Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

"well We Could Go.... Oh Wait You Can't Eat Anything"

10 posts in this topic

I'm currently studying abroad in Vienna and as much as the grocery stores have, I really wish I could just eat the street food and try the local cuisine. It seems to not even be an option here. The one person at my study abroad center who lives here and is gluten-intolerant just pretty much said "don't eat out." I have my "celiac travel" cards but they don't explain CC, which definitely happened last weekend. Luckily I have a minor reaction to CC so I wasn't bed ridden like if i had eaten one of those beautiful fresh out of the oven rolls that were on the table. But I'm hanging out with a group of college students who don't want to spend all their shopping money on food, so everyone usually goes to a street stand or small shop for food before we go see shows, concerts, etc. And then I take out my sad little sandwich on Schaer bread. I haven't really had time to cook because we're out late every night after classes experiencing the culture and all that Vienna has to offer and now I have time to cook but since it's Corpus Christi day, the entire city, except for bakeries and some cafes and McDonald's, is closed. I'm not eating enough and it's been cold so I just want a hot meal and yes I'm complaining but I'm so lost and hungry. Last night, by the time we found a non-asthma-inducing bar and got drinks, it had been almost 12 hours from when I ate last, because I'm too scared to order anything at restaurants and all I had brought was a sandwich for lunch before 3 hours of class, 2 hours of standing in line for ballet tickets and 3 hours of standing at the ballet. This is a normal day for me in Vienna, but not at home. I'm so new to this that I'm just sitting here thinking, "Why the hell did I think this was a good idea?"

Ads by Google:

I'm sorry, I know what you are going through.

I don't give a flip about what I eat/don't eat, but my FREEDOM. Ugh.

All I can say is to pack more food - buy a light backpack or something. Eventually, if you look around enough you'll find places you can get safe food on the run...grocery stores, cafes, etc.

Is there any sort of Celiac group there?

You've got to eat more, or you'll get sick. Even if you slow down a bit, or just for a day. Take a strategic approach - write down grocery stores, etc. by area or venue or by hours. Keep a list, and keep it with you. Even if you find one place where you can get a safe meal, or communicate with the staff - it will be better.

I know it's hard. I spent an hour yesterday looking for restaurants in Phoenix - and that's only 2 hours away...it's annoying, and frightening and I wish it was easier.

I found this by googling:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k4860373-Gluten_free_restaurants_in_Vienna-Vienna.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d2516528-Reviews-or8-Pizzeria_Scarabocchio-Vienna.html

http://www.glutenfreemrsd.com/2012/04/gluten-free-vienna-schnitzel.html

I agree with PricklyPear -- you need to carry more food.  Almonds, Fruit, Pretzels, Protein Bars and other gluten-free Snacks -- when you pick up bread stock up on more snack sized items and don't leave the house without them...my backpack is small but always has at least 2-3 items - even when I am just running a short errand -- you never know when you'll need a boost!

What a great experience to be abroad!

I agree with the others.  You just need to be better prepared.  Even while at home, I pack a little cooler stashed with "emergency FG foods".  Fresh fruit and veggies (hence the ice chest), but in my purse I keep walnuts/raisins (I can eat those), fruit leathers, etc.  

Vienna is an amazing place - but I can imagine it's really difficult for a celiac there.  I'm sorry the food issues are getting you down! 

I don't know how good your German is or how long you'll be in Vienna, but the Austrian celiac site has an upcoming meetup in Vienna scheluled in a few weeks. I pasted the details for you below. 

Wien

Pizzaessen
Termin: Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013, 18 Uhr Ort: Pizzaria Scaraboccio
Wien 8, Florianigasse 3 

pfeil_vor.gifweitere Details zur Veranstaltung

maybe you can find one good restaurant and order a bunch of similar food as the street food.  i do it when i go to a carnival, for example, i bring a couple of slices of gluten-free pizza with me so when everybody else is eating their (cheesesteak, sausage sandwiches and pizza, etc) i can eat mine, too.  lolz i'm surprised i haven't got food poisoning from carrying around food at non-ideal temps   :rolleyes:

otherwise, i feel ya - everybody else is having delicious _________, and all i got is this crappy ham sandwich - oh, well, at least you're eating it in vienna!  and, yes, overpack snackies for those times you are stuck.  i have a little insulated backpack that is my constant companion.  wallet, watch, spectacles, ........  backpack  :)  

Vienna is an amazing place - but I can imagine it's really difficult for a celiac there. I'm sorry the food issues are getting you down!

I don't know how good your German is or how long you'll be in Vienna, but the Austrian celiac site has an upcoming meetup in Vienna scheluled in a few weeks. I pasted the details for you below. Wien

Pizzaessen

Termin: Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013, 18 Uhr Ort: Pizzaria Scaraboccio

Wien 8, Florianigasse 3

pfeil_vor.gifweitere Details zur Veranstaltung

That's the pizza restaurant I linked to (or the review...)!!

Snacks! Lots of em. As others have already said.

Also, when you do have chance to cook, make extra of whatever so you can warm it up on the fly, maybe something that will keep in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it.

I'm sure once you've been there for a while longer, you'll learn what's safe and what's not and it'll get easier. You might also have to balance the cultural experience and taking care of yourself. If you get to the point where you haven't eaten in hours, it might be time to say, sorry, I gotta go home and eat something. Better safe than sorry.

But enjoy Vienna!

Snack.  All.  Day.  

I feel you on the hot meal thing though.  On certain days when I'm out in rural areas my lunch is whatever I can come up with at an Exxon station and let me tell you...  Its not a hot meal!  Hang in there!

Snacks, yes and yes again. Crackers, and peanuts bars, etc. Imperitve is to find a place selling gluten-free stuff and buying some to carry around. You absolutely HAVE to eat more and the safest way is to find some time to stock food so that you'll have enough for a few days at a time.

Cooking:: I have survived abroad getting Uncle Ben's 10 minutes rice. It takes literally 10 minutes to cook and fills you up. When you're home.

Advice when you're in the streets.

Fruit: buy bananas and apples from fruit stands - there should be plenty or at least some in Vienna too.

Roast chicken: if you can find what we call in Italy a "rosticceria", a place where they sell roasted and fried stuff, you won't be able to eat 95% of the stuff there, but a drumstick can save your life.

Cheese. If you can have it. However, I've been saved several times by seasoned Parmesan cheese. When over 24 months old it is safe (it does not contain lactose any more, don't ask me why but it works). Find a good cheese shop in Vienna and try to get some. With apples or pears it makes a wonderful snack - not Viennese, of course, but really good.

Learn to make your snacks inventive rather than go for the sad little Schar sandwich. Frankly, I eat gluten-free bread when I make it myself or when I defrost my own homemade. Commercial gluten-free bread is just a bit worse than commercial non gluten-free bread, which is not very good anyway... Bread is a thing made to be eaten fresh.

Finally, find some gluten-free options for restaurants and bring your friends there. If they want to go somewhere else (it happened to me too) go for red meat, grilled or roasted, and roast potatoes (NOT fried).  At least it will fill you up. AND it's typycally Viennese!

http://www.glutenfreemrsd.com/2012/04/gluten-free-vienna-schnitzel.html