Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tums Suck (But I Can't Stop Eating Them)

9 posts in this topic

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Ads by Google:

Very strong mint tea helps.

I'll give it a whirl. I've just gotta lay off the Tums, they can do some nasty stuff to a person, especially if you eat them like candy like I tend to when glutened.

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route.  I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day.  It really does help.  You can buy plain mint tea at the store.  I drink it hot with sugar.  It's pretty good.

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route. I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day. It really does help. You can buy plain mint tea at the store. I drink it hot with sugar. It's pretty good.

I heart Stash peppermint tea! The Stash website states it's gluten free, but you might double check, never can be too careful! :)

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Yeah, too many tums can send you to the rest room, although it's rich in calcium. Gotta find a balance.

Maybe lay off the foods that "gluten" you?  After 2 years, you shouldn't be getting glutened very often or at all.  Or maybe its something in addition to  gluten you should be avoiding?

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.

This is the protocol that has helped our family -- we also have additional intolerances that were causing gluten like symptoms until we sorted them out.

We also use peppermint or ginger teas.

Some find relief with peppermint or slippery elm supplements.

I haven't used tums in many years, but last time I checked there were only select bottles that were gluten-free and most generics weren't...might want to double check your current tums.

A food/symptom log can be invaluable to track down if something else is causing gluten-like symptoms..

Good Luck :)