4 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

I was DX Celiac 3 years ago this past week. Shortly after DX, I was food allergy tested. The Dr told me I would not be positive for wheat because Celiac is auto immune etc. However, she was surprised when I reacted to wheat and barely. (skin test) I haven't thought to much about it because I must be gluten-free anyway. I've had good and bad days trying to feel better. I work at a school and am around gluten a lot! I try to do  my best at avoiding it.

Sometimes I notice if I am in the same room with someone else cooking gluten I start to cramp up. I just thought I was crazy until today.You know, it's all in my head thing. I was alone all weekend with no gluten in sight and I felt human! Today I picked my daughter up from her friends and she hugged me a lot. About 15 minutes later, I'm cramping and bloating. Now, call me crazy, I asked her what she had eaten. She said pancakes, am I crazy? They had made pancakes from a mix. Has anyone heard of this. I didn't want to write this, because I didn't want people to think I've totally lost it.

My daughter said she will go gluten-free all summer to see if this is truly an issue for me.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I crazy?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

C Kip! I am so happy to see you! ;)

Want my opinion--from my "gut"? sure, why wouldn't you have a reaction of some kind?

if you are still having "good and bad days" 3 years later? SOMETHING is causing you grief.

Celiacs can also have a wheat allergy (and I say this often) and it is entirely possible that just being around wheat flour ( or people consuming it ) is giving you continuing symptoms.

If your daughter is willing to go gluten-free to see if you feel better, well, kudos to her..... and frankly, she may benefit as well as I am a huge believer in the hereditary aspect of this disease--no matter what the celiac test results say/

It is always great to "see you" either here or on GD site. Take care, dear girl!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

C Kip! I am so happy to see you! ;)

Want my opinion--from my "gut"? sure, why wouldn't you have a reaction of some kind?

if you are still having "good and bad days" 3 years later? SOMETHING is causing you grief.

Celiacs can also have a wheat allergy (and I say this often) and it is entirely possible that just being around wheat flour ( or people consuming it ) is giving you continuing symptoms.

If your daughter is willing to go gluten-free to see if you feel better, well, kudos to her..... and frankly, she may benefit as well as I am a huge believer in the hereditary aspect of this disease--no matter what the celiac test results say/

It is always great to "see you" either here or on GD site. Take care, dear girl!!

Thanks Irish!!

I'm about to have a break coming soon, so you will "see me" more often!

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#4 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

I do have typical wheat allergy symptoms at times... last time I tried a gluten challenge, my lips, eyes, and face puffed up, and my heart raced. Classic allergy stuff...

But whenever I get glutened, my guts ALSO go freakin' bonkers. Classic intolerance.

So is it allergy or intolerance? My GI gave up trying to decide and just went with common sense: DON'T... EAT... WHEAT...

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#5 Celiacmama83

Celiacmama83

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I was just tested for Wheat allergy and I should have my results in two weeks. I accidently ingested wheat and my eyes became swollen and I broke out in hives. My doctor said that it probably wasn't wheat, but maybe my makeup. I've been using the same makeup for years and it happens to be gluten-free. I don't know what else it could have been. We will see in a few weeks what is causing this reaction. It was pretty scary and hoping it doesn't happen again. I have never once had an issue, but once I went gluten-free I have become super sensitive to a lot of different things. I'm so nervous, I don't even want to eat :(

Diagnosed with Celiac through blood work 3/27/2013

Went gluten-free on 3/27/2013

Diagnosed with Endometriosis 2/10/2012

Diagnosed with Psoriasis 5/12/2009

Awaiting results of food allergy test - Possible wheat allergy

I have suffered leg pain, stomach pain, brain fog and skin rashes for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: