23 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

On the Today Show Hoda was laughing at Celiacs and Gluten Intolerant people. Did any of you see it? I have a link to a blog that shows the clip but I wasn't sure if it was cool to post it.

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=ueO0ttT33Qk

See if that works. I looked at it. I have seen them on that show a few times, but they really are hard to watch. They always have a glass of wine or some alcoholic beverage and act drunk sometimes.

I think this video is getting too much attention. Addy just posted a much better one on this thread.

http://www.celiac.co...52-for-adelaid/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

That is the clip, I personally don't have the App to open it but that is definitely the right clip. I used to like Hoda. :(

If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

As a professional journalist, I thought Hoda was good.  But, paired with Kathy Lee, the both are  just plain obnoxious!

I could not get the links to work for me, but I did see a half-hearted apology to the gluten free community, today.  And the genesis for her apology, was unclear to me.  But, it was apparent that she got some flack for a previous statement.  I do think she has some food issues as well.  She won't food test/taste on the show, or very little.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

As a professional journalist, I thought Hoda was good.  But, paired with Kathy Lee, the both are  just plain obnoxious!

I could not get the links to work for me, but I did see a half-hearted apology to the gluten free community, today.  And the genesis for her apology, was unclear to me.  But, it was apparent that she got some flack for a previous statement.  I do think she has some food issues as well.  She won't food test/taste on the show, or very little.

She said she wouldn't want to date a man that wanted to eat gluten-free at a restaurant. That wasn't a real man. Kathielee tried to say but what if it was medically necessary but Hoda said some thing like " well, just don't order something that would have gluten. Don't ask if something has gluten". I doubt she has any food sensitivities or she wouldn't be like that. It's not much different than asking if it has garlic in it.

Where was this " apology"?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Wow....here is one!

http://glutendude.co...-a-picky-eater/

Guess we better just stay at home. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking we need an e-mail blitz to offer correct information.

Lisa

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

She said she wouldn't want to date a man that wanted to eat gluten-free at a restaurant. That wasn't a real man. Kathielee tried to say but what if it was medically necessary but Hoda said some thing like " well, just don't order something that would have gluten. Don't ask if something has gluten". I doubt she has any food sensitivities or she wouldn't be like that. It's not much different than asking if it has garlic in it.

Where was this " apology"?

Guess she thinks that a date ordering something guten free in a restaurant is not "manly".  Guess she should lower her standards to "normal" .  Guess CNN is a better choice in the morning.

Her apology consisted  of "I did not mean to offend anyone"  and threw up her hands and laughed it off.

Lisa

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

What she offered was not an apology. There has been blitzing going on, and not just the email kind where it is private. That is silly and pointless. The blitzing needs to be done where it publicly calls them out, and that is what has been happening.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

That was her apology? Boo hiss!

Guess she thinks that a date ordering something guten free in a restaurant is not "manly".  Guess she should lower her standards to "normal" .  Guess CNN is a better choice in the morning.

Her apology consisted  of "I did not mean to offend anyone"  and threw up her hands and laughed it off.

That was what her fans are calling an apology????? Boooooooo

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

http://glutendude.co...free-community/

Here is a video of it. I think she calls us " The Gluten People" ?

santa-dance.gif

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Anyone remember the old make the high school girls carry around a ten pound bag of flour or sugar for a day to get the message across that teenage pregnancy aint as cute as it looks???

I propose all journalists that wish to discuss food allergies and or any "gluten people" :ph34r: issue MUST order and eat completely gluten free / nut free in every every restaurant they visit for one full month :D

Oh...anyone know if those little handy dandy gluten test stripes are available for them to purchase to prove each meal they eat contains no cross-contamination????

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

lolz - what sort of man does Single Lonely Can't Hold a Relationship hoda prefer?  WHO CARES.  who the crap is taking dating advice from this self-centered biatch, anyway?  blah, blah, whatever..............

that's my thoughts on hoda.

and i expect nbc to continue it's downhill spiral, especially since they are now owned by comcast <the biggest crooks/monopoly in the entertainment business.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Anyone remember the old make the high school girls carry around a ten pound bag of flour or sugar for a day to get the message across that teenage pregnancy aint as cute as it looks???

I propose all journalists that wish to discuss food allergies and or any "gluten people" :ph34r: issue MUST order and eat completely gluten free / nut free in every every restaurant they visit for one full month :D

Oh...anyone know if those little handy dandy gluten test stripes are available for them to purchase to prove each meal they eat contains no cross-contamination????

AND, if they DO eat anything containing gluten, they must drink an Ex-Lax milkshake every time!!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

I was banned from FB for 12 hours and the Kathy Lee and Hoda page has blocked me. I believe I was too nice and too vocal (catch more flies with honey was my approach). The explanation FB gave was that I "Violated Community Standards" I was sent to the page on community standards and there is nothing I can see that I violated. I think that the problem was I directly quoted by screen shot someone else who had posted on the same page. That was not private information so I don't see how that was a violation. I am very angry now. I just thought I was upset before. Anyone know who at NBC to write to about this? A petition site or anything?  

#15 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

wow  :o  pure ignorance, and so sad.  I've never cared for them.  it's supposed to be a news show, and it's like it's a girls night with magazines and wine.  you can send comments here to the Today Show http://www.today.com...y/#.Uatd72Q_9U8

I went to town on my response, and tried to not belittle them, but lay out the info.  enjoy  :P

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" is what came to mind after watching Hoda and Kathie Lee discuss what they think of men who have to eat gluten-free.  For many who have to follow the gluten-free diet, it is not a choice, but a medical necessity, myself included.  Instead of dissecting the segment and pointing out everything wrong with Hoda and Kathie Lee's comments, I choose to educate.  As an elementary teacher, it's in my nature.

First, there is such thing as a wheat allergy, but that is completely different than celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, moving forward these will be referred to as celiac disease and NCGS.  A wheat allergy is an anaphylaxis reaction.  It is possible to have both a wheat allergy and celiac disease/NCGS, but they are completely different entities.  An anaphylaxis reaction is immediate, and may involve swelling of the throat.  celiac disease/NCGS have reactions that can begin anywhere from 30 minutes to several days after eating gluten.  Every time a person with celiac disease/NCGS eats gluten it triggers a reaction.  For individuals with celiac disease, it means antibodies being produced against gluten.

With antibody production, over time celiac disease can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies since gluten damages the villi of the small intestines.  Villi are small, finger-like projections that line the small intestines and are essential to absorbing nutrients.  When these begin to be damaged, the body is not able to get nutrients from food, and the only way to stop this damage is to remove ALL gluten from a patient's diet.  In addition, when these villi tips are blunted and damaged, the enzyme lactase, which is produced at the tips of the villi, can no longer break down lactose, which is why many with celiac disease/NCGS are unable to have and digest dairy products.

Then there is the whole issue of cross contamination in a restaurant.  It is not as easy as asking the server if the item has gluten in it, trust me, I wish it was that easy!  If a gluten free item is prepared in the same area, with the same utensils, same pans as gluten items, cross contamination probability is very high.  Some restaurants in the US, have their staff go through preparation courses on how to prepare food safely for those with celiac disease/NCGS.

With the Today Show being based in New York, you have access to some of the best doctors regarding celiac disease/NCGS.  Dr. Peter Green at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University and Dr. Alessio Fasano in Boston.  The View has invited Dr. Green on their show. 

Currently 97% of those with celiac disease are undiagnosed.  No longer are the days when celiac disease means a patient is emaciated with diarrhea, but now they can also be constipated and obese.  Please use your leverage in the media to educate your viewers about celiac disease/NCGS, instead of Hoda using us as the target of her insensitive remarks. Thank you, and I look forward to seeing what NBC does to create tolerance for those with celiac disease and NCGS.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, but my fat malabsoption, EPI and Vitamin K deficiency have finally cleared themselves up do to the help from Creon!

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: