12 replies to this topic

#1 alesusy

alesusy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

I have found out most of the food I give to my two cats contains either "wheat flour" or a more generic "cereals" (Royal Canin Ageing and Ultra light, and Hill's k/d in pouches).

I'm going to change their diet. However - did anyone have inklings and/or established that the food they gave their cats was actually a cause of glutening?

thanks

alessandra, 6 months gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

it certainly can be. Cats eat the food, they then lick themselves, then you pet them, and so on.

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have found out most of the food I give to my two cats contains either "wheat flour" or a more generic "cereals" (Royal Canin Ageing and Ultra light, and Hill's k/d in pouches).

I'm going to change their diet. However - did anyone have inklings and/or established that the food they gave their cats was actually a cause of glutening?

thanks

alessandra, 6 months gluten-free

I haven't heard about cats, but a doctor who has celiac disease was being glutened by her adorable, kissable, slobbery (think teething), gluten-eating toddlers.   Her solution was to make her entire house/family  go gluten-free.   My dog is currently on grain free food and so was my cat (RIP, Tux-boy!)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Yup. Gluteny cat food can end up glutening you. Take the pets grain free. BTW, dogs are allergic to wheat, corn & soy. And when was the last time you saw a cat ins. a field of corn eating the corn? Than why is it in their food? Way too many cats getting diabetes these days.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I agree with the above posters.  I have my cats on Costco brand grain free cat food.  It's called Natures Domain.  It has salmon and sweet potato and all kinds of gluten free goodness.  My overweight elderly cat has lost weight and his coat is so thick and shiny now.

#6 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yep many of us have been glutened by pet food. In my case it was rabbit food. The risk does not only come from the food itself, but some traces can be on the pet's fur. Meaning that you have to wash your hands after petting.

I found gluten-free pellets for my bun now, which has worked well for both of us.

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I HAVEN'T taken my cat gluten-free, simply because I can't get gluten-free cat food here. (They have gluten-free DOG food, but nothing for cats!) I just turn my head when I pour the dried food into her dish, and I scrub my hands EVERY time I put anything in my mouth. She never gets into my lap. She just isn't a lap cat, I guess. She would much rather stay on the floor and be petted. The only time she gets near my face is in the morning when she thinks it's time for me to get up. Then she gently pats my cheek. :wub:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Dugudugu

Dugudugu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

My cats get Acana.

#9 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yes.  I feed mine Now!  It's grain free.  There are a lot of grain free ones out there but you're not likely to find them at the grocery store.  You might even have to try a smaller specialty pet store.

Gluten is not an issue for me but I am highly intolerant to eggs.  I once got a free can of cat food with eggs in it.  Fed it to the cats.  One cat licked me and I got a rash.  Never again!

#10 Denine

Denine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

We use Evo.  I switched our cats very soon after my daughter's diagnosis.

#11 HadassahSukkot

HadassahSukkot

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I've been told "no" before, but I break out in dermatitis and I've had horrid reactions after opening package after package to help my inlaws, and also just petting the cats. IF/When we have any pets, they will all be gluten free. :mellow:

#12 Dozey

Dozey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hi, Butchers say their dog and cat food is gluton free, I think you can get it off Amazon. I'm going to have a look for my two.
Jo

#13 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

I was just buying canned cat food today and all but one brand in the supermarket (Friskies) had the actual words "wheat gluten" in the ingredients. Yikes! Get thee away from me, oh evil one!!!! :o

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: