1 reply to this topic

#1 FabRik

FabRik

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

HI there, I'm new to this board and I would like to start by saying that I have not been diagnosed with Celiac (neither has it been ruled out). I was referred to this site for the rich resources available about eating gluten free and as a support network with others dealing with the difficulty of living with the daily problems of living with such restrictions.  I have, however, been diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Symptoms including, tightening of the airway, dysphagia, choking, gastrointestinal distress. I also had a rash that started around the same time these symptoms began. On and off, I couldn't correlate it to anything. I started with an upper gi. My physician said that if I wanted, before he did a scope, I could try an elimination diet.

So for several weeks I went off of dairy, wheat, soy, nuts, seafood and eggs. (and I do mean religiously. I did not 'cheat' and read every package on every thing, nor did I eat out for fear of the unknown) I started adding these back into my diet slowly and watching for response. Everything was added back into my diet without issue. Shortly before I got to the last thing on the list, wheat, I had buckwheat with dinner. I had a reaction. I thought it was supposed to be safe! Then I tried quinoa. same issue. Then teff and millet. Issues there too. I still have yet to try wheat, but I fear the worst. When I was tested for allergy to wheat, it came back clear, but my physician said that I could have an intolerance which isn't the same as an allergy. I have no problem with rice or seeds.

My question is, have any of you experienced this sort of issue? I am curious because I thought out of all those things I should be able to find an alternative to wheat. I have been using rice flour and chickpea, but I am having difficulty finding too much on the internet about intolerances or allergies with these grain substitutions. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Allergy and intolerance are often used interchangeably by docs, if your tested showed an allergy to wheat then you gave an allergy to wheat, you could also ave an intolerance to wheat but that wouldn't show up on an allergy test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: