45 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I always do bacon in the oven. Never with brown sugar, though. Must try that:)

We did the candied bacon on Christmas Morning -- received hugs in return -- great deal :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

We did the candied bacon on Christmas Morning -- received hugs in return -- great deal :)

Great deal indeed! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

well, Ski, I would hug you too... if'n you made me candied bacon...any morning ;)  :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I make it for my husband when I am going to be ask him for something I know he won't want to say yes to. Always a day or two before I ask so it doesn't seem like bribery. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

I make it for my husband when I am going to be ask him for something I know he won't want to say yes to. Always a day or two before I ask so it doesn't seem like bribery. :D

Didn't you tell us about it around Christmas time...oh ya...when we were all having a bacon party after the Redunkulous Bacon Jam spread like wildfire.

Thank you :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#21 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Jalapano poppers:

1 package cream cheese

~11 jalapeno peppers

1 package bacon (I usually use turkey bacon because it has less fat, but am not sure what kinds are gluten-free)

cut peppers in half (long way).  remove most of the seeds/membrane - i like to keep a little membrane in for a little heat, or you can remove it all if you do not like spicy.  fill pepper halves with cream cheese.  wrap each pepper half with 1 strip of bacon. 

cook:

winter:  bake in oven at 350 degrees for ~40 minutes (or until bacon is fully cooked)

summer:  cook on grill.  med heat, ~ 10 min then flip and cook another 10 minutes (or until bacon is done).  be careful when flipping, because the cheese tends to ooze out if you aren't careful.  

#22 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

One of my favorites is a good party food.  Buy cherry tomatoes.  Wash them.  Cut the tops off and reserve (if you want).  Use a melon baller or a small spoon to scoop the guts of the tomato out.  Discard.  Turn the tomatoes upside down on paper towels for about a half an hour to drain the juice off.

Meanwhile, cook some bacon until crisp.  Crumble it and mix with some mayo and sliced green onion.  You can add parsley to this.  You can also add parmesan cheese.  Some recipes call for this but I've never tried it.  Add enough mayo to hold it all together.  Stuff the tomatoes with this mixture and place them on a platter that has been lined with a bed of curly parsley.  This prevents them from rolling around.  You can cap them with the tops if you want.  If you do, you'll need to spear them with a toothpick (preferably a decorative one) to keep them in place.

These need to be made fresh but you can keep them in the fridge for up to two hours.

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

you know that after all this time....,  he knows, right? They always know, but they play along...and vice versa. It's a win-win  :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

check this out...

http://www.bakonvodka.com/story

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

Stuff the tomatoes with this mixture and place them on a platter that has been lined with a bed of curly parsley.  This prevents them from rolling around. 

These sound delicious and beautiful too -- going to serve before Sunday dinner this weekend...thanks :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#26 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

check this out...

http://www.bakonvodka.com/story

There is a restaurant in Chicago that served Bloodies...with Bacon and Bacon flavored vodka -- hmmm I wonder if I can manage to get tomato back by September :rolleyes:

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

There is a restaurant in Chicago that served Bloodies...with Bacon and Bacon flavored vodka -- hmmm I wonder if I can manage to get tomato back by September :rolleyes:

why not? we've come this far!! never say die babes! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I wonder if either of you will care!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#29 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I wonder if either of you will care!

Hmmm...bloody for bedtime instead of brunch might work...I'll pin a note to my shirt -- should I blow up like a balloon or stop breathing...please stab with epi pen and shove in a taxi to UoC :P

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Hmmm...bloody for bedtime instead of brunch might work...I'll pin a note to my shirt -- should I blow up like a balloon or stop breathing...please stab with epi pen and shove in a taxi to UoC :P

Just hand me the epi first, then have at it!  ^_^

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: