14 replies to this topic

#1 Laban

Laban

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

In australia they sell these oats as " gloriously uncontaminated oats " their website states the oats are gluten free .I am a celiac,I tried these oats and got sick for 10 days losing 4.5 kilos,I contacted these guys and here is a copy of the letter they sent me..I personally don't think 1 in 20 is an exceptable risk!!!!also this should be on the packaging!!!
"We are aware from studies conducted in the US that 1 in 20 coeliacs had a reaction to the Oats, which is similar to what you experienced. As it was such a small number the States and other countries have chosen to legislate that they be labelled "Gluten Free", however we are unable to make any claims of this nature in Australia which is why we label the oats, Uncontaminated."Sadly I guess you fall into the 1 in 20."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Your reaction isn't the company's fault. It is well known that a small percentage of Celiacs react to oats, even the gluten free ones.

Gluten free, or un contaminated as is required labelling in your country , means that there is no accidental wheat in the oats. Common, non- gluten-free or un contaminated oats might have wheat in them due to growing & harvesting practices.

Each person with Celiac must decide for themselves if they want to try oats. I think your assertion that it is 20% may be a bit high.

http://www.curecelia...-contain-gluten
"Do oats contain gluten?
A large body of scientific evidence accumulated over more than 15 years has proven that oats are completely safe for the vast majority of celiac patients. Oats are not related to gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley and rye. They don’t contain gluten, but rather proteins called avenins that are non-toxic and tolerated by most celiacs (perhaps less than 1% of celiac patients show a reaction to a large amount of oats in their diets).
Oats can be in a celiac’s diet provided they are selected from sources that guarantee a lack of contamination by wheat, rye or barley.
Some who add oats to their diet may experience GI symptoms. This may actually be a result of the increased fiber that oats provide instead of a reaction to the oats themselves."

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

http://www.csaceliac...ide_to_oats.jsp

This one recommends limiting the amount of gluten-free oats eaten by a Celiac. Neither say 1 in 20 will react.

Please be careful making sweeping claims like this which are not backed up by facts.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 Laban

Laban

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Your reaction isn't the company's fault. It is well known that a small percentage of Celiacs react to oats, even the gluten free ones.
Gluten free, or un contaminated as is required labelling in your country , means that there is no accidental wheat in the oats. Common, non- gluten-free or un contaminated oats might have wheat in them due to growing & harvesting practices.
Each person with Celiac must decide for themselves if they want to try oats. I think your assertion that it is 20% may be a bit high.
http://www.curecelia...-contain-gluten
"Do oats contain gluten?
A large body of scientific evidence accumulated over more than 15 years has proven that oats are completely safe for the vast majority of celiac patients. Oats are not related to gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley and rye. They don’t contain gluten, but rather proteins called avenins that are non-toxic and tolerated by most celiacs (perhaps less than 1% of celiac patients show a reaction to a large amount of oats in their diets).
Oats can be in a celiac’s diet provided they are selected from sources that guarantee a lack of contamination by wheat, rye or barley.
Some who add oats to their diet may experience GI symptoms. This may actually be a result of the increased fiber that oats provide instead of a reaction to the oats themselves."

Sorry but I did not know of this "well known fact about oats" I have not long been diagnosed and trusted this company !

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Some people with celiac disease react to oats, even if they are free of cross contamination. The protein in oats is somewhat similar to that in the other grains that trigger the celiac disease reaction. I tolerate pure oats, but would not consider a commercial product with oats as an ingredient.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

The oats are gluten free. Like I said before, its not the companies fault if you react to oats. It is common for people with Celiacs to have other food intolerances. Some even go away after you have healed.

dancing-turkey.gif

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I can't find the study which gives the 5% figure, which I have heard before.  Here is discussion of one that showed villous atrophy, so I don't think that is considered a food intolerance, but a celiac disease complication.  http://www.celiac.co...iacs/Page1.html

Some of us shouldn't eat oats, myself included.  The company who made the oats I tried did include a warning and I tried them anyway and a whole half cup too.  I was also sick for a long time afterwards.  It was my fault.  This condition requires a lot of education and I had to learn a lot of it the hard way.

People who try gluten free oats for the first time, please learn from my mistake and only try a little at first.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Two of us in my family can't eat gluten-free Oats right now -- hope to get them back one day soon.

Four of us can.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have no issue with gluten-free oats at all and am glad of that as I love them. My gut was totally trashed at diagnosis and I wasn't absorbing anything but I can eat oats now

so there is hope for many others.

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Oats don't like me anymore.  I think it was the CSA that sponsored a research project on oat reactions in celiacs a few years back.  Pretty sure their result was something like 10% of celiacs that react to oats.  But the was just one study, so maybe things have changed.  We have gluten-free oats marketed in the USA also Laban.  Bob's Red Mill sells them.  They make me sick and some other celiacs too.  If you are not one of the people who react to them they are fine.  But it may be better to wait 6 months to a year (until you are healed up some) before trying them again.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

It isn't super well known, unless you are on a forum like this, but yes - I've seen in the scientific literature numbers between 5% and 10% of celiacs will react to avenin (the oat protein) because it is structurally similiar to gliadin (the wheat protein in play for celiac).  Other celiacs can eat them just fine.  It has nothing to do with the company in particular.

OP, I'm sorry that you got bitten by this and didn't know about this fact.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm another with issues with oats. Not fun :(

#13 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

I'm glad I read this thread, I've been wanting oats, I used to eat them a lot but haven't tried them since going gluten-free. I'm only two months in and have pretty much given up everything except fruits and veggies, seems like everything else makes me sick! I hate the blindsided feeling, thinking I've been so safe and careful then feel sick and spend days trying to pin point what it is. I was going to try oats, I bought Bobs Red Mill the first week but haven't tried them yet. I knew that serval ppl on here had oat issues, and I just don't want to get sick! To me it's worth only eating fruits veggies just to never feel like that again!!! Guess I need to get over it, maybe just try a couple bites. I don't like having such a limited diet :-/

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm glad I read this thread, I've been wanting oats, I used to eat them a lot but haven't tried them since going gluten-free. I'm only two months in and have pretty much given up everything except fruits and veggies, seems like everything else makes me sick! I hate the blindsided feeling, thinking I've been so safe and careful then feel sick and spend days trying to pin point what it is. I was going to try oats, I bought Bobs Red Mill the first week but haven't tried them yet. I knew that serval ppl on here had oat issues, and I just don't want to get sick! To me it's worth only eating fruits veggies just to never feel like that again!!! Guess I need to get over it, maybe just try a couple bites. I don't like having such a limited diet :-/

I would give the BRM gluten-free Oats a try -- perhaps late in the day the first time!

Fruits and vegies aren't enough to live off long term -- Are you getting enough protein and good fats -- meat, fish eggs, legumes or nuts?

I get the everything giving you a reaction deal...hang in there... you will find more foods you can eat.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#15 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I would give the BRM gluten-free Oats a try -- perhaps late in the day the first time!

Fruits and vegies aren't enough to live off long term -- Are you getting enough protein and good fats -- meat, fish eggs, legumes or nuts?

I get the everything giving you a reaction deal...hang in there... you will find more foods you can eat.

I don't eat meat or eggs. I do eat lots of beans, kale, avocados, nuts and seeds.

Vegetarian, Gluten Free diet since 03/2013, sensitivity to raw onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: