6 replies to this topic

#1 Snag

Snag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

So, I've been gluten sensitive since 2009, though showing symptoms as early as 2008. I went for a blood test at my doctor's to pick up allergies in '08, to no avail, though it was very evident that I was gluten intolerent (bloated, symptoms similar to IBS, lack of energy, rashes etc). I went to a Naturopath in 2011, and she picked it up immediate through the symptoms I shared with her. I don't think I've been "officially diagnosed" through blood tests or anything of that nature, but she urged me to steer clear of gluten and processed foods, and gave me a powder to put in juice every morning to repair my insides - I felt the best I had in years from heeding her advice.

However, recently, I've been patchy with sticking with that advice. Gluten seems to be in everything, and I felt pretty alone with the battle. I was the only one gluten intolerent in my family, so it was a hassle making myself separate dinners etc (I know, I had to get over this inconvenience!) Thankfully, I found this forum a couple of months back and have been ghosting around it for some time.

Anyway, I recently moved to the US (I'm Australian, married my groom a month ago who is Michigan born), and have since picked up on gluten free living, once more, with the support of my husband (he's a champ). I've been eating Udi's gluten free bread, found in the frozen section of Meijer supermarkets. Still, my gluten eating symptoms have been lingering, and have progressed to such a stage that there's been blood in my waste (TMI, I know. I'm just eager for help). I know whatever I'm eating is damaging my insides to such a degree that I'm getting bruised internally, ruining the lining of my intestines.

My question is, has anyone experience similar with other gluten free products? Is there something else I'm intolerant to, and I'm just not picking up on it? I would say my body has a worse reaction to eating these gluten free breads than to eating gluten in general (gluten free foods tend to have an instant reaction, whereas gluten products build over a few hours).

I know I'm not allergic to lactose. In fact, I usually feel great after a bit of cheese or a glass of milk. Could this be soy? Or another grain used in the breads?

This has probably been covered a multitude of times, but I thought a new post couldn't hurt.

Thanks, guys.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

hello and welcome :)  and lolz there's no such thing as TMI around here!  

are you getting cross-contaminated?  i know it's hard to keep everything separate in a shared (with gluten eaters) kitchen.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Snag

Snag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

hello and welcome :)  and lolz there's no such thing as TMI around here!  

are you getting cross-contaminated?  i know it's hard to keep everything separate in a shared (with gluten eaters) kitchen.  

Thank you! And good to know. Learning social etiquette on forums can be quite daunting! :wacko:

It's a possibility. My husband is half joining me on the gluten free meals, although he takes a sandwich for lunch which is gluten filled. Sometimes I have made our sandwiches on the same bread board. Other times, not - but same reaction. I'll be careful over the next few days and observe! Thanks for the tip.  :) 

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi Snag,

Two words for ya, "elimination diet".  An elimination diet can help you pin point problem foods that may cause reactions.  But before you go down that road, it makes sense to do some basic things that might help.

Are you eating oats?  It is better to wait 6 months to a year before trying oats, as some of us react to them.

Any ingredient can cause a food reaction.  Celiac disease is not an allergy so it won't sow up on allergy testing.

Stop eating any processed foods for a month or so.  See if that helps.  Then slowly add one new food ingredient per week until you are better.

Sharing the cutting board is not a great idea.  It doesn't take much gluten to cause a reaction.  Getting all kissy-faced with the hubs with his gluten breath can cause problems too.  Make sure he is brushing and rinsing good before that sucky-face stuff or stick to cheek smooches.

Check pet food too, as sometimes that can get spread around on fur etc.

It is not real unusual for people to report ongoing symptoms for the first few months or even 6 or more months around here.  The immune reactions are not made to stop really quick or we would have big problems with germs that are in the environment.  Also gluten-free changes the food your gut bacteria get to eat too, and they may be unhappy with the change, or too happy.  Or some of both.  That can cause plenty of symptoms too.

And welcome to the forum, we are glad you are here! :)

Some tips:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

o, and a huge help for me when i am trying to figure out what is making me sick is to keep a food journal and write down everything that passes your lips

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

I either react to gluten free hot dogs, udi's buns, or both. I'm presuming it's gluten cc. I don't have an issue with soy, (no issue with tofu), I don't have an issue with corn, (corn on the cob is fine), I don't have a problem with whole rice, etc. But it really doesn't matter what in them doesn't make me feel good, I avoid them.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Yes, I do have problems with gluten-free products.  Some of us are sensitive to lower gluten levels than others.  Sensitivity levels seem to vary even among those who call themselves super sensitive celiacs.  Just because most celiacs can eat something doesn't mean that all celiacs can eat that thing.

The food/symptom journal and elimination/challenge dieting is a great way to find sources of cc or other food intolerances.  Be patient and you will get there.  I hope that you improve quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: