1 reply to this topic

#1 Elfunk11

Elfunk11

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

I was tested for lactose intolerance when I was about 12 and it came back overwhelmingly positive. Since then my gastric symptoms have continued but I had just decided that was how I was and to deal with it. I suffer from constant diarrhea and constipation as well as severe bloating. I experienced highly irregular periods so I went on birth control to help regulate them. It wasn't until I suffered from post-reactive arthritis from a strep infection that I went to a rheumatologist who suggested I might have Celiacs. I have experienced nearly all the symptoms of celiac except I do not have the DH rash. However when I got the blood tests these were my results:

Total iga: 134 (within range)
Endomysial ab IgA: <1:10
Ttg IgA: 6 with <20 being negative
Gliadin IgA: 5 with <20 being negative

According to this, all of my tests are negative for celiac but I am convinced I have the disease. Though I have not been on a gluten free diet, I have pretty much stopped eating all bread products since October (7 months ago) could this have effected my test results? Or do I likely not have celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yes being off most wheat could affect your results. it's also possible that you are 1) one of the rare celiacs who test negative or 2) you're non-celiac gluten intolerant, or 3) you have something else going on.

I'd suggest either upping your gluten intake and push for more tests, or if an official diagnosis doesn't matter to you, try going gluten-free for six months or so and see how you feel.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: