Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

New At This.

21 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed a month ago and am still somewhat reeling. I have always been a label reader, now I'm just looking for gluten/wheat/barley/rye/farina/etc in addition to everything I was looking for prior to this.

I purchased this book: http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/gluten-free-guide/ to use as a guide. If something's in this book, then I look to purchase it but still check the label because I know that companies change ingredients and processing equipment/procedures at the drop of a dime.

I have found that Outback Steakhouse and Pizzeria Uno's have good gluten free menus and Outback even has a flourless brownie (and it's yummy.)

Trader Joe's was always someplace I shopped, now I'm there more often.

My symptoms are getting better, but I'm not sure how long it will be before they are gone.

Finding this site and the forums has been a great help. Until now I was just a voyeur, reading posts and getting information, but today I wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and say thank you to all of you because your posts are helping me every day.

Ads by Google:

Welcome, nice to meet you, and congratulations on starting your journey of healing :-)

Welcome to the family! :)

May I direct you to: 

(1) this thread for newbies

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

and  

(2)   I recommend:

"Find Me Gluten Free"  for dining out

and

(3) I also recommend this must-read book:

Real Life with Celiac Disease

by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler

Best wishes to you! we're here for you!

Greetings Glutey,

I hope all continues going well for you!

Diana

Hi guys, my name is Michael I'm 38 years old and i've known for certain I have had celiac disease for about a year. However I do not know how long I've been living with this disease nor do I know the extent of the damage done. I have been avoiding things with gluten for the better part of a year but as of recent i've gotten serious about avoiding all things with wheat. My question is; does early or moderate stages of villious atrophy reverse its self over time if strict adherance to the proper diet is maintained?

Welcome, Michael,

Yes, the vast majority of people do heal after time on a strict gluten-free diet. I had significant damage at the time of my diagnosis. A follow-up examination five years later found no evidence at all of celiac disease in my intestines.

Hello & Welcome....you  have found  a  great  place  ......

Hello Gluten Stinks (great name!) and Michael!  I wish both of you luck on your gluten-free journey.  

Michael, I'm a bit confused about how you've been avoiding gluten, but just now have gotten serious about avoiding wheat... cause gluten is in wheat.  Maybe I'm missing something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time!  :)  But your statement makes me believe you haven't excluded all gluten. Please correct me sternly if need be!  I would encourage being strict about your diet earlier rather than later.  Believe you me, you don't want years and years of damage (and if you're eating gluten in any amount- there will be damage given your diagnosis).  Let us know if we can help.  

Shellie

Welcome, Michael,

Yes, the vast majority of people do heal after time on a strict gluten-free diet. I had significant damage at the time of my diagnosis. A follow-up examination five years later found no evidence at all of celiac disease in my intestines.

Wow!  That's what I want to hear from my doctor in five years!!!!!  I have complete confidence that I will adhere strictly to the gluten-free diet, since I've been taking care of my gluten-free hubby for the past 12 years and I've never glutened him (restaurants have though.....)  I have been worried about healing based on the research I've seen, so it's great to find a someone who is well!  

Thanks!

Hello Gluten Stinks (great name!) and Michael!  I wish both of you luck on your gluten-free journey.  

Michael, I'm a bit confused about how you've been avoiding gluten, but just now have gotten serious about avoiding wheat... cause gluten is in wheat.  Maybe I'm missing something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time!  :)  But your statement makes me believe you haven't excluded all gluten. Please correct me sternly if need be!  I would encourage being strict about your diet earlier rather than later.  Believe you me, you don't want years and years of damage (and if you're eating gluten in any amount- there will be damage given your diagnosis).  Let us know if we can help.  

Shellie

Thank you all for your replies :)

When I first got diagnosed I felt really lost until I found this forum.

Michael, the first thing I did was research, research, research. The more you know about gluten, and especially what ingredients it is hiding in, the better armed you are to keep it out of your stomach! I went to see a nutritionist twice, and am constantly emailing companies for information.

I have been worried about healing based on the research I've seen, so it's great to find a someone who is well!  

There are many of us on here who can tell you they are well and healing. Some of us came back from the "walking dead" even.

Hang in there. Time and patience. These two things are essential. :)  

I love the newbie thread !! I am also new at this!! Cannot w8 to learn more!! And more and more!! 

Welcome, Michael,

Thanks for sharing this.  VERY encouraging!

when i was a newb, this place saved my life.  i would say "sanity" but y'all know me....  ;)

welcome to the best club you never wanted to join lolz 

Agreed. This place really did save me. I was ready for despair, and found you all and my outlook changed almost immediately.

Thank you AGAIN!!!!   :D

I love the newbie thread !! I am also new at this!! Cannot w8 to learn more!! And more and more!! 

Yaay!! Your positive attitude will help your recovery and adaptation to this "new normal" more than anything else!! :)

when i was a newb, this place saved my life.  i would say "sanity" but y'all know me....   ;)

yes, we DO know you  :lol:  and yes, "the best club you never wanted to join" --classic!!!

Agreed. This place really did save me. I was ready for despair, and found you all and my outlook changed almost immediately.

Thank you AGAIN!!!!   :D

Yaay!!  :lol: hang in there, hon--it gets better and better!

HI Gluten Stinks and The Rest,

I too am a recent entrant into the Coeliac mind field. I was diagnosed with no symptoms (during a routine check up) and since then things have taken a turn for the worse! Now that I am trying to keep gluten out of my diet I am finding myself reacting to it if I accidentely eat it. Tonsilitis set in not too long after the diagnosis for two months closely followed by the office cold/flu that is going around.

I am very much looking forward to the day that things start to improve. Heading to the toilet 6-7 times a day and feeling constantly constipated is starting to take its toll. As is no exercise and just being constantly exhausted.

However, this site and these forums give me hope that things will improve and hopefully I can stop being such a wind bag (in more ways then one!).

Thanks for all the info - it's very much appreciated.

Cheers

HC

HI Gluten Stinks and The Rest,

I too am a recent entrant into the Coeliac mind field. I was diagnosed with no symptoms (during a routine check up) and since then things have taken a turn for the worse! Now that I am trying to keep gluten out of my diet I am finding myself reacting to it if I accidentely eat it. Tonsilitis set in not too long after the diagnosis for two months closely followed by the office cold/flu that is going around.

I am very much looking forward to the day that things start to improve. Heading to the toilet 6-7 times a day and feeling constantly constipated is starting to take its toll. As is no exercise and just being constantly exhausted.

However, this site and these forums give me hope that things will improve and hopefully I can stop being such a wind bag (in more ways then one!).

Thanks for all the info - it's very much appreciated.

Cheers

HC

HC,

Things really will improve. In a little over four weeks my symptoms are reduced. It can take many months for them to completely go away (I am told) but you will see and feel the change.

My stomach cramping went away rather quickly, and that was the most painful symptom for me. Sometimes I'd be doubled over...

Hang in there!!

when i was a newb, this place saved my life.  i would say "sanity" but y'all know me....   ;)

Well said.  I'm kinda feeling the same way.  It helps me a lot.

Welcome!!! 

I'm stealing from Notme....

The most awesome club you never wanted to join!!!  or something like that ;)

We've all been thru it...so hang out and keep laughing -- it really does make everything better.