Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Plain Gluten Free Bread Bought-What To Do With It?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 aiyabrown

aiyabrown

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hi there, i have bought this flour that is made with rice and potato starch, it has no xanthan gum or anything else added to it. I have read online that to make a successful loaf you need to add other ingredients. I don't necessarily want to make bread from this bread as I shall go and get a flour that is already mixed and ready, however i would like to make something from it without having to buy all these other ingredients! has anyone any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Just to clarify for people -

Are you asking about a already made bread like the title says? Or you asking about a flour mix you have purchased?

With any flour, wheat or otherwise, you would need something to make it rise like yeast or baking soda. Depending on what you are making, you might not need Xantham gum. You could probably make cookies or pancakes with a plain flour mix .

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

You could also make brownies with it.  White rice flour is used for tempura and is decent for lightly breading things before baking/frying (with Parmesan, herbs and spices for chicken, for example).  You can also use it for a roux or bechamel sauce or to thicken other sauces.

Karen is right - for most baking you would definitely need a higher-protein flour for cookies, muffins, cakes, etc. in addition to the white rice flour.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: