7 replies to this topic

#1 megsybeth

megsybeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

I promised my 4yo I'd finally crack open my deep fat fryer to make donuts this weekend. Any advice for someone who's never used a fryer before?

Also, any good recipes?I don't like the cake style (krispy kreme), prefer old fashioned or cruellers. Would also appreciate freezing tips.

Thanks!
Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi Megan!

Ive never used a deep fryer...but have had luck making aebleskivers to satisfy the donut craving for my teens.

Let me know if you need the recipe....I used one that I found with tootle and just substituted gluten-free all purpose flour.....but can add link when I'm back on my laptop in the morning.

Ps...ours have never made it to the freezers.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

IF you ever find a recipe for fried donuts that taste like krispy kreme glazed I'd love the recipe. It's not something we'd eat often but we'd love them as a special treat sometimes. I've tried baked donuts and one recipe for fried but they weren't light and fluffy. We really dislike cake dounts.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm confused. Old Fashoined donuts ARE cake style. Crullers can be either. Although I've never had a Krispy Kreme, the one's CommonTater are talking about are glazed, and those are usually raised donuts.

Personally, I liked either kind back in the day, but my favorite way to eat them was plain. I liked plain cake donuts, and a couple of different times in my life I worked at a bakery. I loved to put aside a raised donut and eat it without the glaze. They taste like fry bread. Yum. Come to think of it, when I would go to the fair, I would have my fry dough (called fry bread here in the Dakotas) without the powdered sugar.

What HAPPENED to me??!!! I never used to like sweet stuff. Now I can't seem to get enough of it! :ph34r:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Lisa, I just looked up aebleskivers and they sound delicious. I'd like to try making some if you'll give us the recipe. Thanks!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

oh...they are fantastic...when I ended up with a nice peacock blue cast iron aebleskiver pan when my folks sent some things over for a yard sale...I couldn't let the pan go so I asked a friend of mine in Denmark for a recipe...lol he sent me this link as the one his Mom uses!!!

http://allrecipes.co...pe/aebleskiver/

All I do is replace the flour -- I use Pamela's bread mix or BRM All Purpose...the kids say the Pamela's batches are just a tad better.  Personally I think the buttermilk is the most important ingredient..

I have seen a lot of aebleskiver pans recently -- well last Christmas season in the stores...but it is a great yard sale/thrift store item too :)

Oh...the one trick I do is overfill the oil just a bit so that it stays hot and full enough to make several batches...

oh oh...the batter stays well in the frig for at least a few days...in fact the second day batter was one of my best batches.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

sometimes I make hot lemon glaze to drizzle or we have used blueberry jam -- powder sugar shaker is always on the table when I serve them :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

krispy kreme donut  copycat recipe....go to www.betterbatter.org.... one  is posted  there plus  loads  more  wonderful recipes....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: