11 replies to this topic

#1 hopefull799

hopefull799

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

I was just Diagnosed with celiac disease. I have chronic constipation. I have tried adding fiber & miralax. I Can only go using laxatives but who wants to do that all the time. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Probiotics,

ground flaxseed in a big glass of water,

more veggies and fruits,

more glasses of water (we need to stay hydrated),

yoga,

and

time. 

Time for the gut to heal.

If it continues, maybe ask for a thyroid panel. Sometimes hypothroidism causes big C (we just use that for constipation on here--we get lazy writing that out all the time  :D )

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you get it resolved soon.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ditto IrishHeart. My chronic C started to go after about 4 months once I began thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. At 11 months gluten-free, and 9 months on thyroid meds, it is pretty much better. I found patience was really helpful... And that is all that was helpful. Lol. I hope it is fixed for you soon.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thyroid meds helped some (thyroid dx was years before celiac).

It takes time for gluten-free to help with celiac d - or it did for me.

Exercise helps, so yoga like IH suggested or walking...

Sugar would make me a bit c'd. Dehydration. I needed LOTS of veggies to keep things steady. Not as sensitive now - coming up on 2 years.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 hopefull799

hopefull799

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Thanks everyone. I have added psyllium and flax seed oil also. Will see if that helps. This is all so overwhelming. Ever other disease has medicine u can take but celiac.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Thanks everyone. I have added psyllium and flax seed oil also. Will see if that helps. This is all so overwhelming. Ever other disease has medicine u can take but celiac.

And medications have their problems. I take the meds for thyroid. It isn't a magic pill. I don't eat gluten-it's closer to magical.

You'll get there.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

No medicine is a very good thing, you will come to see this when you feel better.

Use ground flax seed meal hon, not the flax  oil for getting the pipes to flow. Drink lots of water with this and the psyllium or you'll just get bound up.

Lack of enough water is often the reason so many people have C. 

Hang in there. Try to be patient--and get walking. You need to move...well, to "move". 

:)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

I am 3 1/2 years gluten-free and still struggle with constipation, although it is getting better.  Healing takes time and can take longer depending on your age, how long you have been sick and so on.   That doesn't help tho when dealing with C.!! 

I have used all of the suggestions given (water, water, water is a biggie) and walking.  That really helps as well.  I also drink a herbal tea called Smooth Move and it has really been a life saver for me.  Altho we would prefer things to be natural, sometimes it just doesn't work that way and our body needs a little help.  I started out taking the tea every night and did that for about 6 months (that's how long it took for me personally to get on track but everyone is different), then I went to every other night and now I am at every third night.  I know that my body is healing as there are days when I can go without any "help".    

#9 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

The reason some celiacs get constipated is that their damaged small intenstines don't process the food completely, which leads to the continuous absorbtion of the moisture in the food instead of the nutrients (since the food isn't comletely processed), until the food (then in stool form) has become extremely dry by the time it reaches the large intestines. That's why fibers alone don't help. You need water, and a lot of it + probiotics to help the intestines regulate and heal faster. The problem with chronic constipation is that it can cause the large intestines to get larger, and in turn not be able to feel when you need to go.. I think.. I'm not sure.. which is why you might be needing laxatives. I think that when I read about that I also read that they can go back to their original size after you've healed.

I was so reluctant and bummed about using probiotics in the beginning until everyone here convinced me to use them. They've done wonders!

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#10 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

By the way I am curious, since I also suffered from chronic constipation, what other symptoms did you experience beside the constipation? If you had cramps, what type? Do you have a rash, mood swings, depression and so on?

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#11 hopefull799

hopefull799

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

I had bloating, cramping, sides hurt, nausea, vomiting, tired all the time.

#12 rustycat

rustycat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I don't know if it will work for you, but I take a lot of magnesium every day and it has worked wonders - relaxes me, too! Just be careful to start slowly, if you take too much, you'll have the opposite problem.

Rickets (severe Vitamin D deficiency) shortly after birth
First trip to Dr with severe C, age 7
Infertility, multiple miscarriages, eventually adopted 2 boys (not related)
2010: Negative celiac blood test, but staying on gluten free diet due to vast improvement in all symptoms
2011: June - started low salicylate diet to improve rosacea - it worked really well!
2012: May - started Paleo way of eating. Emotions and blood sugar seem to have evened out. Brain fog vanished.

2013: May - after 4 month elimination diet, was able to add back dairy, but nightshades are gone for good (my arthritis is gone, too!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: