiac or Gluten intolerance as cause of some of my medical issues. I told her the Celiac panel was negative but I have appt with dermatologist this week. I mentioned my SED rate was 65, and she replied back that was very high (I knew this), said Celiac would not cause it to be THAT high and wanted to know what reason the doctors here gave me for it being so high....and asked me to send her the labs. I told her I have not gone back to the GI who ran those tests, waiting until after the Derm appointment in getting the labs to fax to her I noticed my GFR was 81 and under it the range stated it was Stage 2. So I look it up and it's Glomerular Filtration Rate...related to creatine in blood...kidney function. 

Is that common with Celiac/Gluten intolerance? Or do I have something else going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Some renal issues can be associated with celiac and other problems. Infections and other dietary situations come to mind. Many renal insults will improve when the cause is identified and resolved even those worse than what yours appear. Stage II is better used to identify damage that is progressive and untreatable.

#3 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

My mom is stage 4, she is 66 and had told me it was due to her chemo and radiation from breast cancer 12 years ago....her father (my grandfather) also had kidney issues I believe, he drank a lot though. Thankfully I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure...I do wonder if it's the lymphedema issue that contribute to protein in urine. 

#4 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

That is a possibility. Urine isn't supposed to have protein, it's a molecule that is big and can block tubules. How is that being treated?

#5 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

How is what being treated? The lymphedema? It's in maintenance, There is no treatment other than compression therapy, I have compressed all that can be compressed, wear garments to keep legs from swelling up with lymph fluid....lymph fluid is protein rich fluid.

Mom's kidney issue just being monitored and BP being controlled. 

#6 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Do you know what caused your lymphedema? 

#7 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Being born.  :) I have actually primary lipedema which causes abnormal adipose tissue to accumulate in my hips, thighs, and upper arms...that excess tissue puts additional pressure on my lymph system causing the lymphedema in my legs.

http://women.webmd.c...reatment-causes

Actually no gluten diet is recommended by some lipedema doctors.

#8 Ksee

Ksee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Your doctor may decide on more aggressive and combined treatment (CDT) or may decide that would put further stress on your kidneys. I'm sorry, I don't know. 

#9 SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

I really haven't had treatment for lymphedema for years because it's maintained by wearing my garments, I just went yesterday to be measured for new ones and my legs are in very good condition, considering...I just think it might be the overall issue causing the kidney problem...who knows...just monitor it all...awaiting word from my PCP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: