This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Super Sensitive Infant

MommaBecker

MommaBecker Newbie

My son is 11 months old and is super sensitive  His celiac was noticed before he even tried gluten in person. He can detect miniscule amounts in my breast milk which has been a struggle. He also has DH which is a great indicator when he has had a bad food reaction. My question to the super sensitive people is do you have any problems with other grains? My son can't do any corn or soy derivatives without having DH flare ups. He also can't have millet, sorghum, rice, amaranth, coffee or legumes.

Any suggestions? Is this something he will get better about? I know that we can clear his skin totally when he is gluten, corn, soy, and grain free completely. He has no allergies and has been tested for every kind.    

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

As a super sensitive, I am sure to buy grains in the whole form so that I can sort through them and remove gluten grains.  After sorting, I wash with soap.  I am sure to rinse very well.  Even at that I tend to react, so right now I am eating rice from Thailand where they don't have much in the way of gluten grains.  I still react to that unwashed, but washed I can handle it.  

Gluten free grains can be contaminated.   Open Original Shared Link

I do the same thing with coffee.  Coffee can be adulterated with barley. Open Original Shared Link

Do you have a gluten free household?  Have you checked toiletries for gluten?

Gemini Experienced

My son is 11 months old and is super sensitive  His celiac was noticed before he even tried gluten in person. He can detect miniscule amounts in my breast milk which has been a struggle. He also has DH which is a great indicator when he has had a bad food reaction. My question to the super sensitive people is do you have any problems with other grains? My son can't do any corn or soy derivatives without having DH flare ups. He also can't have millet, sorghum, rice, amaranth, coffee or legumes.

Any suggestions? Is this something he will get better about? I know that we can clear his skin totally when he is gluten, corn, soy, and grain free completely. He has no allergies and has been tested for every kind.    

From what I have extensively read about Celiac Disease, you cannot trigger for it unless gluten has been introduced into your diet and you are eating it. Has your son been tested for Celiac?  11 months old is young to render a positive diagnosis.  Most doctors won't even test for it at that age.  How do you know he can't have all the other grains mentioned?  

Allergy testing is notoriously unreliable in a child so young.  He may be allergic and not Celiac yet still test negative on allergy testing.  Was he officially diagnosed with DH?

kareng Grand Master

I'm just re- reading this and this struck me - corn and soy do not cause DH. DH is a manifestation of Celiac Disease. I'm guessing you haven't had this " DH" biopsied to see if it is DH?

Archived