Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Other Sensitivities/allergies And My Villi?

allergies pistachios

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ok, so after trying some certified gluten-free pistachios, at the suggestion of some posters here, I can reliably say I have some sort of sensitivity to pistachios - they upset my stomach and give me some mild D the next day.

What I'm not sure I understand is does this reaction, which is so similar to the reaction I have from gluten, mean that my villi are getting re-damaged when I eat pistachios?  If I'm willing to live with the reaction, can I continue to eat them (something I would never do with gluten)?

Thanks so much,

Nikki

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Caroline5757

Caroline5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

No, it shouldn't. Unless the reason your getting sick is because the nuts have gluten. I have milk, and egg allergies and a soy intolerance. Often those foods cause similar reactions to gluten ehen i eat them. It doesn't mean it's damaging your small intestine because it doesn't mean it's a trigger for your autoimmune disorder. It just means your body doesn't quite agree with it. If you have an allergy it means your body is attacking the food, celiac means your body is in a way attacking itself. Both of these can cause stomach distress.

#3 Caroline5757

Caroline5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

And yes you can eat them, it's not recomended because allergic reactions can become worse over time. But I eat some dairy now and then and it's not a big deal, just some bloating and cramps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: