Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Article Shared By Dietitian Who Doesn't Believe Celiac Exists....

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

HI everybody,

I haven't posted in AGES here!  [not sure I'm posting this in the right spot?] But this article  - rather, the dietitian who posted it, got me rather agitated. 

Long long story (which I have just deleted) - but there is a dietitian with whom I am somewhat acquainted (who riles me up! she doesn't believe Celiac exists) who posted this writing (she did not write it) on her FB page last night.  This article makes me quite sad.....the dietitian's intent was to convey to her mainly eating-disorder clients that it is okay to not diet, accept your weight, etc.....but I was smacked in the head with this poor man's untreated (I presume) celiac and slow, horrible death.  HIs daughter wrote the article and i have left a comment today (SusieQ) which may or may not show up yet.

Take a look -

xo.

http://morecabaret.c...-7/#comment-953

Edited by DingoGirl, 23 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Didn't see your comment. Maybe its not approved yet? Or I missed it?

I'm a little confused. This dietician who doesn't " believe" in Celiac posted this on her website? But the dietitician isn't the author, right? She just re- posted it?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yes.....dietitian shared this on Facebook for her patients, but she didn't write it. 

My comment not there? hmmm.....maybe takes a while.  Or maybe it was too stupid?  ;)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes.....dietitian shared this on Facebook for her patients, but she didn't write it. 

My comment not there? hmmm.....maybe takes a while.  Or maybe it was too stupid?  ;)

Did you share this on FB? I thought I saw it earlier.

On the site you link to, there don't appear to be any comments in the last few days.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

I ranted about it on a FB page.....probably showed up in the feed. 

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#6 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Karen, I see you found me on there....my rants  ;)  did you see the article that was posted today, on that same site?  OH MY LORD......my ranting goes on there as well.....   :ph34r:

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#7 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Now I feel bad.....I am wondering if I should have this post removed?  Didn't know my rants could be traced on FB....and the dietitian's identity known !  What do you think, Kareighnne?

Could simply post the article the girl wrote.....

I dunno.  Where is Poeter?  Let him decide :)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Now I feel bad.....I am wondering if I should have this post removed?  Didn't know my rants could be traced on FB....and the dietitian's identity known !  What do you think, Kareighnne?

Could simply post the article the girl wrote.....

I dunno.  Where is Poeter?  Let him decide :)

I can find them because we are FB friends. Edit/ Change the dietitians name to Beelezbub and it will be harder for people who don't know you to find.

santa-dance.gif

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Well, I didn't see anything on FB and I am also a friend. The item linked to is harmless, but does not tie in with this supposed dietitian.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

HI Poeter ! I just re-wrote my whole introductory post. ;) 

And, my comment is awaiting moderation.....sadly, I don't think she'll allow it.  was hoping more Celiacs would join in and also comment.  I don't know why but this article,  in connection with the dietitian who posted it (this is most likely the reason - my intense concern about her methods/beliefs as a dietitian) has got me rather riled !   Must head out now.....gorgeous day here.

my comment:

I am sorry for the loss of your father, and his struggles, this is so terribly sad and this is how Celiacs often die. What SCREAMS OUT at me in your beautifully-written article is his untreated Celiac Disease (“scarred intestines” CAN improve!)….gluten kills Celiacs. Period. Had he followed a strict, gluten-free diet from the time of diagnosis (did he? I am presuming he did not – forgive me if I am in error), his life would have changed dramatically and he would have dropped weight very easily (assuming he didn’t load up on gluten-free snacks). You are Vikings….Celiac is hugely common in Scandinavia (you can get gluten-free Big Macs there!), and it is a *genetic* auto-immune disorder which kills slowly and is truly miserable. One may have it without displaying symptoms for a long, long while….but I would bet every possession and penny I own that you have it too, beautiful one. Please don’t suffer as your father did…it is entirely avoidable. If you are interested in learning more, go to a website such as Celiac.com (check out the topics in the forum) and read up because in this country, where medicine and doctors are controlled by Big Pharma and very income-driven, Celiac is grossly and sadly misdiagnosed…my own diagnosis took decades and I verged on the brink of malnourished death. God bless! x.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Wonderful response Soozle.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Way to go, Soooozle....  :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

YES!  Good Job Susan, or Suzzells.  You can put it out there and hope that it's accepeted. That's all you can do.  You did good. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

HI Poeter ! I just re-wrote my whole introductory post. ;)

And, my comment is awaiting moderation.....sadly, I don't think she'll allow it.  was hoping more Celiacs would join in and also comment.  I don't know why but this article,  in connection with the dietitian who posted it (this is most likely the reason - my intense concern about her methods/beliefs as a dietitian) has got me rather riled !   Must head out now.....gorgeous day here.

my comment:

I am sorry for the loss of your father, and his struggles, this is so terribly sad and this is how Celiacs often die. What SCREAMS OUT at me in your beautifully-written article is his untreated Celiac Disease (“scarred intestines” CAN improve!)….gluten kills Celiacs. Period. Had he followed a strict, gluten-free diet from the time of diagnosis (did he? I am presuming he did not – forgive me if I am in error), his life would have changed dramatically and he would have dropped weight very easily (assuming he didn’t load up on gluten-free snacks). You are Vikings….Celiac is hugely common in Scandinavia (you can get gluten-free Big Macs there!), and it is a *genetic* auto-immune disorder which kills slowly and is truly miserable. One may have it without displaying symptoms for a long, long while….but I would bet every possession and penny I own that you have it too, beautiful one. Please don’t suffer as your father did…it is entirely avoidable. If you are interested in learning more, go to a website such as Celiac.com (check out the topics in the forum) and read up because in this country, where medicine and doctors are controlled by Big Pharma and very income-driven, Celiac is grossly and sadly misdiagnosed…my own diagnosis took decades and I verged on the brink of malnourished death. God bless! x.

What an eloquent post. I'm very proud of you! If the moderator doesn't post your reply then it's a very sad commentary. There was not anything you wrote that was questionable. I agree that you should change the doc's name to Beelzebub - (quite fitting under the circumstances). You go girlfriend!!!

I was very close with my cousin who was "morbidly obese." She got lap band surgery and it turned out her stomach was riddled with cancer and due to the surgery it wasn't found in time. She passed on within 3 months. I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac at that time but I wonder if she suffered from it.

Love,

Loey

#15 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

I read that story, and I couldn't see where he had celiac disease.  Anyone want to help me with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: