5 replies to this topic

#1 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Just a quickie. I went lactose free on the suggestion of an alternative practitioner friend when diagnosed last oct, as I had continued abdomen pain. The pain eventually disappeared mostly.
I've been dairy free for over 6 months, 2 days ago accidentally took a couple of gulps of my sisters milky tea. Ugh! I was thirsty so swallowed a couple of mouthfuls. I was nervous but nothing seemed to happen. Then a few hours later ate my normal rice & veg and since then... Bloating, diarrhea, massive wind, I don't 'feel safe' without a bathroom near by, have the urgency.
Apart from that I'm fine. No pains or cramps. I thought I'd be ok with lactose now, it's been over 6 months?
Any thoughts anyone? Anyone had similar? Does it sound like lactose I tolerance? Could it be that I need wait even more time (even though this was an accident!).... Must admit, what a nice cup of tea she was drinking! Mmmmm!

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

It sounds like you need to give dairy a bit more time. Maybe try the lactose free foods first like hard cheeses in a few months?

Good luck!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I know that some folks who have Celiac have trouble digesting lactose (dairy), but are you sure you don't have a true milk allergy?  I've been allergic to cow's milk proteins (casein and whey) for more than 20 years!  Ingesting it doesn't just bother my GI tract but within seconds, my nose gets congested, etc.  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#4 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

It sounds like you need to give dairy a bit more time. Maybe try the lactose free foods first like hard cheeses in a few months?

Good luck!

Thanks
Do you mean just normal hard cheeses? Are they lactose free?? Or do you mean specifically "lactose free" cheese? I'm eating butter but I know there is hardly any lactose in it!

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#5 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

I know that some folks who have Celiac have trouble digesting lactose (dairy), but are you sure you don't have a true milk allergy? I've been allergic to cow's milk proteins (casein and whey) for more than 20 years! Ingesting it doesn't just bother my GI tract but within seconds, my nose gets congested, etc.

Oh now there's a thought! It wouldn't surprise me tbh. I seem to have incurred many allergies and intolerances! It never bothered me until a year before diagnosis when I would have a real full on active phase of celiacs, feeling really very ill. It seemed that cheese triggered it always?? I think it might have been anything fatty actually. Anything fried. but especially anything with cheese. terrible with pizza! My body couldn't digest it, made me very ill.
I hope that maybe I'll be ok with it one day. All the docs here seem to thinking should be fine with lactose now. Is it normal to have such a bad gut for so long (2days so far!) just with a couple of gulps of tea?

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks
Do you mean just normal hard cheeses? Are they lactose free?? Or do you mean specifically "lactose free" cheese? I'm eating butter but I know there is hardly any lactose in it!

Harder cheeses usually have less lactose, and aged cheese have less as well. http://cheese.about....ree-Cheese.htm  Your safest bet would be to buy lactose free cheese or switch to dairy free cheese.

I wasn't drinking milk when I was diagnosed because I was vaguely aware that milk gave me stomach aches.... that took me a looooong time to figure out because the doctor of my youth told me to drink milk when i got stomach aches after eating -no wonder I never noticed it helping, eh?  LOL :rolleyes:  Anyway, I was eating cheese and yogurt so I gave them up too because I was still not feeling perfect.  Well, I'm still not feeling perfect but my skin improved some and my gut is a bit better, and now that I'm used to not eating milk products, I do not see any need to go back to it. Besides, I doubt people are designed to consume a cow's breast milk.  ;) At least that's what I tesll myself when i see a nice swiss cheese.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: