12 replies to this topic

#1 Elfunk11

Elfunk11

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

I was just recently diagnosed with celiacs and have a true passion for baking. I've been looking at different recipes and all of them seem to call for different types of flour (coconut, rice, etc) to replace all purpose flour. Is there a certain type of flour that works better than others or can be used in all recipes as a substitute or is the type of flour specific to each recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

I just use gluten-free "All purpose" flour from Bob's Red Mill.  Costco was selling it.  Now, I find it on sale and stock up.  It seems to be a hassle to have to store other flours.  Perhaps, I will in the future.  In the meantime, what I bake is pretty darn good.  I've converted most of my old recipes to gluten-free.  I find that "spicing up" and adding flavors is best since the flours do have a different taste (no plain butter cookies or yellow cake).  I'm going to try other all-purpose brands when my supply runs out.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have 22 different kinds of flour in our freezers as I find very specific attributes for various types of baked goods.  For example, garfava is great when you require the strength of high protein such as pizza crust that you can actually roll out, not just slap down on the pan.

So many things are incredibly easy to make gluten free including brownies, cookies, cakes and quick breads.  The trickier things include cinnamon rolls and yeast breads, croissants, English muffins and bagels.  I find making my own blends to be fun, experimental and creative. 

My favourites include chestnut, sorghum, amaranth, quinoa, garfava, ivory teff....  Plain white rice, potato and tapioca flours/starches are common but have very little nutritional value so I use those less. 

My MIL brought me some King Arthur flours back from the U.S. which I find to be the best AP flour blend if I am not making my own.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

I made my own blends when I first had to go gluten-free (10 years ago) but am thrilled not to have to store (and purchase!) all those different kinds of flours! Now I'm a huge fan of Better Batter flour that I buy online. I've not tried a lot of cakes or cookies but the pie crusts I make are delicious and the dough rolls out really well.

luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I made my own blends when I first had to go gluten-free (10 years ago) but am thrilled not to have to store (and purchase!) all those different kinds of flours! Now I'm a huge fan of Better Batter flour that I buy online. I've not tried a lot of cakes or cookies but the pie crusts I make are delicious and the dough rolls out really well.

Thanks!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you want an all in one, I swear by King Arthur's AP gluten-free flour!  We have other allergies in our house (nuts and peanuts) so we can't use Bob's.  

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Better Batter is very good.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Heatherjo

Heatherjo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have used Better Batter flour for a few years now. Nothing will ever cook the same as wheat flour, but this comes very close. I have made things with this flour that people do not realize that ut is gluten free. I think that is a major accomplishment, considering when I first started cooking gluten free 7 years ago it was almost impossible to make something that tasted good. I also subscribe to the blogger that uses the better batter flour-she also has 2 cookbooks. I have made a lot of recipes from those cookbooks and love to get her new recipes from the blog. It has made being gluten free and dairy free a lot easier.

#9 TGK112

TGK112

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

All my baking is done with Bob's Red Mill All Purpose flour with great success ( and with added xanthan gum). I've been able to use all my old recipes - and it's very hard to believe that the banana bread, or muffins... are gluten free.

#10 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have used so many flours out there - Our favorite for almost everything baking wise is Jules Gluten Free Flour (online only ...so worth trying a bag) and her bread mix is like heaven!  So good. I also do like Better Batter and King Arthurs, but I like Jules the best. I have a freezer full of it (I like to bake!).  Good luck! It does get easier!

#11 surviormom

surviormom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have used so many flours out there - Our favorite for almost everything baking wise is Jules Gluten Free Flour (online only ...so worth trying a bag) and her bread mix is like heaven!  So good. I also do like Better Batter and King Arthurs, but I like Jules the best. I have a freezer full of it (I like to bake!).  Good luck! It does get easier!

I can second that.  I am no expert, in celiac and gluten intolerance, I am learning every day, but I am an excellent cook/baker, best flour I have found.  It allows me to use many of my old recipes still I just have to swap flour and milk/butter.  I have 4 bags in the pantry right now.  Just made birthday cupcakes with it.  :)

Gluten Free 2012 - Dairy Free 2012 - Acid Reflux Diet 2013

Chronic Gastritis 2013 - Peptic Duodenitis 2013 - Hiatal Hernia 2013 - C-Diff 2013 - Endometriosis 2013 - Uterine Fibroids 2013

Patellar Tendonitis 2013 - Arthritis 2014 - NCGI 2014 - Erosive Esophagitis 2014 - Barretts 2014

I have a long list of physical ailments that were being grouped into age/gender by doctors.

Began Gluten Free and Casein Free after an Allergy Test trying to find answers to health problems that the doctors just were not answering well enough. Looking back through history, I have a lifetime of allergies and gastro issues.

Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

#12 Marlie

Marlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

I do not like bob's red mill. It's too gritty. Tried king Arthur and did not like that either. Tried mixing flours but got bored. So far Jules or cup for cup we like best. Better batter I have not tried yet.

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

What are you baking?  Different gluten-free mixes can be better/worse for dif applications.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: