This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bacon Recipes

kareng

kareng Grand Master

I think we need a fun thread.  Bacon seems to be a popular food....so I thought...we need a thread of bacon recipes.

Here is an interesting one:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Can't find the link to the bacon jam everyone was making at Christmas.  Would someone add that, please?

IrishHeart Veteran

Did someone say bacon??? Me  :wub:  BA-con!!

Bacon Jam Recipe

Hands-On Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes | Makes 3 cups

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 medium yellow onions, cut into smallish dice
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
  • 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar, or less to taste
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (the real deal, please)

Directions

• 1. In a large skillet over mediumish heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel-lined plates to drain.
  • 2. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the skillet and reserve for another use. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the skillet, for 2 minutes. Add the bacon and stir to combine.
  • 3. If making this on a stove top, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

If making this in a slow-cooker, transfer the mixture to a 6-quart slow-cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
  • 4. Let the bacon concoction cool slightly before transferring it to a food processor and pulsing until coarsely chopped. Spoon the bacon lusciousness into individual jars or other resealable containers and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Transfer to a pan and rewarm gently over low heat prior to indulgi

IrishHeart Veteran

Dancing_Bacon_by_mrmaiden23.gif

kareng Grand Master

I'm dying to try this one!

Tasty Trashy Taters

ingredients
  • 1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
  • 1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
  • Hot Sauce
  • 1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
kitchenware
  • Sheet Pan

stepsingredients per stepinstructions
dotted_line.png
  • steps_1.png

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
  • steps_2.png
    1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
    1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
    Hot Sauce
    1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    To assemble, cut a small whole in each tater tot and place cheese in opening. Dash with hot sauce and wrap in bacon. Secure with toothpick, then roll in brown sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining taters.
  • steps_3.png

Bake about 15 to 20 minutes, flipping tots halfway through so that bacon cooks evenly. The cheese may bubble out and burn, but you can trim or pull it off when you take them out to cool. Serve warm.

Helpful Tips:
    1. Cut each slice of bacon in half for the perfect size strip to wrap each tot.
    2. Roll each bacon bundle in brown sugar for extra crunch.
IrishHeart Veteran

sound good (drool)

think this would be tasty?? yeah, me too ! 

Bacon Brittle Recipe

Ingredients:

• 4 slices Open Original Shared Link
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/3/ cup Light Corn Syrup
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4 cup Milk Chocolate Chips

Directions:

1. Roughly chop 4 slices of bacon and place in a food processor. Process bacon until it is finely chopped and forms a ball in the bowl.
  2. Cook bacon over medium to medium high heat, depending on your stove, until evenly browned. Drain bacon pieces in a fine mesh sieve and discard fat.
  3. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and corn syrup. Clip on a candy thermometer and cook to 300° F. Stir constantly.
  4. When sugar reaches 300° F remove from heat and remove candy thermometer. Stir in baking soda and bacon pieces and stir vigorously until all ingredients are well combined.
  5. Pour mixture onto a baking sheet lined with Reynold's Wrap Nonstick Foil. Allow candy to rest until it is cool enough to handle comfortably but not cold.
  6. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the candy and allow them melt. Spread chocolate evenly over the candy with a long spatula or knife.
  7. Place candy in the freezer just until the chocolate has completely hardened.
  8. Cut candy into pieces with a very sharp knife.
  9. Store candy in a single layer in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Servings : 8 

Recipe Source
Author: Brenda Beaman
Source : www.williamsonkenwood.com

jerseyangel Proficient

Tasty Trashy Taters

Holy Toledo! Those sound amazing!

I love this bacon recipe-- my MIL taught me how to make it years ago. It's not really a recipe, at this point I just do it by feel but I'll try....

GERMAN POTATO SALAD

Boil about 4 good sized (like a russet) potatoes in salted water. When tender, drain, cool, peel and slice.

Meanwhile, in a large pot such as a Dutch oven, fry about a half pound of bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

Retain about 2-3 tbsp. bacon grease in the pot, and sauté in it a small, finely minced onion till tender. Stir in 2 tbsp. each, sugar and flour of choice or cornstarch over low heat until smooth.

Add about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, when that is incorporated, increase heat to medium and stir in 2 cups of water until thickened and bubbly. (You may need more water) Add 1/2 tsp. celery seed and salt and pepper to taste.

Gently toss the potato slices onto the sauce. Crumble bacon and toss some in and sprinkle the rest on top. Enjoy.

This doubles or triples easily for parties, BBQs, etc and can be made ahead and reheated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

That looks very similar to my Grammy's German potato salad, only she only uses red potatoes. I don't like russets in a potato salad. Too starchy. Blech. (Then again I just generally don't like russets.) We also use the same dressing for hot lettuce. Perfect for chilly late summer evenings. Lettuce with hot dressing and bacon? Yes please! German potato salad is probably my very favorite thing she ever made that wasn't baked goods.

Drain bacon pieces in a fine mesh sieve and discard fat.

This is clearly bad instructions. What she meant to say was save the fat for a more appropriate use!

IrishHeart Veteran

This is clearly bad instructions. What she meant to say was save the fat for a more appropriate use!

You can tell that clearly, she is not one of us  :lol: Who does not keep that bacon fat in a coffee can for later use? bacon amateurs

mbrookes Community Regular

Pig Candy

Use as many strips of bacon as you want (you will want a LOT)

coat each slice on both sides with dark brown sugar.

Bake in a rimmed pan on a rack at about 400 until bacon is done (careful, don't burn)

Let it cool.

Eat it up.

Warning: This is NOT Weight Watchers approved!

IrishHeart Veteran

Warning: This is NOT Weight Watchers approved!

no, huh?  :lol:  :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Same as bacon candy....just plain old bacon in the oven -- 350 for 20 mins....son has been getting off work at 230am and baking bacon -- two mornings this past week I have woken to foil covered cookie sheets with only bacon fat remaining ;)

Going have to stock a few other easy snacks for him -- certainly don't want to impede the work thing  :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

Same as bacon candy....just plain old bacon in the oven -- 350 for 20 mins....son has been getting off work at 230am and baking bacon -- two mornings this past week I have woken to foil covered cookie sheets with only bacon fat remaining ;)

Going have to stock a few other easy snacks for him -- certainly don't want to impede the work thing  :wub:

If I had to wake up every day smelling bacon I couldn't eat I'd go crazy! On the other hand, I agree that I'd do nearly anything to keep my daughter happily working.

jerseyangel Proficient

I always do bacon in the oven. Never with brown sugar, though. Must try that:)

IrishHeart Veteran

No,you're right... work is good !!! and hey, he's a doll face for using the foil at least!  :D and with all things regarding the men in our lives, we must "pick our battles", yes? yes. LOL

GottaSki Mentor

I always do bacon in the oven. Never with brown sugar, though. Must try that:)

We did the candied bacon on Christmas Morning -- received hugs in return -- great deal :)

jerseyangel Proficient

We did the candied bacon on Christmas Morning -- received hugs in return -- great deal :)

Great deal indeed! :)
IrishHeart Veteran

well, Ski, I would hug you too... if'n you made me candied bacon...any morning ;)  :D

Adalaide Mentor

I make it for my husband when I am going to be ask him for something I know he won't want to say yes to. Always a day or two before I ask so it doesn't seem like bribery. :D

GottaSki Mentor

I make it for my husband when I am going to be ask him for something I know he won't want to say yes to. Always a day or two before I ask so it doesn't seem like bribery. :D

Didn't you tell us about it around Christmas time...oh ya...when we were all having a bacon party after the Redunkulous Bacon Jam spread like wildfire.

Thank you :)

june27 Apprentice

Jalapano poppers:

1 package cream cheese

~11 jalapeno peppers

1 package bacon (I usually use turkey bacon because it has less fat, but am not sure what kinds are gluten-free)

cut peppers in half (long way).  remove most of the seeds/membrane - i like to keep a little membrane in for a little heat, or you can remove it all if you do not like spicy.  fill pepper halves with cream cheese.  wrap each pepper half with 1 strip of bacon. 

cook:

winter:  bake in oven at 350 degrees for ~40 minutes (or until bacon is fully cooked)

summer:  cook on grill.  med heat, ~ 10 min then flip and cook another 10 minutes (or until bacon is done).  be careful when flipping, because the cheese tends to ooze out if you aren't careful.  

Juliebove Rising Star

One of my favorites is a good party food.  Buy cherry tomatoes.  Wash them.  Cut the tops off and reserve (if you want).  Use a melon baller or a small spoon to scoop the guts of the tomato out.  Discard.  Turn the tomatoes upside down on paper towels for about a half an hour to drain the juice off.

Meanwhile, cook some bacon until crisp.  Crumble it and mix with some mayo and sliced green onion.  You can add parsley to this.  You can also add parmesan cheese.  Some recipes call for this but I've never tried it.  Add enough mayo to hold it all together.  Stuff the tomatoes with this mixture and place them on a platter that has been lined with a bed of curly parsley.  This prevents them from rolling around.  You can cap them with the tops if you want.  If you do, you'll need to spear them with a toothpick (preferably a decorative one) to keep them in place.

These need to be made fresh but you can keep them in the fridge for up to two hours.

IrishHeart Veteran

you know that after all this time....,  he knows, right? They always know, but they play along...and vice versa. It's a win-win  :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

check this out...

GottaSki Mentor
  Stuff the tomatoes with this mixture and place them on a platter that has been lined with a bed of curly parsley.  This prevents them from rolling around. 

These sound delicious and beautiful too -- going to serve before Sunday dinner this weekend...thanks :)

Archived