Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Eating Gluten Free Makes Me Starving!

28 posts in this topic

After my first celiac tests were negative I tried eating gluten free anyways.. I ended up STARVING! I lost weight really fast and I just needed to stuff my face all day! I love food, but it got to the point were I was just so tired of eating lol. Having such a big appetite is what caused me to cave and start eating gluten again and just get more tests done.

Well, gluten free again and I can feel the hunger slowly coming back! How do I deal with this?? Does this happen to anyone else? I've only lasted like a week gluten free because of this...

Ads by Google:

Ohh and im tired all the time... but being gluten free makes it WORSE! I feel like I can get better sleep though.

What are you eating differently when you are eating gluten free? Are you eating lots of empty-caloried gluten-free processed products? Or are you continuing to eat whole grains, just of the gluten free variety, along with a balanced diet?

I'm eating my regular diet pretty much, except no bread. I'm eating a lot of fruits, veggies, chicken, peanut butter, rice, rice cakes... and just fairly healthy stuff.

Yep. When I first went gluten-free I was eating meat, potatoes, veggies, and I would munch on fruit for snacks. And I was ALWAYS hungry!

Before gluten-free, I always felt that unless I had meat, I never felt full. After gluten-free I thought it must have been the bread (I lived on burgers) that made me feel full.

I suggest you eat lots of small meals instead of three big ones. After a while the hunger will diminish. Gluten acts like a drug and until you "detox" from it, your body will keep craving it.

Uh, it took me about three months. :mellow:

When I went gluten free in October 2010 I had the opposite reaction.

I went hyper and I barely slept and was talking really fast like someone on speed.

Later I tried the high protein diet and I was starving on that one.

So that was useless for me.

Are you ok with eating cheeze?  

I found eating real cheeze made with real cream really cuts my appetite.

Peanut butter without all the additives is better too as it has less sugar.

I also ate Coconut cream (it's comes in a little box and tastes quite sweet but is low in sugar).

I like eating a cut apple and cucumber pieces which is quite filling.

I eat broccoli and steamed carrots which I sprinkle with garlic powder.

I drink water rather than juice and sodas which are loaded with sugar.

Keep on eating and don't starve. :)

Yep. When I first went gluten-free I was eating meat, potatoes, veggies, and I would munch on fruit for snacks. And I was ALWAYS hungry!

Before gluten-free, I always felt that unless I had meat, I never felt full. After gluten-free I thought it must have been the bread (I lived on burgers) that made me feel full.

I suggest you eat lots of small meals instead of three big ones. After a while the hunger will diminish. Gluten acts like a drug and until you "detox" from it, your body will keep craving it.

Uh, it took me about three months. :mellow:

YES. When i'm eating gluten I'm never full either! Ohh my... I'm going to be spending ALL my money on food for the next three months... Lol!

When I went gluten free in October 2010 I had the opposite reaction.

I went hyper and I barely slept and was talking really fast like someone on speed.

Later I tried the high protein diet and I was starving on that one.

So that was useless for me.

Are you ok with eating cheeze?  

I found eating real cheeze made with real cream really cuts my appetite.

Peanut butter without all the additives is better too as it has less sugar.

I also ate Coconut cream (it's comes in a little box and tastes quite sweet but is low in sugar).

I like eating a cut apple and cucumber pieces which is quite filling.

I eat broccoli and steamed carrots which I sprinkle with garlic powder.

I drink water rather than juice and sodas which are loaded with sugar.

Keep on eating and don't starve. :)

I don't like cheese all that much... But cheddar cheese is pretty good.. I'll think i'll buy some more soon ha. and I already eat A LOT of peanut butter.. And it's the natural kind :P I love eating natural when I can.

Lol, ohh i'll defiantly keep eating! Ha.

But your lucky that it made you hyper! Ha. I feel like once my body adjusts i'll be more like that too, but for now I need lots of naps! But in general I feel a lot happier and nicer, so i'm good with that :) 

Make sure to have plenty of good fats.  I have coconut, olive oil, or butter.  I have about 1 Tbsp 3 times a day.  This helps you feel full and stay full longer.  Still, your body just may need time to adjust.

Diana

I had that problem too.  I think it may have been gluten withdrawal.  I stuck it out and it went away.  That was almost 6 years ago so it is hard to remember, but it maybe took 6 weeks?  Keeping a balanced diet including all nutrients should help.

Fats will help. Slows down the digestion, too.

Also, do you think you might be going a little hypoglycemic? Because that's how I get when I do that...I eat nonstop. Adding fiber rich foods and 2x the protein, and preemptive eating helps. And if it gets too bad, 12 ghiradelli semi sweet chips.

When you go through withdrawal the body can flip out - wouldn't surprise me that your body goes hypoglycemic from withdrawal and from eating gluten....one is from shock, the other from irritation.

Also, do you think you might be going a little hypoglycemic? Because that's how I get when I do that...I eat nonstop. Adding fiber rich foods and 2x the protein, and preemptive eating helps. And if it gets too bad, 12 ghiradelli semi sweet chips.

When you go through withdrawal the body can flip out - wouldn't surprise me that your body goes hypoglycemic from withdrawal and from eating gluten....one is from shock, the other from irritation.

Hmm... I have no idea! I'll have to do some more research on that... I used to actually think there was something wrong with me that had to do with diabetes... How long did it take you for this problem to go away?

Actually this makes a lot of sense... If I don't eat for a long period of time a get really shaky and i get heart palpitations (i think... my heart will feel like it beats rapidly for a short time, then it usually goes away) and probably other symptoms that I don't even realize... And I thought that these were just related to gluten. How do I get tested for this?? I've been going to the doctors a lot and I'm afraid they just think i'm a hypochondriac...

Actually this makes a lot of sense... If I don't eat for a long period of time a get really shaky and i get heart palpitations (i think... my heart will feel like it beats rapidly for a short time, then it usually goes away) and probably other symptoms that I don't even realize... And I thought that these were just related to gluten. How do I get tested for this?? I've been going to the doctors a lot and I'm afraid they just think i'm a hypochondriac...

There's a test for it, ask your doctor.

The BEST way, IMO, to test your glucose levels is to buy a home glucose monitor and track your levels for a week - when you wake up, before you eat, after you eat, and 2 hours after meals. Write it all down, and keep a food diary with it. THEN go to the doctor.

You can have hypo symptoms without technically having hypoglycemia - probably related to a hormonal imbalance or adrenals, or even pre diabetes.

You can learn to manage it, and I've been successful at calming mine down. My thyroid plays a HUGE part in my hypoglycemia, I've discovered.

yes, you don't need to be pathologically low blood sugar to get symptoms.  can be the "rate" of drop that will do it.

yes, you don't need to be pathologically low blood sugar to get symptoms. can be the "rate" of drop that will do it.

And the swings - up and down. That gets me...

There's a test for it, ask your doctor.

The BEST way, IMO, to test your glucose levels is to buy a home glucose monitor and track your levels for a week - when you wake up, before you eat, after you eat, and 2 hours after meals. Write it all down, and keep a food diary with it. THEN go to the doctor.

You can have hypo symptoms without technically having hypoglycemia - probably related to a hormonal imbalance or adrenals, or even pre diabetes.

You can learn to manage it, and I've been successful at calming mine down. My thyroid plays a HUGE part in my hypoglycemia, I've discovered.

Hmm okay! I think i'm going to wait and see what my doctor says, or if it goes away after being gluten free for a longer period of time.

I guess I'm not saying I HAVE hypo, I just think that something in that nature is effecting me. I normally probably wouldnt even think that I had a blood sugar problem, but i'm sort of convinced because a long time ago I thought I was just pre diabetic or something just because some of my symptoms matched it... But this was during the time that I was eating the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life.. so i thought..(wheat bread).

Plus, through dieting I found that I need sugar... The more sugar I eat the better I feel.. sort of. And this is probably because my diet used to be sooo bad, filled with sweets.

Hmm okay! I think i'm going to wait and see what my doctor says, or if it goes away after being gluten free for a longer period of time.

I guess I'm not saying I HAVE hypo, I just think that something in that nature is effecting me. I normally probably wouldnt even think that I had a blood sugar problem, but i'm sort of convinced because a long time ago I thought I was just pre diabetic or something just because some of my symptoms matched it... But this was during the time that I was eating the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life.. so i thought..(wheat bread).

Plus, through dieting I found that I need sugar... The more sugar I eat the better I feel.. sort of. And this is probably because my diet used to be sooo bad, filled with sweets.

Your doctor probably won't do a thing, and you'll probably continue to suffer. Sorry, I'm not getting the congeniality award online or at home today.

You're getting a sugar high - your adrenals are getting a kick from sugar - something isn't working right.

My doc would say yeast overgrowth or SIBO. If you crave sugar or need it like that - something is wrong.

She would also put you on adrenal support and give you the sugar speech (which I didn't get because by the time I got to her sweets made me want to vomit). But I did get the adrenals speech, supplements, and the eating-on-a-schedule pre diabetes/insulin resistance speech.

Could this be a stage? Yes. But it existed pre gluten-free. Not likely. You are compensating - autoimmunies do it VERY well. It's a process, healing.

Your doctor probably won't do a thing, and you'll probably continue to suffer. Sorry, I'm not getting the congeniality award online or at home today.

You're getting a sugar high - your adrenals are getting a kick from sugar - something isn't working right.

My doc would say yeast overgrowth or SIBO. If you crave sugar or need it like that - something is wrong.

She would also put you on adrenal support and give you the sugar speech (which I didn't get because by the time I got to her sweets made me want to vomit). But I did get the adrenals speech, supplements, and the eating-on-a-schedule pre diabetes/insulin resistance speech.

Could this be a stage? Yes. But it existed pre gluten-free. Not likely. You are compensating - autoimmunies do it VERY well. It's a process, healing.

Hmmff.. :( Well I mean... I have anxiety super bad right now because of gluten... i'm 18.. Recently moved and have no money to buy any of this stuff that you say... I also can't tell my mom about this, because shel just blow it off.. I cant even tell her about any doctors appointments i schedule anymore either. So I guess right now, I just can't organize my brain to figure out what to do about this! I'm going to atleast bring it up to my doctor to see what he has to say first... then if he doesnt do anything about it, i'll try and find the next step once im able to think straight.

I don't really get what your saying in the last sentence?... that because i eat gluten free is why my blood sugar is low?

Ohhh nvm, I get it. Yeah, I know I had this problem pre gluten free, but then, i just thought it was just another celiac symptom

Ohhh nvm, I get it. Yeah, I know I had this problem pre gluten free, but then, i just thought it was just another celiac symptom

If a glucose monitor isn't in the budget, see if you can borrow one. You still must buy the lancets/strips, and the strips are the most expensive part.

Have you been diagnosed with Celiac or NCGS? Sorry, I can't see footers on my phone.

The test a doc can reco is something that should be covered under insurance; however, if you are pre diabetic or above the hypo range (but still getting that feeling) it won't show it. It tests for a specific glucose drop. Your doc can order a breath test for SIBO, and an HBA1C for prediabetes.

You may be paranoid from withdrawal, but you know if you crave sugar....and there's more to it than going gluten-free. I hope you find the support you need. Id hate for you to limp along, wondering why things aren't progressing like you feel they should. And if glucose/adrenals/SIBO/yeast are issues, also, it can be tough to feel as well as you'd like.

If a glucose monitor isn't in the budget, see if you can borrow one. You still must buy the lancets/strips, and the strips are the most expensive part.

Have you been diagnosed with Celiac or NCGS? Sorry, I can't see footers on my phone.

The test a doc can reco is something that should be covered under insurance; however, if you are pre diabetic or above the hypo range (but still getting that feeling) it won't show it. It tests for a specific glucose drop. Your doc can order a breath test for SIBO, and an HBA1C for prediabetes.

You may be paranoid from withdrawal, but you know if you crave sugar....and there's more to it than going gluten-free. I hope you find the support you need. Id hate for you to limp along, wondering why things aren't progressing like you feel they should. And if glucose/adrenals/SIBO/yeast are issues, also, it can be tough to feel as well as you'd like.

Alright, thanks.

ANd no I have not been diagnosed. My tests were negative for celiac so I just consider myself NCGI.

This is allll soooo confusinggggg! Ughhhh! But thank you so much for the help... Hopefully I will be able to get all the tests that I need.

vanilla ice cream, hershey syrup, a scoop of peanut butter, and a banana with a splash of milk...  blend...  I have to eat eggs, bacon, and two pieces of gluten free bread in the morning to stay full passed 11a.  I usually do steak, chicken, or pork of some kind for dinner with sides.  If you're staying hungry, adding calories is easy.  

not sure if that's what you're looking for but I stay hungry all the time and meats/calories help.

vanilla ice cream, hershey syrup, a scoop of peanut butter, and a banana with a splash of milk...  blend...  I have to eat eggs, bacon, and two pieces of gluten free bread in the morning to stay full passed 11a.  I usually do steak, chicken, or pork of some kind for dinner with sides.  If you're staying hungry, adding calories is easy.  

not sure if that's what you're looking for but I stay hungry all the time and meats/calories help.

Ahh... My issues isnt weight loss its actually weight gain btw ha. But once I start gluten free I drop weight fast, no matter how much i eat... But I dont know how my body reacts long term... I hope I dont stay hungry and gain a bunch of weight :/

And btw, I will get those things that you say, once I get a job. Thanks so much :)