#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Just hand me the epi first, then have at it!  ^_^

I was just going to say.....oh dear gawd, please...........give K the big bag o' pens!!  :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

This was from a Wife Swap where the swapped wife tried to throw out this young man's bacon. Cracks me up every time I see it!!

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#33 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Apparently, many people stir their coffee with a piece of bacon so:

http://www.bocajava....urce=igodigital

Not sure if its gluten-free, probably is.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Apparently, many people stir their coffee with a piece of bacon so:

http://www.bocajava....urce=igodigital

Not sure if its gluten-free, probably is.

It's popular, based on 368 reviews. :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#35 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

http://beta.abc.go.c...-Peter-Kaminsky

It was bacon day today on The Chew.  I thought a coffee cake might translate well to gluten free.  For the really lazy, like me, the Betty Crocker gluten-free yellow cake mix makes a good coffee cake.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#36 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

I saw that cake-- would love to try it!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#37 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I saw that cake-- would love to try it!

And what about this one?  Its basically a slab of bacon disguised as a roast!  :D

http://beta.abc.go.c...y-Mario-Battali

LTES

#38 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

And what about this one? Its basically a slab of bacon disguised as a roast! :D

http://beta.abc.go.c...y-Mario-Battali

Oh yeah, I'd try that too!! lol
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#39 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Grilled bacon is unctuous.  Take a slab of side bacon, slice thickly, brush with maple syrup and BBQ sauce and grill.  It crisps and becomes absolute perfection.

bacon.gif

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#40 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'm dying to try this one!

http://beta.abc.go.c...s-Wendy-Bradley

Tasty Trashy Taters

ingredients
  • 1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
  • 1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
  • Hot Sauce
  • 1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
kitchenware
  • Sheet Pan

stepsingredients per stepinstructions
dotted_line.png
  • steps_1.png

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
  • steps_2.png
    1/2 bag Tater Tots (thawed to room temperature)
    1 8-ounce package Sharp Cheddar Cheese (cut in 1/4-inch squares)
    Hot Sauce
    1 16-ounce package Bacon (strips cut in half)
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    To assemble, cut a small whole in each tater tot and place cheese in opening. Dash with hot sauce and wrap in bacon. Secure with toothpick, then roll in brown sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining taters.
  • steps_3.png

Bake about 15 to 20 minutes, flipping tots halfway through so that bacon cooks evenly. The cheese may bubble out and burn, but you can trim or pull it off when you take them out to cool. Serve warm.

Helpful Tips:
    1. Cut each slice of bacon in half for the perfect size strip to wrap each tot.
    2. Roll each bacon bundle in brown sugar for extra crunch.

I made this last night.  Its WONDERFUL! 

They are a bit hard to assemble.  I left my tator tots out too long to thaw and they seemed a bit dry and crumbled when cut.  I might try them frozen next time. I found the easiest thing is just to slice them in half and stick 2 thin pieces of a good sharp cheddar in between, then wrap.  I laid out the little half strips of bacon and splashed them with the hot sauce first.  I stuck them in the brown sugar for the bottom and put them on a pan lines with foil (they make a big mess).  At the end, I added brown sugar to the tops.  They are fragile while you are making them so that was easier.  I cooked them 10 minutes longer and didn't flip them.

LTES

#41 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

I saw this recipe once and thought I would like to try it. I'm thinking that again but I have a brilliant idea. Instead of buying tater tots, wouldn't it almost be easier to just make tater tots and shape them into little balls around the cheese?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#42 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Or scratch that and just do the bacon ranch tots and put them around little cheese squares. I still like the idea of them being bacon wrapped though. I think it has been far too long since I've had a tot, I need to make some!

http://www.yumsugar....Recipe-30502651

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#43 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

I made this last night.  Its WONDERFUL! 

They are a bit hard to assemble.  I left my tator tots out too long to thaw and they seemed a bit dry and crumbled when cut.  I might try them frozen next time. I found the easiest thing is just to slice them in half and stick 2 thin pieces of a good sharp cheddar in between, then wrap.  I laid out the little half strips of bacon and splashed them with the hot sauce first.  I stuck them in the brown sugar for the bottom and put them on a pan lines with foil (they make a big mess).  At the end, I added brown sugar to the tops.  They are fragile while you are making them so that was easier.  I cooked them 10 minutes longer and didn't flip them.

Me too...note on the assembly after Karen added this note...I left the tot bag in the frig for the afternoon (tots were still real cold but not frozen solid) then assembled by cutting in half, placing the cube of cheddar between -- I wrapped in bacon - skipped the hot sauce as one of my men can't do pepper - did serve with hot sauce and others added at the table.  Also I placed the bacon wrapped tot directly on the foil lined cookie sheet and sprinkled the brown sugar on top -- seemed to work as the sugar mixed with the bacon fat as it bakes and they seemed to have sugar all over when done.

:wub:  picky Sister loved them -- men too -- but fun to spoil by Sis once in awhile :wub:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#44 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have family that posts the most annoying crap on facebook all the time... but today I saw this. :D

Bacon Cheddar Potato Cakes - made from leftover mashed potatoes

3 slices bacon
4 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
2 eggs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon slices, crumble, and set aside. Leave the bacon drippings in the skillet.

Mix the mashed potatoes, eggs, onion powder, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl; stir in the crumbled bacon and Cheddar cheese.

Form the mixture into 8 patties. Heat the bacon drippings over medium heat, and pan-fry the patties in the drippings until crisp on each side, about 4 minutes per side.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#45 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have family that posts the most annoying crap on facebook all the time... but today I saw this. :D

Bacon Cheddar Potato Cakes - made from leftover mashed potatoes
3 slices bacon
4 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
2 eggs1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon slices, crumble, and set aside. Leave the bacon drippings in the skillet.
Mix the mashed potatoes, eggs, onion powder, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl; stir in the crumbled bacon and Cheddar cheese.
Form the mixture into 8 patties. Heat the bacon drippings over medium heat, and pan-fry the patties in the drippings until crisp on each side, about 4 minutes per side.

My Irish grandma used to do this with mashed potatoes. We didn't add any bacon or cheese. We called them Irish Latkes! These would be so yummy!

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: