21 replies to this topic

#16 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

I want to thank everyone for your advice. I've taken extra steps to avoid as much gluten as possible, cut down on caffeine, and upped my water intake, which has helped. 

Unfortunately, this is my only job at the moment, after 6 months of unemployment. I'm going to have to stick to it for a while, as I look for a second/new job. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Ciel121

Ciel121

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I'm impressed by Celiacs who try to eat at restaurants or Starbucks. I won't go to any restaurants...perhaps there are 2-3 exceptions, but I go very rarely. They are always restaurants that are off the beaten path. I'm horribly suspicious of chains catering to Celiacs.  I'm betting on the coffee itself. I know when I'm around gluten I never feel it. I can touch it and it has no effect on me. Of course I don't try to. I avoid it.

I know what we put into our bodies is much more potent than even what is outside. I always bet on something I ingested. And it's just not that easy is it? It seems there is hidden gluten in everything--everything. It's enough to drive you mad.

But I still bet it's the coffee! Here's another article:

http://www.thehealth...t-drink-coffee/

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm impressed by Celiacs who try to eat at restaurants or Starbucks. I won't go to any restaurants...perhaps there are 2-3 exceptions, but I go very rarely. I'm betting on the coffee itself. I know when I'm around gluten I never feel it. I can touch it and it has no effect on me. Of course I don't try to. I avoid it.
I know what we put into our bodies is much more potent than even what is outside. I always bet on something I ingested. And it's just not that easy is it? It seems there is hidden gluten in everything--everything. It's enough to dive you mad.

Once again....this is not a medical or scientific article. This is an Internet rumor. A " home economist" is not an expert in any medical science. There is no credible scientific evident for this " coffee cross- reacts" nonsense. If you have actual scientific or medical evidence from reliable medical sources, please provide it.

Please read the forum rule #5

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'm impressed by Celiacs who try to eat at restaurants or Starbucks. I won't go to any restaurants...perhaps there are 2-3 exceptions, but I go very rarely. They are always restaurants that are off the beaten path. I'm horribly suspicious of chains catering to Celiacs.  I'm betting on the coffee itself. I know when I'm around gluten I never feel it. I can touch it and it has no effect on me. Of course I don't try to. I avoid it.

I know what we put into our bodies is much more potent than even what is outside. I always bet on something I ingested. And it's just not that easy is it? It seems there is hidden gluten in everything--everything. It's enough to drive you mad.

I am so happy I impress someone!   ;)

It is not hard to go out to eat, once you learn the diet.  I do have to admit I live in a great part of the country where Celiac awareness is very high.  I have a number of places that do an outstanding job with serving a truly gluten-free meal, free of cc.  How do I know?  Because I become deathly ill for about 48 hours after ingesting crumbs so my gluten meter is very sensitive.  But it can be done, depending on where you live and how high awareness is.  The only thing that I can't do is take the risk all the time.  I eat out infrequently so it is a real treat when I do.

As far as touching gluten, that isn't a problem unless it finds it's way into your GI tract, so no surprise that you don't "feel" it when you just touch it. There is also very little "hidden" gluten in food....you just need to learn to interpret the label and the ingredients. Gluten is definitely not in everything.  These are all misconceptions about the disease and just serves to make things harder for some.

Lastly....it's NOT the coffee, Ciel.  

#20 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Unless the coffee itself is no good for the original poster. Coffee is certainly acidic and is also a diuretic, the fact 

that cutting back on the coffee and drinking more water made you feel better argues that you may have been 

creating some chronic dehydration issues for yourself, Jyot. That does not mean coffee equals gluten.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#21 Bear with me!

Bear with me!

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Coffee is good. Like it black. No Starbucks here. :(

#22 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Unless the coffee itself is no good for the original poster. Coffee is certainly acidic and is also a diuretic, the fact 

that cutting back on the coffee and drinking more water made you feel better argues that you may have been 

creating some chronic dehydration issues for yourself, Jyot. That does not mean coffee equals gluten.

Oh it was definitely chronic dehydration. I've never had a problem with ingesting coffee in reasonable doses.

I still have reaction symptoms (just not as intense as before), so, I'm just having straight coffee or home-made coffee for now while I get back to 100%. It certainly helped the 3 day migraine I got after thinking I was "safe" and tried a vanilla frapp. Oops. 

I tried to contact the Starbucks company and, surprise surprise, they said "Sorry, we can't guarantee the safety of anything." They wouldn't/couldn't give me specifics. So, despite multiple online debates on multiple websites around the safety of the Starbucks syrups, mixed beverages, soy milk, and teas, I'm just going to assume everything is bad MINUS the drip coffee and the Americanos. Unfortunately, even with separate steamer pitchers and blenders, cross contamination is ever present. 

I've already purchased my own dairy alternative creamer to keep in the break room fridge. I've also decided to be overly cautious and get designated gloves specifically for my use when washing dishes to avoid personal cross contamination (if I forget to wash my hands after work and then eat). 

If nothing works, well, time to go to the doctor again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: