20 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

I was diagnosed a month ago and am still somewhat reeling. I have always been a label reader, now I'm just looking for gluten/wheat/barley/rye/farina/etc in addition to everything I was looking for prior to this.

I purchased this book: http://www.ceceliasm...ten-free-guide/ to use as a guide. If something's in this book, then I look to purchase it but still check the label because I know that companies change ingredients and processing equipment/procedures at the drop of a dime.

I have found that Outback Steakhouse and Pizzeria Uno's have good gluten free menus and Outback even has a flourless brownie (and it's yummy.)

Trader Joe's was always someplace I shopped, now I'm there more often.

My symptoms are getting better, but I'm not sure how long it will be before they are gone.

Finding this site and the forums has been a great help. Until now I was just a voyeur, reading posts and getting information, but today I wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and say thank you to all of you because your posts are helping me every day.

Celiac disease April 2013 -- so glad I got answers and can heal now.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Welcome, nice to meet you, and congratulations on starting your journey of healing :-)

Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to the family! :)

May I direct you to: 

(1) this thread for newbies

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

and  

(2)   I recommend:

"Find Me Gluten Free"  for dining out

and

(3) I also recommend this must-read book:

Real Life with Celiac Disease

by Melinda Dennis and Daniel Leffler

Best wishes to you! we're here for you!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Greetings Glutey,

I hope all continues going well for you!

Diana

#5 mickey1975

mickey1975

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hi guys, my name is Michael I'm 38 years old and i've known for certain I have had celiac disease for about a year. However I do not know how long I've been living with this disease nor do I know the extent of the damage done. I have been avoiding things with gluten for the better part of a year but as of recent i've gotten serious about avoiding all things with wheat. My question is; does early or moderate stages of villious atrophy reverse its self over time if strict adherance to the proper diet is maintained?

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Welcome, Michael,

Yes, the vast majority of people do heal after time on a strict gluten-free diet. I had significant damage at the time of my diagnosis. A follow-up examination five years later found no evidence at all of celiac disease in my intestines.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hello & Welcome....you  have found  a  great  place  ......

#8 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hello Gluten Stinks (great name!) and Michael!  I wish both of you luck on your gluten-free journey.  

Michael, I'm a bit confused about how you've been avoiding gluten, but just now have gotten serious about avoiding wheat... cause gluten is in wheat.  Maybe I'm missing something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time!  :)  But your statement makes me believe you haven't excluded all gluten. Please correct me sternly if need be!  I would encourage being strict about your diet earlier rather than later.  Believe you me, you don't want years and years of damage (and if you're eating gluten in any amount- there will be damage given your diagnosis).  Let us know if we can help.  

Shellie

#9 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Welcome, Michael,

Yes, the vast majority of people do heal after time on a strict gluten-free diet. I had significant damage at the time of my diagnosis. A follow-up examination five years later found no evidence at all of celiac disease in my intestines.

Wow!  That's what I want to hear from my doctor in five years!!!!!  I have complete confidence that I will adhere strictly to the gluten-free diet, since I've been taking care of my gluten-free hubby for the past 12 years and I've never glutened him (restaurants have though.....)  I have been worried about healing based on the research I've seen, so it's great to find a someone who is well!  

Thanks!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#10 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hello Gluten Stinks (great name!) and Michael!  I wish both of you luck on your gluten-free journey.  

Michael, I'm a bit confused about how you've been avoiding gluten, but just now have gotten serious about avoiding wheat... cause gluten is in wheat.  Maybe I'm missing something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time!  :)  But your statement makes me believe you haven't excluded all gluten. Please correct me sternly if need be!  I would encourage being strict about your diet earlier rather than later.  Believe you me, you don't want years and years of damage (and if you're eating gluten in any amount- there will be damage given your diagnosis).  Let us know if we can help.  

Shellie

Thank you all for your replies :)

When I first got diagnosed I felt really lost until I found this forum.

Michael, the first thing I did was research, research, research. The more you know about gluten, and especially what ingredients it is hiding in, the better armed you are to keep it out of your stomach! I went to see a nutritionist twice, and am constantly emailing companies for information.

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

I have been worried about healing based on the research I've seen, so it's great to find a someone who is well!  

There are many of us on here who can tell you they are well and healing. Some of us came back from the "walking dead" even.

Hang in there. Time and patience. These two things are essential. :)  

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I love the newbie thread !! I am also new at this!! Cannot w8 to learn more!! And more and more!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#13 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Welcome, Michael,

Thanks for sharing this.  VERY encouraging!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#14 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

when i was a newb, this place saved my life.  i would say "sanity" but y'all know me....  ;)

welcome to the best club you never wanted to join lolz 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#15 GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Agreed. This place really did save me. I was ready for despair, and found you all and my outlook changed almost immediately.

Thank you AGAIN!!!!   :D

Love Red Apple Lipstick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: