20 replies to this topic

#1 GC1

GC1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:23 PM

My better-half and I were talking yesterday, and she asked; what do I crave right now, if it didn't matter about ingredients. I said; a chili-cheeseburger and fries. So today, when she came in from being out, she had HQ ground beef, Borden cheddar cheese, and a nice store brand chili we found. So, we had one of our favorite "junk food treats" without the "junk"; the bread that is.
:-)
This was the first time I'd had something like this without the bread... which made me start thinking 'n' wondering about what other people have done to change/improve some of their favorite non-essential food treats.
Come-on everyone, let's share some ideas..... thanks, GC

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:34 PM

When I REALLY want a Wendy's cheeseburger, I will go to Wendy's and buy the burger patties without anything on them (of course I get really strange looks when I tell them to just put the patties into a "boat") then I bring them home,put my own lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo and mustard and cheese on the patties and either put it on some gluten-free sandwich bread or eat it without the bread! Sure satisfies a craving!

#3 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

We made ice cream sandwiches with pamela's gluten free cookies. Lots of them. With different flavors of ice cream. :P We've been dairy free ish for some time now. I may just have to go get some breyers this weekend...
I believe in God.

#4 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

Great idea for a post!

I found a recipe for a chocolate polenta cake and made it friendly to celiac AND my allergies and it tasted just like chocolate cake! I topped it with fresh berries and it was so yummy!

Another thing I do is make cheese sauce out of nutritional yeast and put it on EVERYTHING>...............!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:34 AM

When I'm craving something really good, I make brownies, put vanilla ice dream on them, and some Hershey's syrup heated up poured over it all. It's really good and reminds me of Chocolate Thunder from Down Under at Outback, which is a good gluten free but not dairy free dessert.
Every day is a blessing.

#6 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:38 AM

My better-half and I were talking yesterday, and she asked; what do I crave right now, if it didn't matter about ingredients. I said; a chili-cheeseburger and fries. So today, when she came in from being out, she had HQ ground beef, Borden cheddar cheese, and a nice store brand chili we found. So, we had one of our favorite "junk food treats" without the "junk"; the bread that is.
:-)
This was the first time I'd had something like this without the bread... which made me start thinking 'n' wondering about what other people have done to change/improve some of their favorite non-essential food treats.
Come-on everyone, let's share some ideas..... thanks, GC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry,What my better half means?

#7 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:43 AM

Great idea for a post!

I found a recipe for a chocolate polenta cake and made it friendly to celiac AND my allergies and it tasted just like chocolate cake! I topped it with fresh berries and it was so yummy!

Another thing I do is make cheese sauce out of nutritional yeast and put it on EVERYTHING>...............!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

such a wonderful idea,can you please write both of them.
thanks

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:58 AM

we'll do like nogluten and make a brownie sundae with a namaste brownie and edy's icecream and hershey's.

we'll take kinnikinnick english muffins and either toast or grill them and add scrambled eggs, cheese, for a breakfast sandwich. you could add bacon too or ham.

i made my dh and i our own gluten-free blizzards over weekend. edy's vanilla with crushed up wild oats gluten-free chocoate chip cookies and some hershey's chocolate. they tasted great :) and risk-free !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:00 AM

sorry,What my better half means?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My "better half" refers to a husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend. My husband will introduce me to someone new by saying, "I don't think you have met my better half Kimberly..." ;)

#10 elisabet

elisabet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:10 AM

My "better half" refers to a husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend.  My husband will introduce me to someone new by saying, "I don't think you have met my better half Kimberly..."  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you.Is it an american-english expresion?
excuse my english,I am in norway.

#11 LRgirl

LRgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi lorka150,

The chocolate polenta cake sounds great. I have alot of other allergies as well: egg whites,peanut, rice, and pinnapple. I have been looking for a cake for a while. Would this recipe be ok with my allergies?

Thanks,
Traci

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

nini, That is a great idea regarding the Wendy's burger! I'm going to do that this weekend--I've had such a craving for Wendy's. Maybe I'll bring my bread, order a baked potato and a drink and eat there like a normal person--I'm really excited now :D Thanks SO much!!!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

nini, That is a great idea regarding the Wendy's burger!  I'm going to do that this weekend--I've had such a craving for Wendy's.  Maybe I'll bring my bread, order a baked potato and a drink and eat there like a normal person--I'm really excited now :D  Thanks SO much!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! You are welcome! I hope you enjoy yourself! I know I do!

#14 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thank you.Is it an american-english expresion?
excuse my english,I am in norway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is an American English expression. Each person in the couple is considered "half' of the whole, so it is a joke in our country to call the other person the "better" half.
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

#15 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

I was craving a Dairy Queen blizzard so I made one myself! I used my gluten-free ice cream and chopped up reses peanut butter cups. It was so good!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: