4 replies to this topic

#1 julissa

julissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. after my diagnosis I had food allergy testing and was tested for many things, rice was one of them, which showed no allergic reaction. (dairy and soy showed allergic).  I have eaten rice a few times with no issues.

now I see I am reacting to brown rice flour, it took me a while to figure this one out, but I am absolutely sure of this.

I haven't eaten rice lately just out of fear.

I am just wondering if anyone has any insight for me on this reaction to brown rice flour. this is annoying as it is many gluten-free products like bread, crackers, etc.

thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

i know that sometimes flour can be cc'd. bobs red mill rice flour is made in a facility that processes soy.

#3 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

thanks, I usually won't buy things that say they are made in a facility that processes soy, but I just checked a container of Gillian's  breadcrumbs and it doesn't say anything about soy, just dedicated to gluten free.

hmm, I guess you don't really know about facilities. I also wasn't able to handle the gluten-free chex cereals, and a bunch of other things.

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

thanks, I usually won't buy things that say they are made in a facility that processes soy, but I just checked a container of Gillian's  breadcrumbs and it doesn't say anything about soy, just dedicated to gluten free.

hmm, I guess you don't really know about facilities. I also wasn't able to handle the gluten-free chex cereals, and a bunch of other things.

Chex has vitamins that are derived from soy from what i've heard.

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I also have trouble with brown rice, usually just whole brown rice (too much fibre for my poor gut to handle, likely). Usually in flour form its fine, but it does bother me on occasion. White rice is no problem as long as I don't eat too much at once. I don't have a know allergy or intolerance, it's just something my body doesn't always like to process.

I am soy intolerant though, so there's always the fear of soy cc. i also try not to get things made in the same facility as soy, but that's not always stated.

However, if you have a soy intolerance, that's something to watch for.

Good to know about the Bob's red mill. I use a lot of their products but have never had problems.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: