7 replies to this topic

#1 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've been wanting to start on probiotics which lead me to poking around in different research leading me to this page:
http://www.nytimes.c...anted=all&_r=1

It is a very long read but packed with info about our guts. All very interesting and I just thought I would share, I feel like this is great research! Please give me your thoughts!

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Fascinating. Thank you!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Very neat. I like the direction it is going. Thanks!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Yeah I thought it was very fascinating! I knew we had a lot going on in there and lots of tiny organisms at work but I liked this guys angle and how he related it to farming. Thank you both for reading, I know it was really long but was interesting enough to keep me reading.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#5 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

that is really interesting, brandi - thanks.  although all the fecal implant references made me go 'ewwww'  lolz.  reminded me of something, too - my sister is a much better housekeeper than i (she also had half as many kids!  in my defense!) my house was always a little sticky and tracked up.  she sanitized/degermed everything and her kids were sick alllllll the time.  mine were hardly ever sick, which is kind of a miracle being as there were so many of them so twice as much exposure to everything and all kinds of opportunities to bring germs home to the family.   she also was a 'run to the doctor' at the drop of a hat while i (had no $$ haha) waited to see if their illness would go away on it's own <80% of the time it did.  they are still pretty germ resistant, i guess, they don't catch every little thing that comes around even as adults :)  good thing i'm a slob hahahahahahahaaaa   ^_^

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

that is really interesting, brandi - thanks. although all the fecal implant references made me go 'ewwww' lolz. reminded me of something, too - my sister is a much better housekeeper than i (she also had half as many kids! in my defense!) my house was always a little sticky and tracked up. she sanitized/degermed everything and her kids were sick alllllll the time. mine were hardly ever sick, which is kind of a miracle being as there were so many of them so twice as much exposure to everything and all kinds of opportunities to bring germs home to the family. she also was a 'run to the doctor' at the drop of a hat while i (had no $$ haha) waited to see if their illness would go away on it's own <80% of the time it did. they are still pretty germ resistant, i guess, they don't catch every little thing that comes around even as adults :) good thing i'm a slob hahahahahahahaaaa ^_^

I kinda grossed out on that part too lol!
I think your on the right track there, when I had my first son I was over board with Lysol and bleach everyday! He would get sick more than when I had my second son and I wasn't so on top of it they rarely get sick.... Plus they play outside more and I'm and organic gardener now too and they help a lot, always getting dirty. I do think we have to allow things into our systems for our bodies to gain a defense to them.
There is so potential in this research, I really enjoyed reading it!

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Brandi, it's a real interesting article for sure.  It reminds me of certain kids wanting to eat dirt.  I wonder if they somehow know it is good for them?  After all, everybody loves a little mud pie right?  :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I remember my cousin would always throw her food in the dirt before she would eat it lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: