3 replies to this topic

#1 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

I posted about a week ago that I had an exercise induced anaphalaxis reaction while jogging and had to be rushed to the ER.  I had allergy testing done on Monday and while they found I was allergic to a lot of molds, trees, weeds, and grasses which I knew already and knew they gave me asthma and not an anaphalaxis reaction.  I also found out I am highly allergic to sesame and the sesame oil in my food that night caused the reaction I had.  So, I was out of town yesterday for a funeral and I haven't had any time to look into eating sesame free yet and my daughter gave me a handful of trail mix.  I took a handful and my tongue swelled up, my mouth itched, and I had hives on my arm.  Read the back and yep, sesame seeds.  So, it looks like I will be doing some research today to get a sesame free list.  I know that celiac will not show up on a skin test because it's an auto immune response, but wheat also showed up as an allergy.  The allergist wondered if my being allergic to pretty much all types of grasses made my body react to wheat the way it does.  I thought it was interesting as someone who isn't diagnosed celiac to look at wheat as just another type of grass my body is reacting to. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have a friend that is severly allergic (with anaphalaxsis).  It is a tricky one.  There is sesame in a lot of surprising places.  Makes restaurants hard.  Good luck!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

I posted about a week ago that I had an exercise induced anaphalaxis reaction while jogging and had to be rushed to the ER.  I had allergy testing done on Monday and while they found I was allergic to a lot of molds, trees, weeds, and grasses which I knew already and knew they gave me asthma and not an anaphalaxis reaction.  I also found out I am highly allergic to sesame and the sesame oil in my food that night caused the reaction I had.  So, I was out of town yesterday for a funeral and I haven't had any time to look into eating sesame free yet and my daughter gave me a handful of trail mix.  I took a handful and my tongue swelled up, my mouth itched, and I had hives on my arm.  Read the back and yep, sesame seeds.  So, it looks like I will be doing some research today to get a sesame free list.  I know that celiac will not show up on a skin test because it's an auto immune response, but wheat also showed up as an allergy.  The allergist wondered if my being allergic to pretty much all types of grasses made my body react to wheat the way it does.  I thought it was interesting as someone who isn't diagnosed celiac to look at wheat as just another type of grass my body is reacting to. 

First of all, I'm really pleased that your reaction last week was not anaphylaxis, although asthma is quite horrid.  I am a little concerned about your reaction to the sesame seeds yesterday though and think perhaps you should get that investigated as next time your symptoms could be worse.  - Sorry, I don't want to alarm you, and I hope I'm wrong.  Perhaps someone else reading this could give you more advice? Please be careful and good luck with it all and let us all know how you get on. :unsure:

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

You can be both allergic to wheat and have celiac at the same time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: