Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Tums Suck (But I Can't Stop Eating Them)

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Very strong mint tea helps.

#3 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'll give it a whirl. I've just gotta lay off the Tums, they can do some nasty stuff to a person, especially if you eat them like candy like I tend to when glutened.

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route.  I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day.  It really does help.  You can buy plain mint tea at the store.  I drink it hot with sugar.  It's pretty good.

#5 NotMollyRingwald

NotMollyRingwald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route. I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day. It really does help. You can buy plain mint tea at the store. I drink it hot with sugar. It's pretty good.

I heart Stash peppermint tea! The Stash website states it's gluten free, but you might double check, never can be too careful! :)

Amy 

If you're going through hell, keep going!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." 

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Yeah, too many tums can send you to the rest room, although it's rich in calcium. Gotta find a balance.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Maybe lay off the foods that "gluten" you?  After 2 years, you shouldn't be getting glutened very often or at all.  Or maybe its something in addition to  gluten you should be avoiding?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.

This is the protocol that has helped our family -- we also have additional intolerances that were causing gluten like symptoms until we sorted them out.

We also use peppermint or ginger teas.

Some find relief with peppermint or slippery elm supplements.

I haven't used tums in many years, but last time I checked there were only select bottles that were gluten-free and most generics weren't...might want to double check your current tums.

A food/symptom log can be invaluable to track down if something else is causing gluten-like symptoms..

Good Luck :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: