This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Star Trek

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

I'm super excited. When I went to get copies of my MRI and CT from last summer they apparently were having issues with something and while my disc should have been ready when I got there it took nearly an hour for it to be ready. In exchange for my wait I got 2 movie tickets. Now, we have a $1 theater in town for second run movies (on Tuesdays anyway, the rest of the week it is $1.50) and it isn't like the movie is different if you wait 6 or 8 weeks to see it. But... Tomorrow night is Star Trek!!!

We don't have money to spend on things like movies, but this time it is free. I'm practically on pins and needles excited! Plus, I talked to the general manager of the Cinemark today and he said that it is fine for me to bring a small bag of my own popcorn with me. I know, sitting for 2-3 hours without food won't kill me but I hate being in a crowded theater smelling theater popcorn and I don't have any! I just want to feel normal.

So. Tomorrow night. Midnight. Bouncy bouncy bouncy...... omg I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve! BTW, no I am not dressing up. Mostly because I'm too poor. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VeggieGal Contributor

oh I want to see that...let us know what you think to it; and don't be a spoil sport, get dressed up in a treky outfit lol ;)

GottaSki Mentor

It is being released on my birthday -- hip hip hooray...I can't wait....I'll be too tired to catch the midnight show...but we are going full pop on Friday night -- we never go to the movies in the evening anymore...hope i can get tixs...oh one of my kids just got a job at the fancy new theater in La Jolla...and he'll be working there so that means we only have to buy three tix :D

bartfull Rising Star

Reminds me of years (and years!) ago when I went on opening night to see a Star Trek movie. We got out of the car and there was a guy with a megaphone standing out front saying, "Star Trek Three is all sold out!" My buddy Glenn and I both said, in unison, "Doo-dah, Doo-dah".

I guess you would have had to be there, but the way the guy said it, it really did sound like he was almost singing "Camptown Races".

OK, it was only funny to me. I'll crawl back into my hole now... :blink:  :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

I giggled...no crawling back in a hole :)

just checked the showings at the fancy theater -- they aren't showing it on friday...but there is a sneak showing tomorrow night for the bargain price of $18.75 -- NOT!!!

Guess it'll be the regular theater without the working son --- boy do I love the sound of that "working son" :P

IrishHeart Veteran

I heard it the way you wrote it, Barty! and I sang it and giggled  too!! :D

While I am not as excited as you guys are as I am not a huge Trekkie (I know, I know, what can I say? I have diverse tastes and that one took

a back seat, sorry?)  I can BE excited FOR you and say "ENJOY!!!"

(maybe someday when I can sit and relax, I will watch a few)

GottaSki Mentor

I heard it the way you wrote it, Barty! and I sang it and giggled  too!! :D

While I am not as excited as you guys are as I am not a huge Trekkie (I know, I know, what can I say? I have diverse tastes and that one took

a back seat, sorry?)  I can BE excited FOR you and say "ENJOY!!!"

(maybe someday when I can sit and relax, I will watch a few)

Start with the Original TV Series on Net Flix...I still love those the bestest.  You are actually in the majority...I'm a proud nerd -- was a closet nerd in HS...then i had a little boy that is born to tell stories and took him to his first comic con 12 years ago...seems that it is now "in" to be a nerd.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Start with the Original TV Series on Net Flix...I still love those the bestest.  You are actually in the majority...I'm a proud nerd -- was a closet nerd in HS...then i had a little boy that is born to tell stories and took him to his first comic con 12 years ago...seems that it is now "in" to be a nerd.

Oh I watched the TV series sometimes (I know who everyone is and all)

and I am a "nerd wannabe" married to a supercool  nerd, but

I have never seen the MOVIES.

Will you guys come and watch them with me? I'll make the popcorn or whatevs... :)

GottaSki Mentor

Oh I watched the TV series sometimes (I know who everyone is and all)

and I am a "nerd wannabe" married to a supercool  nerd, but

I have never seen the MOVIES.

Will you guys come and watch them with me? I'll make the popcorn or whatevs... :)

sure!

i like the new one's the best of the movies...kinda liked a few of the orig movies and did like the next gen movies...i'll come edumacate you ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

okay, but you have to dress like ohura

GottaSki Mentor

okay, but you have to dress like ohura

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

OMG you guys are crack me up!

Two summers ago my husband and I started watching with Next Gen, we made it through every series except the original because that one is just not our cup of tea. Besides, we've probably both seen every episode like 5 times in our lives anyway. We even watched Enterprise. (shudder)

I still get flak from friends when I tell them that Star Wars just isn't half as cool as Star Trek. My kids even give me crap over that, which I give right back. :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

OMG you guys are crack me up!

Two summers ago my husband and I started watching with Next Gen, we made it through every series except the original because that one is just not our cup of tea. Besides, we've probably both seen every episode like 5 times in our lives anyway. We even watched Enterprise. (shudder)

I still get flak from friends when I tell them that Star Wars just isn't half as cool as Star Trek. My kids even give me crap over that, which I give right back. :lol:

Depends which Star Trek -vs- which Star Wars  :ph34r:

Adalaide Mentor

Depends which Star Trek -vs- which Star Wars  :ph34r:

My ex dragged me to the theater to see the first three movies when they were re-released. (First three being the first three made, Episodes 4-6.) I fell asleep halfway through the first one, and the second one. He didn't drag me along to the third one. :lol: People still think I'm crazy because my favorite character is Max Rebo. (The blue elephant thing.)

I'm a Trekkie. Can't help myself. If I had the money to dress up tonight I would totally go as a tribble!

GF Lover Rising Star

I cant handle movie theatres (too many people in a cramped place) so I've never seen a premiere.  I usually catch the new releases when they become the movie of the week.

I have to STRENUOUSLY say,  STAR TREK RULES.

Colleen 

Adalaide Mentor

I won't spoil the movie for anyone, although I can not tell you how difficult it is not to do so. It is almost physically painful not to say..... stuff. It was so awesome that I would go see it again. Even at nearly $20 for two tickets.

Just, if you are a Star Trek fan at all and care not to have the movie spoiled you should go immediately to see it. I am guessing that in the next 24-48 hours the plot will be all sorts of all over the internet and you'll end up having it ruined unless you swear off technology.

GottaSki Mentor

I cant wait!

Good news...son's fancy theater is showing trek and he gets 4 free tickets per day....as in he can get dear old mom, dad and bro in for free! I'm so excited about tomorrow and a summer filled with FREE movies :)

Adalaide Mentor

My daughter works at a theater in AR and takes her dad, step-mom, bf, friends.... and even sometimes her sister to the movies usually 2-3 times a week. After working there I'm not sure she'll ever be able to give up working for a theater the way she talks about it. She may end up keeping a theater job at least part time a day a week for many years to come just for the perk.

IrishHeart Veteran

I cant handle movie theatres (too many people in a cramped place) so I've never seen a premiere. 

I hate crowds and noisy film watchers too.

Because I taught a course called "Themes in American Film" for a few years, i liked to  go watch all different film  genres and I used to go to this funky little theater called the Spectrum n Albany and at 3:30 PM, they had a matinee  and I could sit and watch movies ALL BY MYSELF!! No one was there. Got my absurdly overly- buttered popcorn and a giant root beer and for $5.00 I saw everything new. (yes, it was the stone age and the film made a noise as it ran)  ah, the good old days! . It was this movie lover's heaven.

I won't spoil the movie for anyone, although I can not tell you how difficult it is not to do so. It is almost physically painful not to say..... stuff. It was so awesome that I would go see it again. Even at nearly $20 for two tickets.

it's $14. per person around here, so we usually wait until it is on redbox for a buck because it won't take long.

I cant wait!

Good news...son's fancy theater is showing trek and he gets 4 free tickets per day....as in he can get dear old mom, dad and bro in for free! I'm so excited about tomorrow and a summer filled with FREE movies :)

yaay for free movies!! 

IrishHeart Veteran

OMG , I just recalled one of my Lucy Ricardo student teaching moments when I showed a film called Walkabout

and never noticed in the darkness of the auditorium that the entire 2 hours of film had spooled off right onto the floor. Those wonderful

boys helped me rewind that thing before the head honcho came back LOL I was 21, curvy and cute, so it probably helped.

IrishHeart Veteran

and sorry, but STAR WARS. The originals. Not the new crap.

kristenloeh Community Regular

Got to see it tonight :) I'm SO marrying Khan. KHHAAAAAANNNNN!!!

VeggieGal Contributor

Well my sister watched it last night and said it was fantastic and now declares herself a 'Cumberb%$@#' ;) I must see it soon !

GottaSki Mentor

I get to see it tonight!!!!

Can't wait...felt a bit -- hell I felt like s$#& the past two days -- woke up feeling great, so off to pedal by several of the bike to work aid stations for National Bike to Work Day (ie Trick or Treating for adults on bikes) and then take care of daily stuff....then at 5:30pm son is treating us to free tickets....Hubs has a bit of work to do as son has been asked his opinion of the glutenous food in the fancy "cantina" of the new theater -- lol -- he is training himself to not have a nasty look on his face when he answers -- so hubs is going to eat all three gluten options for research purposes ;)

Off to pedal -- if you can consider riding a bike for an errand or to/from work if you live within a reasonable distance of your place of work.

kareng Grand Master

I hate crowds and noisy film watchers too.

Because I taught a course called "Themes in American Film" for a few years, i liked to  go watch all different film  genres and I used to go to this funky little theater called the Spectrum n Albany and at 3:30 PM, they had a matinee  and I could sit and watch movies ALL BY MYSELF!! No one was there. Got my absurdly overly- buttered popcorn and a giant root beer and for $5.00 I saw everything new. (yes, it was the stone age and the film made a noise as it ran)  ah, the good old days! . It was this movie lover's heaven.

it's $14. per person around here, so we usually wait until it is on redbox for a buck because it won't take long.

yaay for free movies!! 

Some movies must be seen on a large screen with the sound blasting all around you.  We rarely eat out anymore, so we can spend the bucks on movies.

Archived