Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

A List Of gluten-free Restaurants - Unconfirmed/confirmed.

applebees gluten free chain restaurants red lobster logans roadhouse restaurants

• Please log in to reply

32 replies to this topic

#1 Snag

Snag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

A coworker at my husband's work happened to have celiacs/gluten intolerence/I'm-not-sure-what-but-one-of-the-two. My husband expressed that I suffered, too, and she compiled a list for me of gluten free restaurants. I thought I'd share, though I haven't confirmed all of these, so use with caution. If anyone has confirmed, do let me know. If anyone has any other restaurants that they'd like to add, feel free to comment below.

Applebee's: They have a gluten free menu, but you have to ask for it, and they sometimes have to print it off the computer. (Confirmed).

Red Lobster: They have a good gluten free menu; you have to ask for it, though. (Unconfirmed).

Logan's Roadhouse: A small gluten free menu. (Unconfirmed).

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co: They have a gluten free menu. You have to ask for it. The restaurant I went to in Gatlinburg, TN, even was gracious enough to modify a dish for me by taking out the deep fried shrimp and grilling it instead. However, I think this would depend on the manager (he was a kind man), and there's no guarantee that they clean the grills, either (I'm gluten intolerent, so cross contamination doesn't affect me as much). (Confirmed).

Olive Garden: I was looming over a topic on here about OG, so I'm sure it's nothing new, but they have a gluten free menu, too (Confirmed).

Uno's: Gluten free menu. One of the best I've seen in regards to restaurants. Extensive, and there's choice! (Confirmed).

Chili's: They have a gluten free menu, confirmed through their website (see here). It's at the very bottom.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Pei Wei - small but reliable gluten-free menu

PF Chang's - extensive gluten-free menu, most things on the regular menu can be made gluten-free, they cycle items thru the printed menu. Very reliable, read about them on their website

Applebys is a problem from what I have seen- they list foods that are gluten-free until they prepare them. For example the fries. They fry them in the same oil as all the inks with gluten, this making them no longer gluten-free. I think some other places are like that.

Red Robin - many people on here have had good luck with them. The fries are fried in a dedicated fryer.

With any restauraunt, they are only as good as the people working or the procedures in place. Alway tell them you need gluten-free even if an item seems to be gluten-free for everyone.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

In N Out - I know it isn't sit down, but sometimes you're out and just need a quick bite. Just be careful on grilled onions, some stores will use the same spatula for onions and buns. They can make you fresh ones if you ask!

Rodizio Grill - they can provide you with a gluten free or an allergen menu when they seat you. Nearly everything the serve is gluten free, most notably the cheese bread! Yes, a restaurant that serves authentic, naturally gluten free bread. I can not say enough amazing things about this place. It is all you can eat meat so wear your fat pants and a belt with extra notches!

Just a note on two, I wouldn't eat at Applebee's or Chili's under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever. A gluten free menu does not mean a restaurant is capable of providing a safe gluten free dining experience and based on my conversations with staff in both of these places, they are far beyond incapable of providing safe meals. It isn't an issue with who I talked to or the location but simply that those types of restaurants are not equipped to handle our needs.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 Snag

Snag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just a note on two, I wouldn't eat at Applebee's or Chili's under absolutely any circumstances whatsoever. A gluten free menu does not mean a restaurant is capable of providing a safe gluten free dining experience and based on my conversations with staff in both of these places, they are far beyond incapable of providing safe meals. It isn't an issue with who I talked to or the location but simply that those types of restaurants are not equipped to handle our needs.

Thanks for clarifying for dietry noobs like me! :P  I do know my experience at Applebee's have been mixed. Sometimes I have felt fine, and other times have felt like I'm struggling with an alien inside my gut. Best listen to the experienced, as yourself.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

There are so many restaurants, many of them local places, that are comparably priced. It just seems silly to risk our health to places like those when we can be treated like individuals and have our needs addressed, possibly by the owner or chef, and come away feeling great and valued as customers. Not just another cog in the machine, thrown in, spat out and to hell with what happens to us once our check is paid. At a large chain we are one of many, at a local place we are simply one.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to chains. There are simply some that aren't suited to providing for us. Red Robin on the other hand I have heard nothing but amazing things about and I nearly talked my husband into taking me there over the weekend. Nearly. <_<

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Let's not forget Outback Steakhouse, one of the first to specifically cater to our needs.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Lintz Brother's Pizza in Hermosa South Dakota has a gluten-free pizza. They have family members with celiac so they know how to make it without CC. It is actually made in a different room (with a closed door) from their regular pizza. I haven't eaten there yet but a lot of my gluten-free friends eat there and none of them has ever had a problem.

I know it's not a chain so if you don't live here it'll do you no good, but if anyone wants to come see Mount Rushmore and the beautiful Black Hills sometime, ther IS a safe place to eat.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Snag

Snag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Let's not forget Outback Steakhouse, one of the first to specifically cater to our needs.

Thrilled! As an Aussie living in the states, I had to wonder. Thanks!

#9 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Bonefish Grill is another chain, run by the same company as Outback, and they do a good job with gluten free as well.  Bit more expensive, though.

#10 Nyytmc1987

Nyytmc1987

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi I am new the website just recently developed celiacs. I wanted to say red lobster is very good they have very detailed menu for all allergies. UNOs and outback are also very good. I find my problems most times are with uneducated people and even if you tell them they don't fully understand.

#11 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

BJ's Brewhouse has a gluten-free menu, including pizza, and even a hot cookie and ice cream dessert.

#12 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

I had Outback last night and it was pretty great. I also saw Capitol Grill got great reviews on another board. it is pretty pricey but we have always gone for our anniversary which is this week, so I may try it. will report back.

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Beau Jo's pizza -Colorado & S Dakota

Minksy's pizza - Kansas City

Waldo pizza -KC

Vinnys in Frisco Colorado   http://vinnysfriscor...t.com/location/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I know this is super local, but for anyone who ever ends up in the Salt Lake area Eleanor's is positively divine. They are completely gluten free and mostly advertise as a bakery but also do pizza and arepas that are absolutely to die for. I would recommend not missing a chance to stop in if you're ever in the area.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

In the New England area, Burton's Grill is WAY beyond fantastic, with a dedicated fryer and

honestly really good food. They're in CT/MA.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: