65 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

It is with great sadness that I share the very bad news that one of our long-time board members and moderators passed away recently due to complications resulting from a stroke that she suffered a few weeks ago. She was very helpful to many on this board, and this thread is the place to share your thoughts and memories of her. She will be missed dearly by all she touched with her kindness, and I never got to say "thank you" to her for serving as a board moderator--thank you! 

Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I am stunned. She is the " iron lady " to me. One of the best people on c.com and one of the first to reach out to me
so long ago. Always an elegant lady,  but also one of the toughest broads I have ever met! 

She always teased me on threads and she told me more than once to "grow a thick skin, IH. Do not take anything personal and  stay as compassionate as you are."

We often shared PMs and our love of grammar and word play.

I am crying my head off right now and thinking.. ...buggers!! .  we  lost a great gal today. dammit, dammit, dammit.
She loved scotch, i know and I would tell her "blech, Shroom!"  but I will toast her with gin.... again and again

I told her "you are my NZ stop when I am well enough to do my world tour " and she said "you better hurry!"

So glad I told her more than once "i just love you ...and I appreciate your wisdom, kindness and enormous sense of humor." I recently told her the response she gave to a newbie was just the most amazing thing ever. (Because it was.)

And to her dear Hubs, Clayton...she always spoke of you with so much love! My heart aches for you.

She is my hero and her "let's start a thread of stupid stuff doctors say"  reigns supreme.

Cheers, Shroomie! Love you madly ...and now I have to stop because  I cannot see the keyboard anymore. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thank you, Scott. Our Shroomie was a force to be reckoned with for sure! She spent years on this board giving great, knowledgeable advice laced with caring and a wonderful sense of humor. Shroom somehow always had just the right words and was so generous with her replies.

She was a fixture on the "Tickle Me Elbow" thread, and it was there we became friends. I will miss checking in with her there and the silly banter that has ensued through the years.

Rest in peace, Shroomie.

My thoughts are with her husband, family and friends.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I had to read this 3 times before it sank in.  I still am having trouble comprehending that Mushroom is gone.  You know, and this is true, the other day her name just popped into my head.

Out of the blue and I thought....where has she been?  I haven't seen any posts from Mushroom.   I was going to ask Irish because I know how close they were.  Now I know and it makes me sick to my stomach. 

I lost a co-worker last summer.  He died of a heart attack, very suddenly.  We were close and I was so upset because I had been on vacation, moving into my new home and I thought of him the same way I thought of Mushroom.  He just popped into my head and I thought how I would seek him out as soon as I returned to work.  Then I got a call from others at work to tell me he was gone.  I never got to say good-bye and that will bother me forever.

Rest in peace, Mushroom, and my heartfelt condolences go out to her family.  God has scooped up another good one and it isn't fair that He always takes the best ones before their time.  :(

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Exactly right....God has scooped up one of the best.

Through tears I type...Shroomie you will not be forgotten - by me - or by countless people that you graciously advised with accurate along with sensible words...each and every day that you were able to do so.

Often late in the evening we would be the only mods online and would tag team --- I have missed you each time you've been ill...but firmly believed you could beat anything in your path....we joke about super powers...but I was certain you actually possessed them.

Rest in peace my dear friend...I will miss you always..."my Lectin Cuz"

My prayer today is for Neroli's husband, family and friends that they will find peace and that Shroomie has left a bit of her strength and determination behind to help them through the days to come.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thank you for letting us know, Scott.
My thoughts are with all her family and friends, especially the ones here.
She will be missed.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

rest in peace, shroomie.  thanks for all the great advice and helping to hold everybody's hand through this sometimes tough life we are trying to live.  i sure will miss you, especially on the cooking 'channel' xxoo and prayers are with your family.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thank you Scott for letting us know

When I was new to these forums Mushroom was one of the first to reach out to me . Thur my gluten induced fog Mushroom was a beacon , the voice of reason and encouragement. She gave me  hope  and knowledge  that  I so desperately  needed  at  start of my journey . She will be sadly missed. :(

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#9 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

I am shocked.  I've only known her for a year but she made a great impression on me and touched another's life.

To the Admin,  Moderators, and her close friends and family, I am deeply sorry for your loss. And praying for your strength. 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I had noticed that she had not posted in a while, but i didn't realize that she had passed. :(

I'm shocked. I thought she was one of the strongest members on here. She helped so many. She will be missed.

Thank you for letting us know. I was really starting to get concerned.

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Oh my. I'm shocked and heartbroken. When I first came here it was Mushroom, Irish, and Skylark who reached out to me with their knowledge and their compassion. I haven't seen Skylark here in a long time either and I'm almost afraid to ask...

Mushroom, I know you have a special place in Heaven. People as kind and giving as you are so rare in this world.

To her family, I thank you for sharing her with us, and you will all be in my prayers.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Shroomie, You helped me. Heck, you helped thousands. I miss you already. I can't believe I won't see your words of wisdom on here anymore. Rest in peace dear girl. You earned it.

My thoughts turn now to her family. May they be content in the knowledge that Shroomie has gone on to help others in another place.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Neroli was a friend to me, and to so many here. She was a pillar of strength, offering help and support to all who came here looking for it. Life threw her many challenges, and she overcame them all, until this last one.

She will be missed. Her wit always livened up anything she was in on. Rest in peace, my dear friend.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Shroomie was a great resource for this forum.  She gave good advice and spiced it up with humor often.  For someone who wasn't feeling too well herself she sure put in a lot of effort to give helpful answers to people's questions.  I think that shows love for her fellow humans.  My condolences to Clayton and her family.  The Lord made a fine catch today!  I imagine he's smiling real bright about now.  Happy trails to Shroomie!

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#15 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

This news just continues to seem completely unreal to me...how can Shroomie be gone? Brilliant, hilarious, compassionate.....and a real fighter. I am sure that the legacy she left is monumental, and a big part of it is the countless lost, sick, frustrated people whom she helped on this forum.

Thank you so much, Neroli. This place will never be the same without you.

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: