#1 Justsoconfused

Justsoconfused

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

In the last two years I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos and B12 deficiancy... started b12 shots (every two weeks) and thyroid meds. In the last 6 months or so things for me went back down hill. Wieght gain horrible fatigue horrible peripheral neuropathy If I ate even a small meal it felt like I had swallowed a watermellon for days. Forget a normal bathroom rotuine. Horrible headaches some for a week at a time HUGE hair loss and what I thought was razor rash ALWAYS on my legs from ankle to hip. ETC...

I had blood tests about 6 months ago for crohns and celiac they were negative (although my crohns titer was up in the positive range). I also had a "negative" endo and colonoscopy. I say "negative" because it said I had long term small intestinal swelling....

Because of these results I was diagnosed with IBS and put on dicyclomine.... (it quit working)

The PA I was seeing recently left the office I visit and I had to reestablish myself....

Almost immediatly she asked if I have ever heard of celiac or gluten free....

another blood test for celiac ordered....,

I have been (I am trying really hard crosscontamination is a pain!) gluten free for about 5 days

The new test is back negative

however I feel SO much better after only 5 days can this all be psychosomatic?

I hope I wasnt too confusing I just didnt want to go over the last 5 years of doctors visits.... questions and answers welcome.

Thanks

Justsoconfused

Edited by Justsoconfused, 22 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi Justso,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Not having celiac disease doesn't mean you don't have a problem with gluten.  NCGI can cause similar symptoms, and won't show up on celiac disease tests.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html

Innate immune response in AI diseases
http://www.celiac.co...uals/Page1.html

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Paul is right, Non-celiac gluten intolerance is much more common than celiac disease and it has basically the same symptoms as celiac, just minus the villi destruction. It could be NCGI, i have seen stats that state it is resent in 6-30% of the population (I've seen 6% sited the most). Because you have Hashimoto's and low B12 , I would say there is a chance you have celiac disease that is not serologic ally positive or seen in biopsy, but it is a slim chance.

Either way, treatment is a gluten-free diet. Best wishes. I hope you continue to feel better.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I concur with the above peeps. :)  Good advise.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 SasaMinks

SasaMinks

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I am in exactly the same boat! negative tests but anemic and with all the celiac symptoms - gluten-free for 6 days and I feel like a different person already - I don't know what to think either!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: