#16 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

Use Caution at Wendys.

You will need to watch them make the food (just peer around - the kitchen is behind the cash register normally).

I went to a Wendy's last week and ordered my usual "Double With Cheese, No Bun, Lettuce Tomato Onion Only, Extra Cheese. Anyway, I always watched them make it. This time, the cook made my burger and put it on a bun!!!!

I quickly grabbed a manager, told him about my "allergy" and you know what his response was?? he said, "Hey guys, that burger is no bun, take the bottomburger off with the bun and give this guy a new bottom burger and out it in a new wrapper.....

I looked at him and said, "Hey man, one crumb and I get sick, can you get me a new burger please?"

He paused and then looked back to see what they were doing......at that same time, the cook took a new patty and put the whole thing down........ON ANOTHER BUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable!!!!!!

The manager then stepped in and made a new burger according to my instructions.

I normally do not have a bad time at Wendys, but this just shows you that we, as Celiacs, have to be there watching (no drive through -- sorry -- its unsafe to take that chance) ---

You can eat there, but make sure you either watch what they are doing or GRAB A MANAGER and have them make it....

Also, watch if they use the same "shovel" for the fries and the chicken nuggets -- cross-contamination galore!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

Hi lorka150,

The chocolate polenta cake sounds great. I have alot of other allergies as well: egg whites,peanut, rice, and pinnapple. I have been looking for  a cake for a while. Would this recipe be ok with my allergies?

Thanks,
Traci

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am allergic to rice - it's such a bummer, eh?
For the cake (which I made with carob), there are two eggs and four egg whites. I can still post the recipe, but can you work around that?
Gluten-free, Vegan

#18 GC1

GC1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

Just remembered today; we normally make for eiter Thanksgiving or Christmas, what's called a "Mystery Pie"... similar to a Pecan Pie, but with roughly half the corn syrup replaced with cream cheese... after it bakes, it has formed two unigue [and tastey] layers! This year it's got to be gluten-free, so we talked about making the pie shell from ground pecans and butter/margarine.

If anyone is interested, I'll get the 'better-half' to relay through me the fixings...

GC

#19 LRgirl

LRgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:04 AM

I am allergic to rice - it's such a bummer, eh?
For the cake (which I made with carob), there are two eggs and four egg whites. I can still post the recipe, but can you work around that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think I can use egg substitute. The one I have works great with a variety of recipes.

Thanks so much,

Traci

#20 quantumsugar

quantumsugar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Just remembered today; we normally make for eiter Thanksgiving or Christmas, what's called a "Mystery Pie"

If anyone is interested, I'll get the 'better-half' to relay through me the fixings...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love that recipie (for when my body likes dairy again). Thanks!

I'm thinking about going to the store later to grab the ingredients for some gluten-free "Rice Krispie" Treats. I've decided to make what I'm calling "Sugar-Death Bombs" and substitute Cocoa Pebbles for the [unsafe] Rice Krispies.
Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)
(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005
Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"
--Psalm 4:7

#21 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

Am licking my fingers this minute - used some meringues out of a box (the hard long life ones - but they are meringues) - dollopped soured cream in the middle - put a couple of strawberries from tin on top - :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: