27 replies to this topic

#1 taynichaf

taynichaf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

After my first celiac tests were negative I tried eating gluten free anyways.. I ended up STARVING! I lost weight really fast and I just needed to stuff my face all day! I love food, but it got to the point were I was just so tired of eating lol. Having such a big appetite is what caused me to cave and start eating gluten again and just get more tests done.

Well, gluten free again and I can feel the hunger slowly coming back! How do I deal with this?? Does this happen to anyone else? I've only lasted like a week gluten free because of this...

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ohh and im tired all the time... but being gluten free makes it WORSE! I feel like I can get better sleep though.

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#3 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

What are you eating differently when you are eating gluten free? Are you eating lots of empty-caloried gluten-free processed products? Or are you continuing to eat whole grains, just of the gluten free variety, along with a balanced diet?

#4 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm eating my regular diet pretty much, except no bread. I'm eating a lot of fruits, veggies, chicken, peanut butter, rice, rice cakes... and just fairly healthy stuff.

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Yep. When I first went gluten-free I was eating meat, potatoes, veggies, and I would munch on fruit for snacks. And I was ALWAYS hungry!

Before gluten-free, I always felt that unless I had meat, I never felt full. After gluten-free I thought it must have been the bread (I lived on burgers) that made me feel full.

I suggest you eat lots of small meals instead of three big ones. After a while the hunger will diminish. Gluten acts like a drug and until you "detox" from it, your body will keep craving it.

Uh, it took me about three months. :mellow:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 Deaminated Marcus

Deaminated Marcus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

When I went gluten free in October 2010 I had the opposite reaction.

I went hyper and I barely slept and was talking really fast like someone on speed.

Later I tried the high protein diet and I was starving on that one.

So that was useless for me.

Are you ok with eating cheeze?  

I found eating real cheeze made with real cream really cuts my appetite.

Peanut butter without all the additives is better too as it has less sugar.

I also ate Coconut cream (it's comes in a little box and tastes quite sweet but is low in sugar).

I like eating a cut apple and cucumber pieces which is quite filling.

I eat broccoli and steamed carrots which I sprinkle with garlic powder.

I drink water rather than juice and sodas which are loaded with sugar.

Keep on eating and don't starve. :)

#7 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yep. When I first went gluten-free I was eating meat, potatoes, veggies, and I would munch on fruit for snacks. And I was ALWAYS hungry!

Before gluten-free, I always felt that unless I had meat, I never felt full. After gluten-free I thought it must have been the bread (I lived on burgers) that made me feel full.

I suggest you eat lots of small meals instead of three big ones. After a while the hunger will diminish. Gluten acts like a drug and until you "detox" from it, your body will keep craving it.

Uh, it took me about three months. :mellow:

YES. When i'm eating gluten I'm never full either! Ohh my... I'm going to be spending ALL my money on food for the next three months... Lol!

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#8 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

When I went gluten free in October 2010 I had the opposite reaction.

I went hyper and I barely slept and was talking really fast like someone on speed.

Later I tried the high protein diet and I was starving on that one.

So that was useless for me.

Are you ok with eating cheeze?  

I found eating real cheeze made with real cream really cuts my appetite.

Peanut butter without all the additives is better too as it has less sugar.

I also ate Coconut cream (it's comes in a little box and tastes quite sweet but is low in sugar).

I like eating a cut apple and cucumber pieces which is quite filling.

I eat broccoli and steamed carrots which I sprinkle with garlic powder.

I drink water rather than juice and sodas which are loaded with sugar.

Keep on eating and don't starve. :)

I don't like cheese all that much... But cheddar cheese is pretty good.. I'll think i'll buy some more soon ha. and I already eat A LOT of peanut butter.. And it's the natural kind :P I love eating natural when I can.

Lol, ohh i'll defiantly keep eating! Ha.

But your lucky that it made you hyper! Ha. I feel like once my body adjusts i'll be more like that too, but for now I need lots of naps! But in general I feel a lot happier and nicer, so i'm good with that :) 

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Make sure to have plenty of good fats.  I have coconut, olive oil, or butter.  I have about 1 Tbsp 3 times a day.  This helps you feel full and stay full longer.  Still, your body just may need time to adjust.

Diana

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I had that problem too.  I think it may have been gluten withdrawal.  I stuck it out and it went away.  That was almost 6 years ago so it is hard to remember, but it maybe took 6 weeks?  Keeping a balanced diet including all nutrients should help.

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Fats will help. Slows down the digestion, too.

Also, do you think you might be going a little hypoglycemic? Because that's how I get when I do that...I eat nonstop. Adding fiber rich foods and 2x the protein, and preemptive eating helps. And if it gets too bad, 12 ghiradelli semi sweet chips.

When you go through withdrawal the body can flip out - wouldn't surprise me that your body goes hypoglycemic from withdrawal and from eating gluten....one is from shock, the other from irritation.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Also, do you think you might be going a little hypoglycemic? Because that's how I get when I do that...I eat nonstop. Adding fiber rich foods and 2x the protein, and preemptive eating helps. And if it gets too bad, 12 ghiradelli semi sweet chips.

When you go through withdrawal the body can flip out - wouldn't surprise me that your body goes hypoglycemic from withdrawal and from eating gluten....one is from shock, the other from irritation.

Hmm... I have no idea! I'll have to do some more research on that... I used to actually think there was something wrong with me that had to do with diabetes... How long did it take you for this problem to go away?

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#13 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Actually this makes a lot of sense... If I don't eat for a long period of time a get really shaky and i get heart palpitations (i think... my heart will feel like it beats rapidly for a short time, then it usually goes away) and probably other symptoms that I don't even realize... And I thought that these were just related to gluten. How do I get tested for this?? I've been going to the doctors a lot and I'm afraid they just think i'm a hypochondriac...

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Actually this makes a lot of sense... If I don't eat for a long period of time a get really shaky and i get heart palpitations (i think... my heart will feel like it beats rapidly for a short time, then it usually goes away) and probably other symptoms that I don't even realize... And I thought that these were just related to gluten. How do I get tested for this?? I've been going to the doctors a lot and I'm afraid they just think i'm a hypochondriac...

There's a test for it, ask your doctor.

The BEST way, IMO, to test your glucose levels is to buy a home glucose monitor and track your levels for a week - when you wake up, before you eat, after you eat, and 2 hours after meals. Write it all down, and keep a food diary with it. THEN go to the doctor.

You can have hypo symptoms without technically having hypoglycemia - probably related to a hormonal imbalance or adrenals, or even pre diabetes.

You can learn to manage it, and I've been successful at calming mine down. My thyroid plays a HUGE part in my hypoglycemia, I've discovered.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

yes, you don't need to be pathologically low blood sugar to get symptoms.  can be the "rate" of drop that will do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: