45 replies to this topic

#1 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I think we need a fun thread.  Bacon seems to be a popular food....so I thought...we need a thread of bacon recipes.

Here is an interesting one:

http://lovecookeat.com/bacon-cups/

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Can't find the link to the bacon jam everyone was making at Christmas.  Would someone add that, please?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Did someone say bacon??? Me  :wub:  BA-con!!

Bacon Jam Recipe

Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes | Makes 3 cups

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 medium yellow onions, cut into smallish dice
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
  • 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar, or less to taste
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (the real deal, please)

Directions

• 1. In a large skillet over mediumish heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel-lined plates to drain.
  • 2. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the skillet and reserve for another use. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the skillet, for 2 minutes. Add the bacon and stir to combine.
  • 3. If making this on a stove top, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

If making this in a slow-cooker, transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow-cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
  • 4. Let the bacon concoction cool slightly before transferring it to a food processor and pulsing until coarsely chopped. Spoon the bacon lusciousness into individual jars or other resealable containers and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Transfer to a pan and rewarm gently over low heat prior to indulgi

http://leitesculinar...-bacon-jam.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

http://www.baconfrea...on-recipes.html

http://baconshow.blogspot.com/

Dancing_Bacon_by_mrmaiden23.gif

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm dying to try this one!

http://beta.abc.go.c...s-Wendy-Bradley

Tasty Trashy Taters

ingredients
  • 1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
  • 1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
  • Hot Sauce
  • 1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
kitchenware
  • Sheet Pan

stepsingredients per stepinstructions
dotted_line.png
  • steps_1.png

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
  • steps_2.png
    1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
    1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
    Hot Sauce
    1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    To assemble, cut a small whole in each tater tot and place cheese in opening. Dash with hot sauce and wrap in bacon. Secure with toothpick, then roll in brown sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining taters.
  • steps_3.png

Bake about 15 to 20 minutes, flipping tots halfway through so that bacon cooks evenly. The cheese may bubble out and burn, but you can trim or pull it off when you take them out to cool. Serve warm.

Helpful Tips:
    1. Cut each slice of bacon in half for the perfect size strip to wrap each tot.
    2. Roll each bacon bundle in brown sugar for extra crunch.

LTES

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

sound good (drool)

think this would be tasty?? yeah, me too ! 

Bacon Brittle Recipe

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Roughly chop 4 slices of bacon and place in a food processor. Process bacon until it is finely chopped and forms a ball in the bowl.
  2. Cook bacon over medium to medium high heat, depending on your stove, until evenly browned. Drain bacon pieces in a fine mesh sieve and discard fat.
  3. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and corn syrup. Clip on a candy thermometer and cook to 300° F. Stir constantly.
  4. When sugar reaches 300° F remove from heat and remove candy thermometer. Stir in baking soda and bacon pieces and stir vigorously until all ingredients are well combined.
  5. Pour mixture onto a baking sheet lined with Reynold's Wrap Nonstick Foil. Allow candy to rest until it is cool enough to handle comfortably but not cold.
  6. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the candy and allow them melt. Spread chocolate evenly over the candy with a long spatula or knife.
  7. Place candy in the freezer just until the chocolate has completely hardened.
  8. Cut candy into pieces with a very sharp knife.
  9. Store candy in a single layer in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Servings : 8 

Recipe Source
Author: Brenda Beaman
Source : www.williamsonkenwood.com

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Tasty Trashy Taters

Holy Toledo! Those sound amazing!

I love this bacon recipe-- my MIL taught me how to make it years ago. It's not really a recipe, at this point I just do it by feel but I'll try....

GERMAN POTATO SALAD

Boil about 4 good sized (like a russet) potatoes in salted water. When tender, drain, cool, peel and slice.

Meanwhile, in a large pot such as a Dutch oven, fry about a half pound of bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

Retain about 2-3 tbsp. bacon grease in the pot, and sauté in it a small, finely minced onion till tender. Stir in 2 tbsp. each, sugar and flour of choice or cornstarch over low heat until smooth.

Add about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, when that is incorporated, increase heat to medium and stir in 2 cups of water until thickened and bubbly. (You may need more water) Add 1/2 tsp. celery seed and salt and pepper to taste.

Gently toss the potato slices onto the sauce. Crumble bacon and toss some in and sprinkle the rest on top. Enjoy.

This doubles or triples easily for parties, BBQs, etc and can be made ahead and reheated.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

That looks very similar to my Grammy's German potato salad, only she only uses red potatoes. I don't like russets in a potato salad. Too starchy. Blech. (Then again I just generally don't like russets.) We also use the same dressing for hot lettuce. Perfect for chilly late summer evenings. Lettuce with hot dressing and bacon? Yes please! German potato salad is probably my very favorite thing she ever made that wasn't baked goods.

Drain bacon pieces in a fine mesh sieve and discard fat.

This is clearly bad instructions. What she meant to say was save the fat for a more appropriate use!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

This is clearly bad instructions. What she meant to say was save the fat for a more appropriate use!

You can tell that clearly, she is not one of us  :lol: Who does not keep that bacon fat in a coffee can for later use? bacon amateurs

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Pig Candy

Use as many strips of bacon as you want (you will want a LOT)
coat each slice on both sides with dark brown sugar.
Bake in a rimmed pan on a rack at about 400 until bacon is done (careful, don't burn)
Let it cool.
Eat it up.
Warning: This is NOT Weight Watchers approved!

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Warning: This is NOT Weight Watchers approved!

no, huh?  :lol:  :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Same as bacon candy....just plain old bacon in the oven -- 350 for 20 mins....son has been getting off work at 230am and baking bacon -- two mornings this past week I have woken to foil covered cookie sheets with only bacon fat remaining ;)

Going have to stock a few other easy snacks for him -- certainly don't want to impede the work thing  :wub:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Same as bacon candy....just plain old bacon in the oven -- 350 for 20 mins....son has been getting off work at 230am and baking bacon -- two mornings this past week I have woken to foil covered cookie sheets with only bacon fat remaining ;)

Going have to stock a few other easy snacks for him -- certainly don't want to impede the work thing  :wub:

If I had to wake up every day smelling bacon I couldn't eat I'd go crazy! On the other hand, I agree that I'd do nearly anything to keep my daughter happily working.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

I always do bacon in the oven. Never with brown sugar, though. Must try that:)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

No,you're right... work is good !!! and hey, he's a doll face for using the foil at least!  :D and with all things regarding the men in our lives, we must "pick our battles", yes? yes. LOL

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: