This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thoughts On Hoda

Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

On the Today Show Hoda was laughing at Celiacs and Gluten Intolerant people. Did any of you see it? I have a link to a blog that shows the clip but I wasn't sure if it was cool to post it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

See if that works. I looked at it. I have seen them on that show a few times, but they really are hard to watch. They always have a glass of wine or some alcoholic beverage and act drunk sometimes.

I think this video is getting too much attention. Addy just posted a much better one on this thread.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/102052-for-adelaid/

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

That is the clip, I personally don't have the App to open it but that is definitely the right clip. I used to like Hoda. :(

Lisa Mentor

As a professional journalist, I thought Hoda was good.  But, paired with Kathy Lee, the both are  just plain obnoxious!

I could not get the links to work for me, but I did see a half-hearted apology to the gluten free community, today.  And the genesis for her apology, was unclear to me.  But, it was apparent that she got some flack for a previous statement.  I do think she has some food issues as well.  She won't food test/taste on the show, or very little.

kareng Grand Master

As a professional journalist, I thought Hoda was good.  But, paired with Kathy Lee, the both are  just plain obnoxious!

I could not get the links to work for me, but I did see a half-hearted apology to the gluten free community, today.  And the genesis for her apology, was unclear to me.  But, it was apparent that she got some flack for a previous statement.  I do think she has some food issues as well.  She won't food test/taste on the show, or very little.

She said she wouldn't want to date a man that wanted to eat gluten-free at a restaurant. That wasn't a real man. Kathielee tried to say but what if it was medically necessary but Hoda said some thing like " well, just don't order something that would have gluten. Don't ask if something has gluten". I doubt she has any food sensitivities or she wouldn't be like that. It's not much different than asking if it has garlic in it.

Where was this " apology"?

Lisa Mentor

Wow....here is one!

Guess we better just stay at home. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking we need an e-mail blitz to offer correct information.

Lisa Mentor

She said she wouldn't want to date a man that wanted to eat gluten-free at a restaurant. That wasn't a real man. Kathielee tried to say but what if it was medically necessary but Hoda said some thing like " well, just don't order something that would have gluten. Don't ask if something has gluten". I doubt she has any food sensitivities or she wouldn't be like that. It's not much different than asking if it has garlic in it.

Where was this " apology"?

Guess she thinks that a date ordering something guten free in a restaurant is not "manly".  Guess she should lower her standards to "normal" .  Guess CNN is a better choice in the morning.

Her apology consisted  of "I did not mean to offend anyone"  and threw up her hands and laughed it off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

What she offered was not an apology. There has been blitzing going on, and not just the email kind where it is private. That is silly and pointless. The blitzing needs to be done where it publicly calls them out, and that is what has been happening.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

That was her apology? Boo hiss!

Guess she thinks that a date ordering something guten free in a restaurant is not "manly".  Guess she should lower her standards to "normal" .  Guess CNN is a better choice in the morning.

Her apology consisted  of "I did not mean to offend anyone"  and threw up her hands and laughed it off.

That was what her fans are calling an apology????? Boooooooo

kareng Grand Master

Here is a video of it. I think she calls us " The Gluten People" ?

GottaSki Mentor

Anyone remember the old make the high school girls carry around a ten pound bag of flour or sugar for a day to get the message across that teenage pregnancy aint as cute as it looks???

I propose all journalists that wish to discuss food allergies and or any "gluten people" :ph34r: issue MUST order and eat completely gluten free / nut free in every every restaurant they visit for one full month :D

Oh...anyone know if those little handy dandy gluten test stripes are available for them to purchase to prove each meal they eat contains no cross-contamination????

notme Experienced

lolz - what sort of man does Single Lonely Can't Hold a Relationship hoda prefer?  WHO CARES.  who the crap is taking dating advice from this self-centered biatch, anyway?  blah, blah, whatever..............

that's my thoughts on hoda.

and i expect nbc to continue it's downhill spiral, especially since they are now owned by comcast <the biggest crooks/monopoly in the entertainment business.  

bartfull Rising Star

Anyone remember the old make the high school girls carry around a ten pound bag of flour or sugar for a day to get the message across that teenage pregnancy aint as cute as it looks???

I propose all journalists that wish to discuss food allergies and or any "gluten people" :ph34r: issue MUST order and eat completely gluten free / nut free in every every restaurant they visit for one full month :D

Oh...anyone know if those little handy dandy gluten test stripes are available for them to purchase to prove each meal they eat contains no cross-contamination????

AND, if they DO eat anything containing gluten, they must drink an Ex-Lax milkshake every time!!

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I was banned from FB for 12 hours and the Kathy Lee and Hoda page has blocked me. I believe I was too nice and too vocal (catch more flies with honey was my approach). The explanation FB gave was that I "Violated Community Standards" I was sent to the page on community standards and there is nothing I can see that I violated. I think that the problem was I directly quoted by screen shot someone else who had posted on the same page. That was not private information so I don't see how that was a violation. I am very angry now. I just thought I was upset before. Anyone know who at NBC to write to about this? A petition site or anything?  

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

wow  :o  pure ignorance, and so sad.  I've never cared for them.  it's supposed to be a news show, and it's like it's a girls night with magazines and wine.  you can send comments here to the Today Show Open Original Shared Link

I went to town on my response, and tried to not belittle them, but lay out the info.  enjoy  :P

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what came to mind after watching Hoda and Kathie Lee discuss what they think of men who have to eat gluten-free.  For many who have to follow the gluten-free diet, it is not a choice, but a medical necessity, myself included.  Instead of dissecting the segment and pointing out everything wrong with Hoda and Kathie Lee's comments, I choose to educate.  As an elementary teacher, it's in my nature.

First, there is such thing as a wheat allergy, but that is completely different than celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, moving forward these will be referred to as celiac disease and NCGS.  A wheat allergy is an anaphylaxis reaction.  It is possible to have both a wheat allergy and celiac disease/NCGS, but they are completely different entities.  An anaphylaxis reaction is immediate, and may involve swelling of the throat.  celiac disease/NCGS have reactions that can begin anywhere from 30 minutes to several days after eating gluten.  Every time a person with celiac disease/NCGS eats gluten it triggers a reaction.  For individuals with celiac disease, it means antibodies being produced against gluten.

With antibody production, over time celiac disease can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies since gluten damages the villi of the small intestines.  Villi are small, finger-like projections that line the small intestines and are essential to absorbing nutrients.  When these begin to be damaged, the body is not able to get nutrients from food, and the only way to stop this damage is to remove ALL gluten from a patient's diet.  In addition, when these villi tips are blunted and damaged, the enzyme lactase, which is produced at the tips of the villi, can no longer break down lactose, which is why many with celiac disease/NCGS are unable to have and digest dairy products.

Then there is the whole issue of cross contamination in a restaurant.  It is not as easy as asking the server if the item has gluten in it, trust me, I wish it was that easy!  If a gluten free item is prepared in the same area, with the same utensils, same pans as gluten items, cross contamination probability is very high.  Some restaurants in the US, have their staff go through preparation courses on how to prepare food safely for those with celiac disease/NCGS.

With the Today Show being based in New York, you have access to some of the best doctors regarding celiac disease/NCGS.  Dr. Peter Green at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University and Dr. Alessio Fasano in Boston.  The View has invited Dr. Green on their show. 

Currently 97% of those with celiac disease are undiagnosed.  No longer are the days when celiac disease means a patient is emaciated with diarrhea, but now they can also be constipated and obese.  Please use your leverage in the media to educate your viewers about celiac disease/NCGS, instead of Hoda using us as the target of her insensitive remarks. Thank you, and I look forward to seeing what NBC does to create tolerance for those with celiac disease and NCGS.

GottaSki Mentor

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what came to mind after watching Hoda and Kathie Lee discuss what they think of men who have to eat gluten-free.  For many who have to follow the gluten-free diet, it is not a choice, but a medical necessity, myself included.  Instead of dissecting the segment and pointing out everything wrong with Hoda and Kathie Lee's comments, I choose to educate.  As an elementary teacher, it's in my nature.

I love this!!!!

Thank you for sharing :)

Brandiwine Contributor

What is it about shows making Celiacs out to be weaklings?! She saying a Celiac can't put away a steak?! ( not this Celiac cause I'm Vegan which she also makes a comment about in one if her videos where she says we should stay home and eat our pre-prepared meals) she acts like a man with Celiac is cutting his food with pinkies up!!! Unbelievable at the ignorance of this women! At one point they say she wants a "caveman" that's right at her level of intelligence!!

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I made a petition but I'm not sure it's safe to link it here and I don't want to get blocked from here! ;) If it's ok someone let me know and I'll post it. If not it's on the petition site title "Today Show Coverage of Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance" it's not perfect but I tried. :)

This is what I wrote on the petition I also just sent it to the page powerofpositivethinking linked.

Dear producers of the Today Show, The Celiac and Gluten Intolerant Community has been deeply hurt by the opinions expressed by your on air team. In the case of Hoda Kotb not only did she say gluten-free men were not attractive, in her apology she called us "The Gluten People" which struck our already offended community as derogatory. The problem is lack of education. While Celiac disease and Gluten Intolerance are more widely known today than 5 years ago that knowledge doesn't seem to have spread to your program. 1 in 133 people have Celiac disease. Some people are silent Celiacs and don't realize Gluten a protein found it wheat, barley, rye, and spelt is quietly destroying their intestines. Some Celiacs can feel the pain but are still wrongly diagnosed. The more people are educated the better chance Celiacs are diagnosed before permanent potentially fatal damage is done. This disease can kill slowly and painfully. It is not a laughing matter. Especially for the children affected. Please consider these children with Celiac disease must be 100% gluten free. This includes hidden gluten. Hidden gluten might be for example an additive used as a filler. These children must be protected from cross contamination. Parents of non-Celiac children don't understand that fact. Shows that promote the idea it is just a fad cause parents of non-Celiac children to be unaware that feeding a Celiac child a regular cookie could put the child in the Emergency room. Mocking Celiacs on your program can cause the children who watch to mock their Celiac classmates. A child with an Autoimmune disease has enough problems without adults encouraging children to mock them for being ill.

Celiac disease is a life long condition. Celiacs can not cheat on their diet without serious repercussions.
We would like your program to treat this as a serious topic and not a fad diet. We would like to see you interview a Doctor who knows that Celiac Disease is a disease. That would be the greatest apology you could give.

PS on the note to the Today Show E-mail I added an explanation that calling us "The Gluten People" is derogatory in the same way saying "Those People" in regards to an ethnic group is derogatory.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

wow  :o  pure ignorance, and so sad.  I've never cared for them.  it's supposed to be a news show, and it's like it's a girls night with magazines and wine.  you can send comments here to the Today Show Open Original Shared Link

I went to town on my response, and tried to not belittle them, but lay out the info.  enjoy  :P

First, there is such thing as a wheat allergy, but that is completely different than celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, moving forward these will be referred to as celiac disease and NCGS.  A wheat allergy is an anaphylaxis reaction.  It is possible to have both a wheat allergy and celiac disease/NCGS, but they are completely different entities.  An anaphylaxis reaction is immediate, and may involve swelling of the throat.  celiac disease/NCGS have reactions that can begin anywhere from 30 minutes to several days after eating gluten.  Every time a person with celiac disease/NCGS eats gluten it triggers a reaction.  For individuals with celiac disease, it means antibodies being produced against gluten.

With antibody production, over time celiac disease can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies since gluten damages the villi of the small intestines.  Villi are small, finger-like projections that line the small intestines and are essential to absorbing nutrients.  When these begin to be damaged, the body is not able to get nutrients from food, and the only way to stop this damage is to remove ALL gluten from a patient's diet.  In addition, when these villi tips are blunted and damaged, the enzyme lactase, which is produced at the tips of the villi, can no longer break down lactose, which is why many with celiac disease/NCGS are unable to have and digest dairy products.

Then there is the whole issue of cross contamination in a restaurant.  It is not as easy as asking the server if the item has gluten in it, trust me, I wish it was that easy!  If a gluten free item is prepared in the same area, with the same utensils, same pans as gluten items, cross contamination probability is very high.  Some restaurants in the US, have their staff go through preparation courses on how to prepare food safely for those with celiac disease/NCGS.

With the Today Show being based in New York, you have access to some of the best doctors regarding celiac disease/NCGS.  Dr. Peter Green at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University and Dr. Alessio Fasano in Boston.  The View has invited Dr. Green on their show. 

Currently 97% of those with celiac disease are undiagnosed.  No longer are the days when celiac disease means a patient is emaciated with diarrhea, but now they can also be constipated and obese.  Please use your leverage in the media to educate your viewers about celiac disease/NCGS, instead of Hoda using us as the target of her insensitive remarks. Thank you, and I look forward to seeing what NBC does to create tolerance for those with celiac disease and NCGS.

Excellent I'll go visit that page as well.

Ksee Rookie

I'm not taking up for anyone's ignorance so please don't take this wrong. There are people who take things to the extreme and without any understanding of nutrition or disease think gluten is another word for wheat processing in things like bread, cookies, cakes and so forth. 

These people put themselves on a "gluten free" diet because they believe it is natural and healthy without any symptoms or diagnosis. Gluten Free is a fad diet for some people. I'm not the only one to of run into this am I? These people don't do us any favors for increasing awareness or understanding.

Have you ever had a health professional look at you sideways when you said something about celiac or gluten intolerance? It's like they want to roll their eyes at you? I have had to explain that I wasn't into fad diets and if I were I would pick one that didn't require me to give up my pasta :)

I think this is the result, our disease is being minimized and reduced to the perception of overly picky squeamish people by the public. Hoda's ignorance is still ignorant but she's not the only one.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I know she's not the only one she just happens to be one that has a forum that our community might be able to reach and get a little education out there. We can hope anyway.

I totally know what you mean about the Dr looking at you sideways, I'm going with my mother tomorrow to try to talk her Dr into running the blood test. I suggested it before and was told there were more important issues and we would look into that later. Sigh

Lisa Mentor

The best think they could do on the Hoda and Kathy Lee Show is to have Joy Baurer on the show, from the Today Show.  As in the past, she truly knows her stuff and is knowledgable and very much aware of the current issues with Celiac Disease, diet and marketing.

I corresponded with her about a year or so ago on a segment she did....to follow up on the mess of a segment Dr. Snyderman did on Celiac.  She was responsive and wrote me a lovely reply in appreciation.

And on Hoda, well....Don't we all know a Hoda.  They don't want to date one, have one out to dinner, much less cook for one so picky.  And as someone already said, they don't want to invite us because they don't want to make us feel uncomfortable when we just don't "fit it in".  Well, those people are not my friends, and I can just as easily change the channel in the morning ...and I do.  As disappointed as I am, Hoda does not change the barometer in my life.  Nor should she yours. ;)

She expressed her opinion, and is entitled to that, just as we are here on this forum.  She's not a convert.  I would throw my efforts around to Joy Bauer, should you choose.  Joy will make a difference, in her proper way with her little bitty self.

....jmho

killernj13 Enthusiast

WOW - that was no apology IMO.

I stopped watching the Today Show for the way they fired Anne Curry and for Savanah Guthrie's insensitive comments about celiac disease over a year ago. She rolled her eyes and called celiac disease a trendy disease in a segment on gluten free diets.

cap6 Enthusiast

Hmmm....  I never watch those shows and guess I won't after reading all of this!  One day their ignorance will grab them by their >>>!!! :)

Archived