This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A List Of gluten-free Restaurants - Unconfirmed/confirmed.

Snag

Snag Rookie

A coworker at my husband's work happened to have celiacs/gluten intolerence/I'm-not-sure-what-but-one-of-the-two. My husband expressed that I suffered, too, and she compiled a list for me of gluten free restaurants. I thought I'd share, though I haven't confirmed all of these, so use with caution. If anyone has confirmed, do let me know. If anyone has any other restaurants that they'd like to add, feel free to comment below.

Applebee's: They have a gluten free menu, but you have to ask for it, and they sometimes have to print it off the computer. (Confirmed).

Red Lobster: They have a good gluten free menu; you have to ask for it, though. (Unconfirmed).

Logan's Roadhouse: A small gluten free menu. (Unconfirmed).

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co: They have a gluten free menu. You have to ask for it. The restaurant I went to in Gatlinburg, TN, even was gracious enough to modify a dish for me by taking out the deep fried shrimp and grilling it instead. However, I think this would depend on the manager (he was a kind man), and there's no guarantee that they clean the grills, either (I'm gluten intolerent, so cross contamination doesn't affect me as much). (Confirmed).

Olive Garden: I was looming over a topic on here about OG, so I'm sure it's nothing new, but they have a gluten free menu, too (Confirmed).

Uno's: Gluten free menu. One of the best I've seen in regards to restaurants. Extensive, and there's choice! (Confirmed).

Chili's: They have a gluten free menu, confirmed through their website (see Open Original Shared Link). It's at the very bottom.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Pei Wei - small but reliable gluten-free menu

PF Chang's - extensive gluten-free menu, most things on the regular menu can be made gluten-free, they cycle items thru the printed menu. Very reliable, read about them on their website

Applebys is a problem from what I have seen- they list foods that are gluten-free until they prepare them. For example the fries. They fry them in the same oil as all the inks with gluten, this making them no longer gluten-free. I think some other places are like that.

Red Robin - many people on here have had good luck with them. The fries are fried in a dedicated fryer.

With any restauraunt, they are only as good as the people working or the procedures in place. Alway tell them you need gluten-free even if an item seems to be gluten-free for everyone.

Adalaide Mentor

In N Out - I know it isn't sit down, but sometimes you're out and just need a quick bite. Just be careful on grilled onions, some stores will use the same spatula for onions and buns. They can make you fresh ones if you ask!

Rodizio Grill - they can provide you with a gluten free or an allergen menu when they seat you. Nearly everything the serve is gluten free, most notably the cheese bread! Yes, a restaurant that serves authentic, naturally gluten free bread. I can not say enough amazing things about this place. It is all you can eat meat so wear your fat pants and a belt with extra notches!

Just a note on two, I wouldn't eat at Applebee's or Chili's under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever. A gluten free menu does not mean a restaurant is capable of providing a safe gluten free dining experience and based on my conversations with staff in both of these places, they are far beyond incapable of providing safe meals. It isn't an issue with who I talked to or the location but simply that those types of restaurants are not equipped to handle our needs.

Snag Rookie

Just a note on two, I wouldn't eat at Applebee's or Chili's under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever. A gluten free menu does not mean a restaurant is capable of providing a safe gluten free dining experience and based on my conversations with staff in both of these places, they are far beyond incapable of providing safe meals. It isn't an issue with who I talked to or the location but simply that those types of restaurants are not equipped to handle our needs.

Thanks for clarifying for dietry noobs like me! :P  I do know my experience at Applebee's have been mixed. Sometimes I have felt fine, and other times have felt like I'm struggling with an alien inside my gut. Best listen to the experienced, as yourself.

Adalaide Mentor

There are so many restaurants, many of them local places, that are comparably priced. It just seems silly to risk our health to places like those when we can be treated like individuals and have our needs addressed, possibly by the owner or chef, and come away feeling great and valued as customers. Not just another cog in the machine, thrown in, spat out and to hell with what happens to us once our check is paid. At a large chain we are one of many, at a local place we are simply one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to chains. There are simply some that aren't suited to providing for us. Red Robin on the other hand I have heard nothing but amazing things about and I nearly talked my husband into taking me there over the weekend. Nearly. <_<

psawyer Proficient

Let's not forget Outback Steakhouse, one of the first to specifically cater to our needs.

bartfull Rising Star

Lintz Brother's Pizza in Hermosa South Dakota has a gluten-free pizza. They have family members with celiac so they know how to make it without CC. It is actually made in a different room (with a closed door) from their regular pizza. I haven't eaten there yet but a lot of my gluten-free friends eat there and none of them has ever had a problem.

I know it's not a chain so if you don't live here it'll do you no good, but if anyone wants to come see Mount Rushmore and the beautiful Black Hills sometime, ther IS a safe place to eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Snag Rookie

Let's not forget Outback Steakhouse, one of the first to specifically cater to our needs.

Thrilled! As an Aussie living in the states, I had to wonder. Thanks!

Kate79 Apprentice

Bonefish Grill is another chain, run by the same company as Outback, and they do a good job with gluten free as well.  Bit more expensive, though.

Nyytmc1987 Newbie

Hi I am new the website just recently developed celiacs. I wanted to say red lobster is very good they have very detailed menu for all allergies. UNOs and outback are also very good. I find my problems most times are with uneducated people and even if you tell them they don't fully understand.

karichelle Newbie

BJ's Brewhouse has a gluten-free menu, including pizza, and even a hot cookie and ice cream dessert.

julissa Explorer

I had Outback last night and it was pretty great. I also saw Capitol Grill got great reviews on another board. it is pretty pricey but we have always gone for our anniversary which is this week, so I may try it. will report back.

kareng Grand Master

Beau Jo's pizza -Colorado & S Dakota

Minksy's pizza - Kansas City

Waldo pizza -KC

Vinnys in Frisco Colorado   Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

I know this is super local, but for anyone who ever ends up in the Salt Lake area Eleanor's is positively divine. They are completely gluten free and mostly advertise as a bakery but also do pizza and arepas that are absolutely to die for. I would recommend not missing a chance to stop in if you're ever in the area.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

In the New England area, Burton's Grill is WAY beyond fantastic, with a dedicated fryer and

honestly really good food. They're in CT/MA.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I've had good luck with texas roadhouse grill.

rene83 Rookie

If you are in southern California 2 great places for pizza that are GREAT with gluten-free are:

AJ Bariles Chicago pizza in Yucaipa CA

Bill's Pizza in Palms Springs CA

Peggy Tye Newbie

What about in Canada????

kareng Grand Master

What about in Canada????

Anyone can add to this list, even people in Canada.  :D

There have been many threads on here about places to eat.  Maybe if you used the google function in the top right corner?

Denine Newbie

We have had good luck with Macaroni Grill.

anti-soprano Apprentice

My favorite quick spots are: 

Chick-fil-a (as far as I know this is regional to the South).  They don't put anything in their fryers but fries and their grilled chicken is gluten-free as well as many side items.  

Chipotle: Most of their food is gluten-free.  Get the bowl- obviously.  Oddly the guac is not gluten-free.  

Five Guys Burgers and Fries (can't live without it).  Employees are trained in how to handle food for gluten "allergies".  Fries are the only thing to go in their fryers. I feel very safe at this restaurant.

Of course, depending on your sensitivity, you can ask for them to change gloves (5 guys does it as part of their training).  I have never gotten glutened at any of these places and some times I have asked them to change gloves and sometimes I haven't asked for it and things works out fine.  Traveling in the south quite a bit, I've been to many different locations (but only one Chipotle).  

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I've only been gluten free for a month now, but have dined out.

Outback Steakhouse - I know a few of you have mentioned it already - but just want to say how SAFE I felt dining there. Even the server knew my meal was gluten free which means the waitress told the chef who told the server.

Pizzeria Uno's - was very impressed with the options and with the fact that it's in their regular menu and didn't have to ask for a special menu when I got there.

I've also found that smaller mom and pop diner/restaurant/pub places will do a lot to accomodate me --  more so than the bigger chains.

Supposedly McDonald's french fry fryers are ONLY for the fries, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try them yet.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Chipotle: Most of their food is gluten-free.  Get the bowl- obviously.  Oddly the guac is not gluten-free

Really? I thought the flour tortillas were the only thing not gluten-free at chipotle. Is that new?

kareng Grand Master

Chipotle: Most of their food is gluten-free.  Get the bowl- obviously.  Oddly the guac is not gluten-free

Really? I thought the flour tortillas were the only thing not gluten-free at chipotle. Is that new?

Not according to their website.

Open Original Shared Link

• 4 weeks later...
Lightforth Newbie

I can confirm Red Lobster. My adoptive mom is celiac (and I'm just starting to eat gluten free), and it's one of our favorite places to eat. They have a gluten free menu she requests every time we go there. She's never had a problem with getting sick from there, so they seem to be pretty good about watching out for cross-contamination as well. Or at least, the particular restaurant we go to is. 

Here is their allergy information webpage with a downloadable PDF. 

Open Original Shared Link

Plus Red Lobster is really awesome in general with special requests, and you can make up your own menu if you want. 

Archived