#1 gf_soph

gf_soph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

Warning to Aussies

Cadbury have just started releasing new packaging, which has a 'may contain traces of wheat' statement, even on plain milk chocolate. 

When contacted via facebook, the response was that there hadn't been any changes to ingredients or production methods, but they had reviewed their allergen labelling to better reflect the allergens that may be present due to cross contamination.

They didn't seem to understand that it is unacceptable that there has always been the potential for cross-contamination, and they have only just decided to start declaring this. How can a company this big not understand the mandatory reporting of allergenic cross contamination?

As a highly sensitive celiac I am furious that a previously trusted brand hasn't been properly declaring this issue, especially as in the past their website even had a list of gluten content categories, dividing between 'gluten free', 'traces of gluten (<20ppm)' and 'contains gluten'. To blithely state now that they 'never claimed their products were gluten free' is an insult to consumers as well as a misunderstanding of the issue. 

There goes one of my only emergency convenience food options!

Soph

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

If you have been eating it with no problems and the manufacturing process hasn't changed, its still the same food you have been eating all along.

I don't know the rules in Australia, but in the US, they  don't have to label the shared facility or shared lines thing.  Maybe they had a certain period of time to comply with your labelling laws?  If they have blatantly been flaunting the labelling laws in your country, you could contact whatever agency is in charge of that.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 gfaussie

gfaussie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:21 AM

Warning to Aussies

Cadbury have just started releasing new packaging, which has a 'may contain traces of wheat' statement, even on plain milk chocolate. 

When contacted via facebook, the response was that there hadn't been any changes to ingredients or production methods, but they had reviewed their allergen labelling to better reflect the allergens that may be present due to cross contamination.

They didn't seem to understand that it is unacceptable that there has always been the potential for cross-contamination, and they have only just decided to start declaring this. How can a company this big not understand the mandatory reporting of allergenic cross contamination?

As a highly sensitive celiac I am furious that a previously trusted brand hasn't been properly declaring this issue, especially as in the past their website even had a list of gluten content categories, dividing between 'gluten free', 'traces of gluten (<20ppm)' and 'contains gluten'. To blithely state now that they 'never claimed their products were gluten free' is an insult to consumers as well as a misunderstanding of the issue. 

There goes one of my only emergency convenience food options!

Soph

Created an account just to reply to this. 

I too am furious at Cadbury's insult to its customers by saying they never made gluten free statements.  Here is a link I had in my favourites - http://www.cadbury.c...ormation.aspx.  Unfortunately I didn't print it and now the link doesn't work of course.  If the was a potential for cross-contamination it should have previously been labelled.  Australian coeliacs falsely chose their products over others because of their labels.  Hopefully Food Standards Australia are onto this and they get fined, and we get a well deserved apology!

Rachel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: