12 replies to this topic

#1 NatZag

NatZag

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have a pain in my lower right leg that has been occurring randomly over the last few months. It almost feels like my bone is about to split or theres a ton of pressure on the bones. I'm concerned that it has something to do with osteoporosis but I think I am just psyching myself out. I know there is a heightened risk with celiac disease so that is why I am concerned. I guess I should mention that I am only 20 years old and have been gluten free for about a year and a half now. Should I get anything specific checked out by a doctor or should I just mention that my leg feels this way? Has anyone else had this pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I don't have any specific advice since I have not had any bone pain, but as a mom I'd recommend seeing a doctor.  Take care.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Shin splints perhaps? http://en.wikipedia....ki/Shin_splints

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I had bone pain for awhile and it was my femur (thigh) bone.  That sucker hurt for 3 years after I went gluten-free.  I was limping some days, it was so bad.  Bone pain....not anything else.  I also have osteoporosis but that is a silent disease.  You usually never have pain with it or any discomfort....until you break a bone.  I am weight training to reverse that but have never broken a bone.

I doubt you have osteo because you are young and, even if your bones were a little compromised, at your age you should regenerate bone pretty easily because you still have your hormones. At 20, you have good levels of hormones too. 

I had an x-ray of my leg done and the doctor said the bone looked perfect....no arthritis or anything else.  So I went home and dealt with it.  At the 3 year mark of

being gluten-free, all of a sudden one day, I realized that my leg did not hurt anymore.  It has never returned.  I think it was either a vitamin deficiency that resolved once I healed or it was a neurological issue that healed and the leg stopped hurting.

You have been gluten-free for a year and half and that is good but not very long, in Celiac terms.  It can sometimes take 3-4 years for pain issues to resolve.  You could ask for an x-ray but if it comes back OK, then I wouldn't worry.  You may wake up one day and it will be gone.  That is the norm for many.

I wish you luck but it most likely is one of those quirky things that happen to us for many different reasons. If you are really worried, ask for an x-ray.  Those are pretty easy to do!

#5 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

It may be shin splits, especially if you have taken up any activities such as jogging, tennis, fast paced walking or if you started wearing new shoes. Spring weather brings out the flattest of flats so these actually work your lower legs. I just broke in a pair of new running shoes that were as flat as I could get and then got shin splits - was also forewarned from the salesperson I bought them from that this would happen. And this was from everyday movement, not running. Just a few things to think of while you work out where the pain is coming from.  Good luck.

#6 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

You might want to ask your doctor if these blood tests are appropriate for your symptoms:

CBC

Protein Electrophoresis
Immunofixation Electrophoresis

Immunoelectrophoresis

Do see a doctor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

have you moved somewhere or gotten a new job, etc, that has alot of stairs?  that (just in one leg and similar to shin splints) happens to me sometimes - one time my friend's elevator went out in her building and we had to walk it - 12 flights!!  it took them a week to get the part and oh, boy, i thought it was broken.  maybe try heat or ice?  to see if it goes away.  i think you are too young to worry with osteoperosis <sp but that is my opinion :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

Here is the story of a little girl with Osteoporosis that was posted on this forum.

http://www.celiac.co...re-blood-tests/

When it comes to Celiac, don't take anything for granted.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Here is the story of a little girl with Osteoporosis that was posted on this forum.

http://www.celiac.co...re-blood-tests/

When it comes to Celiac, don't take anything for granted.

Osteoporosis does not cause any pain.  It's a silent disease.  Even if someone that young, or anyone under the age of menopause, had it, once they go gluten-free and heal, it almost always reverses itself easily, due to youth and hormones.

Older people can reverse it too but it takes work and dedicated exercise. 

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

You might want to ask your doctor if these blood tests are appropriate for your symptoms:

CBC
Protein Electrophoresis
Immunofixation Electrophoresis
Immunoelectrophoresis

Do see a doctor.
Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm sorry but....recommending electrophoresis? Why? Seems a bit odd & extreme to recommend.

Natzag-
Do you run or do a sport a lot? You might want to see the doctor. It could definitely be shin split type thing. It sounds a little like someone I know who had a stress fracture. It sort of came and went. They figured it started to heal and then, when she felt better and used it more, it got worse.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm sorry but....recommending electrophoresis? Why? Seems a bit odd & extreme to recommend.

Agreed.

Serum protein electrophoresis is most often done to screen for a disease such as multiple myelomamacroglobulinemia, oramyloidosis.

Not sure why would someone with leg pain would request these tests .

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Are you a runner or doing workouts/athletics?

Diagnosis 11/2012

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have bouts with shin splints from time to time. Most recently, it occurred after I had been carrying heavy things up the flight of stairs from the basement. I did this repeatedly over the course of an hour (we were spring cleaning)

It hurt like hell. Really bad. The PT/MT that I see told me to ice the area-as in rub an  ice cube briskly over the area quickly... and make it numb.

Then, she told me to massage it. Then, apply heat for a few minutes. Ice takes care of inflammation and heat makes it "pliable" and relaxes the muscles.

She said:  do this a few times... in that order. I did.

The next day, it was all better.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: