Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Questions To Ask Doc Doing Endoscopy?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I am getting and endo/colonoscopy done.. this friday! Yay! Im actually more excited for this then I am for my high school graduation in like a week, lol. Anyways, I will call the office tomorrow to ask if I will be able to talk to the doc before surgery, but what were your expiriences??

I'm just so afraid that he wont take enough biopsies or just SOMETHING, and he'll miss something... I plan on going gluten free no matter what after this, but I just want to POSITIVELY rule out celiacs...

So what questions should I ask??? And any advice for preparation?

THANKS!

Ads by Google:

If the damage is patchy, it is very possible to miss it, regardless of how many biopsies are taken.

If the damage is patchy, it is very possible to miss it, regardless of how many biopsies are taken.

:(

Just remember, you already know gluten is an issue for you, so I would go prepared with a list of the symptoms you've experienced since adding gluten back in. Even if Celiac is ruled out, the GI should consider NCGI, and push for that diagnosis so you can have it documented for college. Hugs honey, good luck!

Oh and to answer your original question (lol), the questions I have on my list (my EGD is Thurs):

- how many biopsy samples will be taken (I plan to push for at least 4, if not 6)

- what other samples (mucosal or otherwise) are planned in order to rule out infection/parasite, etc

- what are the possible complications of the procedure?

- expected recovery duration from the sedation?

He could actually diagnose me with NCGI?!?! I'd be happy with that, ha. I just really want some kind of diagnoses! But okay, those are great questions, I'll ask them as well. Your appointment is one day before mine! Hope all goes well for you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Lisa, I completely understand why you didn't do a biopsy on your daughter.  I went through the appendix thing myself...not fun!  I was diagnosed with just bloodwork and no biopsy, but did have the full panel.  I would go back to your PCP and ask for a full panel to include TTG, EMA and DGP tests.  Since she was already willing to test you, I'm sure she would be willing to order these.  Good luck!
    • katesyl.........this is an older topic so the OP most likely won't answer.  I can, however, offer a piece of advice for you. Just going gluten free will probably not drive your inflammation markers down into normal.  It does depend on how high they were to begin with but with all autoimmune diseases, there will be inflammation going on forever.  Get used to wonky blood work because most of us will have that issue. I have 4 autoimmune diseases in total and, although I have driven certain inflammatory markers way down, my recent sed rate number was elevated.  The normal is supposed to be 30 and under in a woman my age but mine is 50.  With 4 AI diseases, I doubt it will ever be normal and I don't let it bother me. I am not willing to take major meds at all and use more natural anti-inflammatory supplements.  You can do whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to treatment but don't expect normal numbers with Celiac Disease. Inflammation will improve but normal?  Most people never get there completely.
    • My daughter's PCP did not go against anything, she offered to do the biopsy - I was the one opposed to it. My DD, who was 10 at the time had just spent 3 weeks in the hospital, very sick with a ruptured appendix, then had 2 surgeries a few months after. I didn't see the need to put her through anything else with her numbers so high and all the classic symptoms. Apparently, in some other countries, if your numbers are all high, they forego biopsy. Anyway, I was really asking about myself and whether I should push for add'l testing. I am still new this this and trying to get up-to-date and wasn't sure if my PCP should conduct other blood tests before I go completely gluten-free. I have been somewhat gluten-free, but not entirely. I have no problem going gluten-free, but want to make sure that I am doing it for the right reasons. I wasn't sure if the Gliadin Abs IgA was sufficient to point to Celiac and possibly doing a biopsy for me. Or if additional blood test would make more sense.   Thanks!!
    • I would like to know if you have found out the source of your inflammation yet. I'm gluten free three years but my inflammation test was high.
    • Personally, I would ask for the full Celiac panel and see what that shows.  I mean, the full Monty, not just cherry picking testing.  On the full panel, if the tTg and the EMA come back positive, that is a diagnosis without biopsy.  This is how I was diagnosed and there is absolutely no doubt I have Celiac.  I presented with classic celiac so it was a no brainer with my blood results. If you cannot stick to the diet religiously, without cheating, unless you have a biopsy picture, then I would go on to have a biopsy.  Like your daughter, I was way too sick to have one done at the time.  They would not have agreed to use sedation because I was so anemic and malnourished and that ended that!  Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Otto'sMom