arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Else Have A Really Random Allergy?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Among many other foods, I am allergic to oysters, white mushrooms, and straw mushrooms. What makes it seem even more strange is that I tolerate other shellfish just fine. And I can eat some varieties of mushrooms like cremini. Not to mention Oysters and mushrooms are both really healthy for you. Has anybody else discovered they have an allergic reaction to an obscure food like that?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Do tomatoes count? Never knew i would become allergic to them. :(

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I recently decided to become allergic to the sun. Or rather, my body decided this for me. Not on the top of my list of things I'd opt to be allergic to. <_<

I also believe that the reaction I had to an avocado was an oas allergic reaction. The more I delve into that the more it makes sense, as I've been trying to discover if I have a chamomile problem as well and it also fits into a common oas category. How stupid is it to be allergic to chamomile tea?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

I tested high for mushrooms 15 years ago.  So, I avoid all of them (would rather cheat with ice cream!)  The weird thing is that I'm allergic to almonds (tree nut), but not to walnuts.  Recently, cashews and pistachios have bothered me but I'm still okay with walnuts.  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

Not allergies but intolerances.  Chammomile, thyme, tarragon, lovage, cloves, and mint.  All things that I used all the time and all things I was clueless about.  Turns out that the mint was causing me to need toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  And of course that had mint in it, but whatever else they put was calming that down.  Now I know why when I had an upset stomach and ate or drank mint, it only got worse.

I also can not have chicken, lamb, dairy, eggs, oysters, fish and shellfish, some kind of ground peanuts that I've never heard of because they don't grow here.  Almonds, macadamias, pecans and pistachios.  Also oats and rye.  I stupidly ate cereal with oats in it the other day.  I didn't read the ingredients and thought that it was only corn.  And I itched and broke out in hives all day after.  Only realized my mistake after daughter was reading the ingredients and saw the oats on there.

Daughter can not have basil or rosehips among other things.

And wouldn't you know...  My husband is Italian!  Daughter and I can no longer go out for Italian food or purchase most red sauces or products containing them because there is almost always herbs in there that we can't have.  Luckily the red sauce that I've made since I was a kid is easy and quick to make and only has oregano in it.  But I mostly have to cook from scratch now and avoid many HBA items.  So many things just say "flavorings" or "spices" and since I don't know what those are, I either have to write to the company or ust avoid them.

#6 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Since being gluten-free, I have become allergic (wheezing, severe coughing) to citrus, tomatoes, seeds give me swollen eyes, ezcema! Amongst many other intolerances! Woo! Awesome.. Er, not! ;)

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

I know...I'm a broken record....but mushrooms, oysters, avocado and sunshine all contain high levels of HISTAMINE or induce histamine production in the body -- Those of us with damaged small intestines can't properly regulate excess histamine because the enzymes that take care of this for us are produced in the mucosal lining of the small intestine.

"HIT" or "Histamine Intolerance" -- check it out.

Edited -- had to run to other computer to add the following link:

http://www.allergyuk...Intolerance.pdf

Edited by GottaSki, 03 June 2013 - 07:11 AM.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Well, I'm another on the HIT parade.!

If I take those high histamine foods out for a few weeks and add just one or two back in, the inflammation goes down.

My GI doc says this is a real food intolerance based on low levels of two enzymes produced in the gut  that break down and regulate histamine in the body.

How can this happen? celiac is one way. 

Lisa has provided one link and here is another.

It's a long article, but worth reading.

http://thatpaleoguy....ne-intolerance/

Unless you are having an IgE-mediated reaction, it may not be a true allergy.

In time, you can get those foods back, but you need to figure out your tolerance level.

I had bacon, tomatoes and hard cheese last weekend (plus BOOZE LOL) and I am fine today.

Before this, I would have been swollen, sore in my joints and muscles, my skin burning and I would be  red faced, red splotches on my face and scalp and unable to sleep from insomnia and erratic heartbeat.

Heal the gut, maybe resolve the problem. 

Just some thoughts!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

I had a full blown allergic reaction to oysters and my doctor told me that if a person is going to react to any shellfish, oysters are the most likely one. He also told me that often, if a person reacts badly to oysters they will then react to other shellfish. Thank GOD that didn't happen to me!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I had a full blown allergic reaction to oysters and my doctor told me that if a person is going to react to any shellfish, oysters are the most likely one. He also told me that often, if a person reacts badly to oysters they will then react to other shellfish. Thank GOD that didn't happen to me!

And I am fine with oysters, clams and shrimp (in moderation) -- but severe allergic type reaction to lobster and crab :P

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#11 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Wow, Lisa! That must be awful! LOBSTER??!!! CRAB???!!! I love oysters too, but they are a lot easier to give up than lobster and crab. My favorite seafood of all is shrimp, followed by crab, followed by lobster.

Of course I can't get those here. :angry: All the seafood for sale in this little town comes from China, and I won't eat that. But if I drive 120 miles round trip, I can get wild caught USA seafood. Last time I went, they had lobster tails on sale for six dollars a piece. I bought three and cooked them all and ate them in one sitting! I can get Pacific cod too (not as good as atlantic cod, but it'll do). I don't do that too often though because it is $18 for one little six ounce filet.

I swear, if I ever go back east it won't be because I want to see my old friends, it'll be because I want to eat as much seafood as I can stand! :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#12 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Wow, Lisa! That must be awful! LOBSTER??!!! CRAB???!!! I love oysters too, but they are a lot easier to give up than lobster and crab. My favorite seafood of all is shrimp, followed by crab, followed by lobster.

I'm with you...if I get it back....oh boy...I've got plans!!!!

along the lines of our funky little quirks....my entire life pre-dx I could eat lobster and crab...but my skin had severe itchy reaction -- as in I could not deal with getting lobster from the shell or crack crabs -- thankfully my fisherman took pity on me since I was 18 and was willing to do the work so I could eat these treats....me thinks he is not sad that I can no longer eat these two wonderful crustaceans  :P

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Junior Mints.

I think it's the processed mint flavoring (they say peppermint oil but I've looked up commercial peppermint oil and its a hodgepodge). Also get sick on Andes Mints.

I can eat fresh mint just fine. Tried a bit of organic mint extract in ice cream and that was ok....

Yeah, weirdest intolerance, ever. Junior Mints.

I LOVED Junior Mints, and all things mint. Now I am very leery (because uncontrollable D scares me), and I run from it like its a snake.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Junior Mints.

I think it's the processed mint flavoring (they say peppermint oil but I've looked up commercial peppermint oil and its a hodgepodge). Also get sick on Andes Mints.

I can eat fresh mint just fine. Tried a bit of organic mint extract in ice cream and that was ok....

Yeah, weirdest intolerance, ever. Junior Mints.

I LOVED Junior Mints, and all things mint. Now I am very leery (because uncontrollable D scares me), and I run from it like its a snake.

Hey....this happened to me too!  I use fresh mint herbs, mint extract, etc. just fine...but oh my goodness....will be a long time before I have processed mint candy.

Guess I should add...this reaction was quite a while ago -- not sure what the current formulation is.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hey....this happened to me too!  I use fresh mint herbs, mint extract, etc. just fine...but oh my goodness....will be a long time before I have processed mint candy.

Guess I should add...this reaction was quite a while ago -- not sure what the current formulation is.

I ate a bite of commercial mint ice cream a few months ago, almost threw up. To be fair, it was the same day I ate a cc'd pizza...

Yeah, junior mints and Andes are made in gluten-free factories... I know it's not gluten.

The Junior Mint/Andes thing hit over a year ago. I ate junior mints like a crazy woman after going gluten-free - then one day they made me sick. The end.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: