Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

The New Celiac Drug Is Out There

114 posts in this topic

Anyone seen this?

http://peabodykansas.com/direct/celiac_patient_gets_reprieve+4435cel+43656c6961632070617469656e742067657473207265707269657665

I can't help but worry that even with the drug, gluten could be causing damage other than gastro-intestinal. But I admit I don't know much about how it works yet. For me, I might consider taking it only to help prevent accidental glutenings, but I don't know what the side effects are yet.

What do y'all think of this? I guess I'm skeptical.

Ads by Google:

Wow. It's definitely something to watch.

I'd like to know more about the drug, how it works....what about other AI diseases? I guess that's for studies - how people with more than one AI disease are affected.

I'll pass. Why should I take a drug that will cost me money, force me to see a doctor, probably give me side effects, and may even cause real harm (anybody remember the hormone replacement therapy all the doctors wanted us on?), when I can stick to a gluten-free diet for free and with no harmful effects?

Certainly interesting...glad to hear these trials are finally progressing...they were on hold for a bit there.  I do know that after the damage that gluten has caused me along with my children I don't think we will ever join "the gluten loving americans" mentioned in the article.

That said.... I would love something that could be taken to avoid cc issues for my kids and grands...someday...once it has been thoroughly tested -- and should that day come I can't see pounding the gluten -- would only use it to safely dine out of our home occasionally without the whole research, question and pray method currently being used by most of us.

I'll pass. Why should I take a drug that will cost me money, force me to see a doctor, probably give me side effects, and may even cause real harm (anybody remember the hormone replacement therapy all the doctors wanted us on?), when I can stick to a gluten-free diet for free and with no harmful effects?

I'm afraid I am with you on this one.  had a life time of drugs and side effects.  For myself, I will stick with the diet.  Not keen on the restrictive diet, but overall it is preferable to a drug.   

I was a bit horrified by this article. The industry has it backwards and it seems it always will. The reality is drugs don't fix anything, they just cause more problems. The only ones who profit are the pharmaceutical industries. The reality is we need to eat healthier and adjust our lifestyles--meaning getting rid of gluten in general for everyone (no one really digests it) and having healthier alternatives. Yes, we need to exercise, yes we need to eat healthier as a nation. I don't think drugs fix anything except in emergency medicine and headaches...

I would submit that drugs can help or harm people.  It depends on the compound and the disease state in question.  If you ask someone who is living because a drug like gleevec keeps their cancer from progressing further, I would venture to say they will tell you they are grateful for the "evil, greedy, big pharma companies".  Its imperfect to be sure, but it's what we have.

With that said, for my celiac disease, I am comfortable sticking with a gluten-free diet.

"Raise the villi, opening the receptors and allowing gluten to once again be

absorbed by the body."

Is it just me or is there SO MUCH wrong with this statement, scientifically?

Ya....that is not my understanding of the items currently in various stages of testing...also find it strange that someone diagnosed nine years ago has yet to find good tasting gluten free food.

I agree, Lisa. I was a bit taken aback when she was describing her life as a "living hell" just because she couldn't eat bread... Huh.

The only drug I would consider would be one where they could "turn off" my immune response to gluten - without any side effects. It would be nice to have something I could take when travelling or staying with people so I wouldn't have to worry about cc so much, but it would have to have zero side effects for me to consider it... It is not that hard to pack myself a cooler when I travel.

I am not sure how raising flattened villi from the dead would work... Zombie villi. LOL ;)

It feels like "if you can't beat them, join them".

I am who I am. I don't eat gluten, and I never want to.. not after it has ruined 20+ years of my life. The world will have to accept that and make space for me, without this drug.

that said.... I would love something that could be taken to avoid cc issues...someday...once it has been thoroughly tested -- and should that day come I can't see pounding the gluten -- would only use it to safely dine out of our home occasionally without the whole research, question and pray method currently being used by most of us.

THIS

also find it strange that someone diagnosed nine years ago has yet to find good tasting gluten free food.

THIS TOO (and she is just being absurd)

I am who I am. I don't eat gluten, and I never want to.. not after it has ruined 20+ years of my life.

And THIS as well. Most definitely THIS!

Thanks,you  guys for saying all this!!  I saved a bunch of typing time! ;)

It's not for me. I am leery of new drugs, you never know what else they might or might not lead to down the pike.

I also tend to get most listed side effects -- just lucky that way.

The "suffering" on a gluten-free diet is overblown in my opinion. I eat very well, and I've yet to have a complaint from dinner guests at my home where I cook strictly gluten-free.

"Raise the villi, opening the receptors and allowing gluten to once again be

absorbed by the body."

Is it just me or is there SO MUCH wrong with this statement, scientifically?

That jumped out at me too.  Apparently they are getting rid of science and medical journalists and having general journalists report on everything.

It would be great if this works, not for people to indulge, but for those who suffer from constant contamination problems.

.  Apparently they are getting rid of science and medical journalists and having general journalists report on everything.

I am afraid that happened a long time ago. sigh. People take the word of various bloggers, charlatans, websites and hack writers ....without doing a single bit of research. I can tell you this: my journalism students wouldn't have gotten away with some of this malarkey.

I mean, where are the citations? the name of the drug and the manufacturer? who's in the trial?

Is a leading celiac researcher behind it? It provoked more questions than anything else.

That jumped out at me too.  Apparently they are getting rid of science and medical journalists and having general journalists report on everything.

It would be great if this works, not for people to indulge, but for those who suffer from constant contamination problems.

That's what I thought, too.  It wasn't really about a drug trial, just a fluff piece of " journalism".

I think it would be nice to have something you could take once a week when you wanted to go out to eat or to a party.  You could try to choose gluten-free items but not have to worry about a little cc.

Remember, this is the newspaper and a "staff writer" for Peabody Kansas paper.  Peabody is in the middle of no where and has a population of about 1200 people.  I wouldn't expect good writing.

I am afraid that happened a long time ago. sigh. People take the word of various bloggers, charlatans, websites and hack writers ....without doing a single bit of research. I can tell you this: my journalism students wouldn't have gotten away with some of this malarkey.

I mean, where are the citations? the name of the drug and the manufacturer? who's in the trial?

Is a leading celiac researcher behind it? It provoked more questions than anything else.

I found this article which is slightly more helpful with regards to company name, etc. http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9159/20130514/celiac-disease-new-treatment-developed-gluten-allergy.htm

However, I'm still skeptical as are the rest of you.

I found this article which is slightly more helpful with regards to company name, etc. http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9159/20130514/celiac-disease-new-treatment-developed-gluten-allergy.htm

However, I'm still skeptical as are the rest of you.

Haven't read it yet but the title isn't very promising that the reporter understands the subject:

"Celiac Disease: New Treatment Developed For Gluten Allergy"

Too bad Celiacs don't have a "gluten allergy".

"Celiac Disease: New Treatment Developed For Gluten Allergy"

argh!!! where's that face-palm emoticon guy. K <_<  "gluten allergy" argh!

Turns out to not be a bad article.  Looks like this drug isn't being trialled on people yet.  Wonder what one the Peabody lady was taking?  I hope it isn't one of those internet "Wonder Drugs".  :angry:

Turns out to not be a bad article.  Looks like this drug isn't being trialled on people yet.  Wonder what one the Peabody lady was taking?  I hope it isn't one of those internet "Wonder Drugs".  :angry:

Exactly!

The 'gluten allergy' part was annoying, but the article itself isn't terrible and explains things better than the Kansas article. There was a similar article in the Chicago Tribune, but it had less info than this one did.

I think I would just be interested in taking something like this if I was going to be somewhere with a major risk of CC. I would not like to take it on a regular basis though. As it is I have the thyroid meds to take daily.

Here is my problem with this drug. It isn't being developed to make our lives better in the way that we all envision a better life in a world filled with gluten. A magical pill that can prevent us from getting horridly ill when we dine out or eat at our well-meaning friend's house, etc. It is being developed by people who for some reason have this skewed sense that our lives are somehow less meaningful because we can't eat bread and bagels and pasta made of wheat. I'm quite sure I can't say exactly what I think of people with this opinion here without getting in a buttload of trouble, but it is quite colorful. I for one will sure as hell not line their pockets with my money. I frankly hope it fails miserably because if pharma gets their hands on a "viable" treatment I fear the worst for funding for an actual cure.

. I'm quite sure I can't say exactly what I think of people with this opinion here without getting in a buttload of trouble, but it is quite colorful.

LOL!

colorful!

rainbow_wall.gif

I'm quite sure I can't say exactly what I think of people with this opinion here without getting in a buttload of trouble, but it is quite colorful. 

Knowing you as I do now, I imagine it is similar to what I am thinking and it sounds like this:

dirty-language-smiley-emoticon.gif

and nice rainbow, there K!  :D love it!

Edited by IrishHeart