27 replies to this topic

#16 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

yes, you don't need to be pathologically low blood sugar to get symptoms. can be the "rate" of drop that will do it.

And the swings - up and down. That gets me...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

There's a test for it, ask your doctor.

The BEST way, IMO, to test your glucose levels is to buy a home glucose monitor and track your levels for a week - when you wake up, before you eat, after you eat, and 2 hours after meals. Write it all down, and keep a food diary with it. THEN go to the doctor.

You can have hypo symptoms without technically having hypoglycemia - probably related to a hormonal imbalance or adrenals, or even pre diabetes.

You can learn to manage it, and I've been successful at calming mine down. My thyroid plays a HUGE part in my hypoglycemia, I've discovered.

Hmm okay! I think i'm going to wait and see what my doctor says, or if it goes away after being gluten free for a longer period of time.

I guess I'm not saying I HAVE hypo, I just think that something in that nature is effecting me. I normally probably wouldnt even think that I had a blood sugar problem, but i'm sort of convinced because a long time ago I thought I was just pre diabetic or something just because some of my symptoms matched it... But this was during the time that I was eating the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life.. so i thought..(wheat bread).

Plus, through dieting I found that I need sugar... The more sugar I eat the better I feel.. sort of. And this is probably because my diet used to be sooo bad, filled with sweets.

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#18 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hmm okay! I think i'm going to wait and see what my doctor says, or if it goes away after being gluten free for a longer period of time.

I guess I'm not saying I HAVE hypo, I just think that something in that nature is effecting me. I normally probably wouldnt even think that I had a blood sugar problem, but i'm sort of convinced because a long time ago I thought I was just pre diabetic or something just because some of my symptoms matched it... But this was during the time that I was eating the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life.. so i thought..(wheat bread).

Plus, through dieting I found that I need sugar... The more sugar I eat the better I feel.. sort of. And this is probably because my diet used to be sooo bad, filled with sweets.

Your doctor probably won't do a thing, and you'll probably continue to suffer. Sorry, I'm not getting the congeniality award online or at home today.

You're getting a sugar high - your adrenals are getting a kick from sugar - something isn't working right.

My doc would say yeast overgrowth or SIBO. If you crave sugar or need it like that - something is wrong.

She would also put you on adrenal support and give you the sugar speech (which I didn't get because by the time I got to her sweets made me want to vomit). But I did get the adrenals speech, supplements, and the eating-on-a-schedule pre diabetes/insulin resistance speech.

Could this be a stage? Yes. But it existed pre gluten-free. Not likely. You are compensating - autoimmunies do it VERY well. It's a process, healing.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#19 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Your doctor probably won't do a thing, and you'll probably continue to suffer. Sorry, I'm not getting the congeniality award online or at home today.

You're getting a sugar high - your adrenals are getting a kick from sugar - something isn't working right.

My doc would say yeast overgrowth or SIBO. If you crave sugar or need it like that - something is wrong.

She would also put you on adrenal support and give you the sugar speech (which I didn't get because by the time I got to her sweets made me want to vomit). But I did get the adrenals speech, supplements, and the eating-on-a-schedule pre diabetes/insulin resistance speech.

Could this be a stage? Yes. But it existed pre gluten-free. Not likely. You are compensating - autoimmunies do it VERY well. It's a process, healing.

Hmmff.. :( Well I mean... I have anxiety super bad right now because of gluten... i'm 18.. Recently moved and have no money to buy any of this stuff that you say... I also can't tell my mom about this, because shel just blow it off.. I cant even tell her about any doctors appointments i schedule anymore either. So I guess right now, I just can't organize my brain to figure out what to do about this! I'm going to atleast bring it up to my doctor to see what he has to say first... then if he doesnt do anything about it, i'll try and find the next step once im able to think straight.

I don't really get what your saying in the last sentence?... that because i eat gluten free is why my blood sugar is low?

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#20 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ohhh nvm, I get it. Yeah, I know I had this problem pre gluten free, but then, i just thought it was just another celiac symptom

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#21 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ohhh nvm, I get it. Yeah, I know I had this problem pre gluten free, but then, i just thought it was just another celiac symptom

If a glucose monitor isn't in the budget, see if you can borrow one. You still must buy the lancets/strips, and the strips are the most expensive part.

Have you been diagnosed with Celiac or NCGS? Sorry, I can't see footers on my phone.

The test a doc can reco is something that should be covered under insurance; however, if you are pre diabetic or above the hypo range (but still getting that feeling) it won't show it. It tests for a specific glucose drop. Your doc can order a breath test for SIBO, and an HBA1C for prediabetes.

You may be paranoid from withdrawal, but you know if you crave sugar....and there's more to it than going gluten-free. I hope you find the support you need. Id hate for you to limp along, wondering why things aren't progressing like you feel they should. And if glucose/adrenals/SIBO/yeast are issues, also, it can be tough to feel as well as you'd like.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#22 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

If a glucose monitor isn't in the budget, see if you can borrow one. You still must buy the lancets/strips, and the strips are the most expensive part.

Have you been diagnosed with Celiac or NCGS? Sorry, I can't see footers on my phone.

The test a doc can reco is something that should be covered under insurance; however, if you are pre diabetic or above the hypo range (but still getting that feeling) it won't show it. It tests for a specific glucose drop. Your doc can order a breath test for SIBO, and an HBA1C for prediabetes.

You may be paranoid from withdrawal, but you know if you crave sugar....and there's more to it than going gluten-free. I hope you find the support you need. Id hate for you to limp along, wondering why things aren't progressing like you feel they should. And if glucose/adrenals/SIBO/yeast are issues, also, it can be tough to feel as well as you'd like.

Alright, thanks.

ANd no I have not been diagnosed. My tests were negative for celiac so I just consider myself NCGI.

This is allll soooo confusinggggg! Ughhhh! But thank you so much for the help... Hopefully I will be able to get all the tests that I need.

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#23 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

vanilla ice cream, hershey syrup, a scoop of peanut butter, and a banana with a splash of milk...  blend...  I have to eat eggs, bacon, and two pieces of gluten free bread in the morning to stay full passed 11a.  I usually do steak, chicken, or pork of some kind for dinner with sides.  If you're staying hungry, adding calories is easy.  

not sure if that's what you're looking for but I stay hungry all the time and meats/calories help.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#24 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

vanilla ice cream, hershey syrup, a scoop of peanut butter, and a banana with a splash of milk...  blend...  I have to eat eggs, bacon, and two pieces of gluten free bread in the morning to stay full passed 11a.  I usually do steak, chicken, or pork of some kind for dinner with sides.  If you're staying hungry, adding calories is easy.  

not sure if that's what you're looking for but I stay hungry all the time and meats/calories help.

Ahh... My issues isnt weight loss its actually weight gain btw ha. But once I start gluten free I drop weight fast, no matter how much i eat... But I dont know how my body reacts long term... I hope I dont stay hungry and gain a bunch of weight :/

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#25 taynichaf

taynichaf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

And btw, I will get those things that you say, once I get a job. Thanks so much :)

Gluten Free 06-02-2013

Dairy Free 06-09-2013

#26 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

And btw, I will get those things that you say, once I get a job. Thanks so much :)

In the interim, eat proteins and fibers and vegetables. A little fruit. Try to stay away from sugar - and if you do coat it in fat (full fat ice cream).

Eat BEFORE you get hungry. Don't skip meals, always include a protein with every snack and meal.

That's how most handle hypoglycemia. You'll notice when you get it right.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#27 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

not sure anyone said this but...nuts and seeds! Protein Fat and Fiber! Larabars might help too, give you the idea you are eating a candy bar but it's all healthy and gluten-free.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#28 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

I'm not sure if I have this right but...

You think you're celiac but don't have an actual diagnosis?

You're currently having weight gain issues and are eating gluten.

You lose lots of weight when you eat gluten free.

You're anxious and don't want to talk to your mom about it.

1. If YOU think you're reacting to gluten and are currently experiencing weight gain issues, stop eating gluten.  The anxiety should start to solve itself over time.  Doesn't happen overnight.  Its a process.

2.  You are young and should experience intestinal healing if you have villous atrophy.  This will help you get the nutrients your body needs.  The long term effects of being gluten free are AMAZING if you are allergic to gluten.

3.  Address the weight loss bridge when you arrive to it.  My previous post is just one of many examples available for what you can do to cram calories and protein into your diet if you need them.  When I went gluten-free at first I lost LOADS of weight and had to pack calories for awhile to get it back up.  

4.  Don't let this process consume you and define you or your anxiety will continue.  Live every day that God gives you.  Don't ruin it on "Oh my God I accidentally let a piece of bread touch my finger".  If it happens, wash your hand and move on.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're going to have trial and error, slip-ups, we're human, do what you can do.

Unless you are having some seriously major issues you really don't need a bunch of doctors, tests, and appointments to help yourself.  However, over the long term, if you are celiac having the actual diagnosis is helpful to have for various reasons as you go to college or move into the workforce.  For example, if you're traveling for work, they may make extra accommodations for your travel dining if you have an allergy.  It's also important for your family physician to know if you are celiac over the long term because it could affect how aggressive he is in treating certain symptoms.

So...  If you're celiac, at some point, somehow, your doctor needs to know.  If your parents have insurance and if you are still covered on it make up an excuse to go to the doc for your sinuses or whatever and while you are there insist on a celiac blood test.  If you just go gluten free, start doing fine, and want the diagnosis in the future you'll have to do the gluten challenge and be forced to eat it in order to make the test work accurately.  It can't detect it if its not in your body.  And by then you could have healed enough that your body lets its guard down and you have a major reaction to it, which would not be fun.

My two cents...

Diagnosis 11/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: