7 replies to this topic

#1 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Most of us have more food allergies than just wheat, barley, and rye but I feel like one of my allergies is kind of strange and I haven't met anyone outside of my family that has it. I'm allergic to cinnamon, have been since I was 20. I never had a problem with it when I was younger and made a lot of desserts with it because it helps keep away illness. Is any one else allergic to Cinnamon? I wish I wasn't, I have gotten used to not eating it but the smell is so yummy! Even if it does make me sneeze and my face itchy :-/
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Two spices that I like are fennel and fenugreek.  Fennel has a light licorice flavor and I use in gluten-free muffins or cookies.  Fenugreek tastes somewhat like maple.  My family likes the flavor.  I also sometimes use peppermint leaves for a light minty flavor.

I am missing cinnamon, but I can possibly eat it again one day. I know, one can't help smelling it from afar when it is being baked.   Yet, some other spices are a nice change of pace.

#3 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Two spices that I like are fennel and fenugreek. Fennel has a light licorice flavor and I use in gluten-free muffins or cookies. Fenugreek tastes somewhat like maple. My family likes the flavor. I also sometimes use peppermint leaves for a light minty flavor.

I am missing cinnamon, but I can possibly eat it again one day. I know, one can't help smelling it from afar when it is being baked. Yet, some other spices are a nice change of pace.

So you are allergic to cinnamon too? When did it develop?
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#4 blessedmamaofmany

blessedmamaofmany

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I've only met one other person who's allergic to cinnamon.  That must stink.  Especially around Christmas time when everything is all cinnamon-y.  What a drag.  

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have a food intolerance to cinnamon, but the hope is that as my body calms down and my digestion improves that it won't be a problem anymore.  I have got some other foods back, but since spices are so small, they are not my first priority to get back in.

#6 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

I know someone allergic to cinnamon, can't remember who it is...  But I've got a weird one too...  Rosemary.  Its so crazy!

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

So you are allergic to cinnamon too? When did it develop?

I found out by being tested for antibodies to cinnamon and tested positive. It registered as an intolerance.  I waited the indicated amount of time and longer before I tried it.  A week or so ago, I tried a supplement that had cinnamon in it.  It caused a unique reaction that I didn't get from anything else  I got aching joints and my usual general swelling. .  Use to get achy joints mysteriously in my gluten life.  This is the first trouble I had trying to add back in foods. 

I think that I would rather live without cinnamon than potatoes; I am not quite sure.  I say that because I tried mashed potatoes before I went on the cinnamon riddened supplement.  When My joints ached, I blamed it on the potato trial.  But my joints still hurt 8 days later, so then I noticed the cinnamon in the supplement.  I stopped taking it and my joints stopped aching the next day.

Soon, I will enjoy mashed potatoes again, perhaps for the last time.  I can live without the achy joints.

D

#8 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Most of us have more food allergies than just wheat, barley, and rye but I feel like one of my allergies is kind of strange and I haven't met anyone outside of my family that has it. I'm allergic to cinnamon, have been since I was 20. I never had a problem with it when I was younger and made a lot of desserts with it because it helps keep away illness. Is any one else allergic to Cinnamon? I wish I wasn't, I have gotten used to not eating it but the smell is so yummy! Even if it does make me sneeze and my face itchy :-/

I have a diagnosed allergy to nutmeg. Like most of my other delayed reaction allergies, consuming nutmeg gives me days bloating and gut pain and sometimes diarrhea.  Many people have spice allergies.  I'm also allergic to vanilla.  I'm still recovering from my last accidental ingestion, which caused all the above mentioned symptoms.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: