This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Have A Really Random Allergy?

pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo Apprentice

Among many other foods, I am allergic to oysters, white mushrooms, and straw mushrooms. What makes it seem even more strange is that I tolerate other shellfish just fine. And I can eat some varieties of mushrooms like cremini. Not to mention Oysters and mushrooms are both really healthy for you. Has anybody else discovered they have an allergic reaction to an obscure food like that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Do tomatoes count? Never knew i would become allergic to them. :(

Adalaide Mentor

I recently decided to become allergic to the sun. Or rather, my body decided this for me. Not on the top of my list of things I'd opt to be allergic to. <_<

I also believe that the reaction I had to an avocado was an oas allergic reaction. The more I delve into that the more it makes sense, as I've been trying to discover if I have a chamomile problem as well and it also fits into a common oas category. How stupid is it to be allergic to chamomile tea?

cyclinglady Grand Master

I tested high for mushrooms 15 years ago.  So, I avoid all of them (would rather cheat with ice cream!)  The weird thing is that I'm allergic to almonds (tree nut), but not to walnuts.  Recently, cashews and pistachios have bothered me but I'm still okay with walnuts.  

Juliebove Rising Star

Not allergies but intolerances.  Chammomile, thyme, tarragon, lovage, cloves, and mint.  All things that I used all the time and all things I was clueless about.  Turns out that the mint was causing me to need toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  And of course that had mint in it, but whatever else they put was calming that down.  Now I know why when I had an upset stomach and ate or drank mint, it only got worse.

I also can not have chicken, lamb, dairy, eggs, oysters, fish and shellfish, some kind of ground peanuts that I've never heard of because they don't grow here.  Almonds, macadamias, pecans and pistachios.  Also oats and rye.  I stupidly ate cereal with oats in it the other day.  I didn't read the ingredients and thought that it was only corn.  And I itched and broke out in hives all day after.  Only realized my mistake after daughter was reading the ingredients and saw the oats on there.

Daughter can not have basil or rosehips among other things.

And wouldn't you know...  My husband is Italian!  Daughter and I can no longer go out for Italian food or purchase most red sauces or products containing them because there is almost always herbs in there that we can't have.  Luckily the red sauce that I've made since I was a kid is easy and quick to make and only has oregano in it.  But I mostly have to cook from scratch now and avoid many HBA items.  So many things just say "flavorings" or "spices" and since I don't know what those are, I either have to write to the company or ust avoid them.

• 2 weeks later...
designerstubble Enthusiast

Since being gluten-free, I have become allergic (wheezing, severe coughing) to citrus, tomatoes, seeds give me swollen eyes, ezcema! Amongst many other intolerances! Woo! Awesome.. Er, not! ;)

GottaSki Mentor

I know...I'm a broken record....but mushrooms, oysters, avocado and sunshine all contain high levels of HISTAMINE or induce histamine production in the body -- Those of us with damaged small intestines can't properly regulate excess histamine because the enzymes that take care of this for us are produced in the mucosal lining of the small intestine.

"HIT" or "Histamine Intolerance" -- check it out.

Edited -- had to run to other computer to add the following link:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, I'm another on the HIT parade.!

If I take those high histamine foods out for a few weeks and add just one or two back in, the inflammation goes down.

My GI doc says this is a real food intolerance based on low levels of two enzymes produced in the gut  that break down and regulate histamine in the body.

How can this happen? celiac is one way. 

Lisa has provided one link and here is another.

It's a long article, but worth reading.

Open Original Shared Link

Unless you are having an IgE-mediated reaction, it may not be a true allergy.

In time, you can get those foods back, but you need to figure out your tolerance level.

I had bacon, tomatoes and hard cheese last weekend (plus BOOZE LOL) and I am fine today.

Before this, I would have been swollen, sore in my joints and muscles, my skin burning and I would be  red faced, red splotches on my face and scalp and unable to sleep from insomnia and erratic heartbeat.

Heal the gut, maybe resolve the problem. 

Just some thoughts!

bartfull Rising Star

I had a full blown allergic reaction to oysters and my doctor told me that if a person is going to react to any shellfish, oysters are the most likely one. He also told me that often, if a person reacts badly to oysters they will then react to other shellfish. Thank GOD that didn't happen to me!

GottaSki Mentor

I had a full blown allergic reaction to oysters and my doctor told me that if a person is going to react to any shellfish, oysters are the most likely one. He also told me that often, if a person reacts badly to oysters they will then react to other shellfish. Thank GOD that didn't happen to me!

And I am fine with oysters, clams and shrimp (in moderation) -- but severe allergic type reaction to lobster and crab :P

bartfull Rising Star

Wow, Lisa! That must be awful! LOBSTER??!!! CRAB???!!! I love oysters too, but they are a lot easier to give up than lobster and crab. My favorite seafood of all is shrimp, followed by crab, followed by lobster.

Of course I can't get those here. :angry: All the seafood for sale in this little town comes from China, and I won't eat that. But if I drive 120 miles round trip, I can get wild caught USA seafood. Last time I went, they had lobster tails on sale for six dollars a piece. I bought three and cooked them all and ate them in one sitting! I can get Pacific cod too (not as good as atlantic cod, but it'll do). I don't do that too often though because it is $18 for one little six ounce filet.

I swear, if I ever go back east it won't be because I want to see my old friends, it'll be because I want to eat as much seafood as I can stand! :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Wow, Lisa! That must be awful! LOBSTER??!!! CRAB???!!! I love oysters too, but they are a lot easier to give up than lobster and crab. My favorite seafood of all is shrimp, followed by crab, followed by lobster.

I'm with you...if I get it back....oh boy...I've got plans!!!!

along the lines of our funky little quirks....my entire life pre-dx I could eat lobster and crab...but my skin had severe itchy reaction -- as in I could not deal with getting lobster from the shell or crack crabs -- thankfully my fisherman took pity on me since I was 18 and was willing to do the work so I could eat these treats....me thinks he is not sad that I can no longer eat these two wonderful crustaceans  :P

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Junior Mints.

I think it's the processed mint flavoring (they say peppermint oil but I've looked up commercial peppermint oil and its a hodgepodge). Also get sick on Andes Mints.

I can eat fresh mint just fine. Tried a bit of organic mint extract in ice cream and that was ok....

Yeah, weirdest intolerance, ever. Junior Mints.

I LOVED Junior Mints, and all things mint. Now I am very leery (because uncontrollable D scares me), and I run from it like its a snake.

GottaSki Mentor

Junior Mints.

I think it's the processed mint flavoring (they say peppermint oil but I've looked up commercial peppermint oil and its a hodgepodge). Also get sick on Andes Mints.

I can eat fresh mint just fine. Tried a bit of organic mint extract in ice cream and that was ok....

Yeah, weirdest intolerance, ever. Junior Mints.

I LOVED Junior Mints, and all things mint. Now I am very leery (because uncontrollable D scares me), and I run from it like its a snake.

Hey....this happened to me too!  I use fresh mint herbs, mint extract, etc. just fine...but oh my goodness....will be a long time before I have processed mint candy.

Guess I should add...this reaction was quite a while ago -- not sure what the current formulation is.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hey....this happened to me too!  I use fresh mint herbs, mint extract, etc. just fine...but oh my goodness....will be a long time before I have processed mint candy.

Guess I should add...this reaction was quite a while ago -- not sure what the current formulation is.

I ate a bite of commercial mint ice cream a few months ago, almost threw up. To be fair, it was the same day I ate a cc'd pizza...

Yeah, junior mints and Andes are made in gluten-free factories... I know it's not gluten.

The Junior Mint/Andes thing hit over a year ago. I ate junior mints like a crazy woman after going gluten-free - then one day they made me sick. The end.

GottaSki Mentor

I ate a bite of commercial mint ice cream a few months ago, almost threw up. To be fair, it was the same day I ate a cc'd pizza...

Yeah, junior mints and Andes are made in gluten-free factories... I know it's not gluten.

The Junior Mint/Andes thing hit over a year ago. I ate junior mints like a crazy woman after going gluten-free - then one day they made me sick. The end.

Yep....I know it is not gluten...these are on our safe candy list for our kids and grands....just one of those things for now.

Brandiwine Contributor

I'm allergic to cinnamon!!! Can you imagine?! People don't even believe me when I say I have this allergy they're like " you like cinnamon?" I LOVE cinnamon but my body disagrees :(

Archived