This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are You Bipolar?

skbird

Are you or anyone in your family also bipolar?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

melisadki Explorer

Stephanie I have been on alot of mood stabilizers and the one I really liked and tolerated well was trileptal...its kinda new to things but it is made from tegretol but there are no weight gain effects and the sedation is quit minimal.

I am not on meds at the moment because I am trying to get pregnant but if I had to be I would choose trileptal again.

Depakote~made my D worse and sedation, weight gain

Neurontin~major sedation, weight gain

Lithium~All around I could not tolerate this one!

Zyprexa~Huge weight gain, huge sedation

Trileptal~a few headaches at start

Hopefully once I get going on this diet I wont need meds anymore......maybe a dream but I sure hope so. :rolleyes:

I have been taking Ativan for the past two weeks and it has helped at times and then I have also been feeling more anxiety and irritation than usual. I don't know if this is from the ativan or just all the stress in my life at the moment.

Ativan can have daily withdrawals I was on this for awhile and soon figured I was getting w/d daily from the med. Terrible to get off too!

I know how frustrating it can be ... IMO Bipolar is from alot of different things such as nutrient imbalance...malabsorption...sugar problems....and of course hormonal...and stress. I guess tackling the whole body approach is a start with a good diet..excercise...relaxation techniques...etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

Interesting about Ativan - that makes sense. I was on it for two one-year courses before and went through withdrawl both times, not fun. Recently was given Xanax XR which is supposed to last 24 hours and avoid the withdrawl effect. Problem was that xanax is SO addictive. I would take it for three days, in pill a day, and the fourth be feeling agitated without it. I am scared of xanax for that reason.

Having lived through ativan I am not as stressed about it, though I hope I'm not in for a long course. Now an extended release ativan would be useful.

I looked at trileptal and saw that sometimes it causes hypoglycemia which concerned me. I already have problems with that, so it's not big on my list. Anyway, thanks for the info though. I am honestly terrifed (dumb) of gaining weight again. That was horrible, and all the side effects. Also just interviewed for a new job today, grant proposal writer, and am worried about any thinking processes that might be affected by taking a mood-stabilizer. Well, hopefully I'm worrying a lot about nothing.

Take care

Stephanie

tarnalberry Community Regular

There wasn't an option to choose for my answer, but I have second degree (or third) relatives with bi-polar. They haven't investigated celiac, and I'm not terribly close to them, so I've mentioned I've had it, and it's genetic, so they should be aware, but I'm not going to push the issue.

melisadki Explorer
I looked at trileptal and saw that sometimes it causes hypoglycemia which concerned me. I already have problems with that, so it's not big on my list. Anyway, thanks for the info though. I am honestly terrifed (dumb) of gaining weight again. That was horrible, and all the side effects. Also just interviewed for a new job today, grant proposal writer, and am worried about any thinking processes that might be affected by taking a mood-stabilizer. Well, hopefully I'm worrying a lot about nothing.

I didnt know that about trileptal about the hypogylecemia..hmm...I do know it cause a folic acid deficiency and can intereact with birth control. As far a thought processes this was the least harsh one IMO at least for me because I am so sensitive to meds and the sedation I get from them... :rolleyes:

Good luck on your new job. :)

Alot of people on depression forums like lamictal too. I have never taken that one though I heard it can cause a rash if you are allergic.

skbird Contributor

I don't usually get depressed, at least not in the past few years, but the last two weeks I've had hypodepressions where I am suddenly deeply depressed for an hour or few. Sort of like when I am glutened, but I have not been. I think for the most part I am pretty much ok, just the IBS part of the whole thing is really getting to me.

Since I made a lot of food changes I have felt my moods level out considerably, to the point where I feel really calm most of the time. I don't know if that means they were food-related to being with or bipolar. But things have definitely cropped back up for me, and that is a challenge for me right now - because I am in it and also still outside of it, if you know what I mean. Back at my worst I was totally in it, the depression and manias (mostly hypomanias) with basically no ability to see how I would ever get out of it.

Now I'm still "ok" an scared that I will slip away into "not ok"... I think that is also where the fear of gaining weight comes from - means I have lost control of my otherwise calm life.

And about the job - I just got the call, I got it! Woo-hoo! Well, that should help me feel good about things. I am giving it a trial day tomorrow to see if I like it, then going back to my other job and giving my two weeks notice. I'm happy but will be even more relieved tomorrow, after the trial day is done.

Stephanie

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi, All,

Sorry to be a while in tagging on again -

About meds - SSRI's in particular - and whether or not they are necessary for some:

The answer seems, to me, to be a VERY obvious "Yes." - as some people must have them to remain 'able' - because Science has not found all of the answers yet.

The reasons I feel the answer is "YES" :

Researchers still need to do a lot of research to find ALL causes of neurotransmitter imbalance, the same way that researchers need to find all causes of other disorders, including Celiac Disease.

In the meantime, though, it is foolish to think that the imbalances/disorders should not be treated with medicines that have been proven to bring relief to those suffering.

Yes, SSRIs are not perfect - they, like all drugs, have potential side effects.

And, those potential side effects must always be communicated to patients (or their guardians, as the case must be) before prescribing.

SSRI's are without a doubt necessary as an option in the arsenal of treatments against depression. Millions take them precisely because they work.

One example of an SSRI:

Millions take Paxil because it not only treats depression, but it is highly successful in treating social anxiety. My ex-husband's social anxiety was completely eliminated with Paxil.

Now, one could say...what about psychotherapy? Why don't those with social anxiety just get therapy?

Well...some people will not go through the process to truly find the root of their issues (my ex-husband being one of those people), AND still others have suffered so much stress in their lives that it could quite possibly take them decades to sort through it all...obvisouly, in such cases, medicinal treatment is necessary.

Other people simply want relief ASAP, to get on with life, WHILE they go through the psychotherapeutic process.

What I am trying to say here is that...

Life and it's effects on neurotransmitters is not 'a simple' puzzle...NOT black and white.

Yes, some causes of depression have been isolated - but one cannot go back and take away causes such as the past - or genes that created neurotransmitter imbalances ...in such cases, treating the neuortransmitter imbalance with medicine is the only option...treating the cause is impossible at that point...

I do hope that those of you currently promoting the belief that SSRIs are 'bad' will find it in your rational brain to see that such a stance is not only foolish, but "wrong" - you may keep someone from finding relief for their misery...you may even indirectly cause more misery...if you continue to spout that kind of 'nonsense'...

This is not to say that SSRIs, like all drugs, should NOT be used prudently - they should.

And, they also should be reduced in dosage, or even eliminated from a treatment plan, IF POSSIBLE...IFand WHEN the patient's situation changes, such that the body's own ability to balance it's neurotransmitters on it's own returns - that, of course, unfortunately NEVER happens for some, and so they must remain on SSRIs to be well, and to live happy and healthy lives.

Just as some diabetics must use insulin, etc...

There is NO shame in using SSRI's.

Now, for my own experiences:

I, personally, take 12.5 mg Paxil SR (slow release) daily for two reasons:

1) I take 20 mg. Ritalin LA (long-acting) daily, and the Paxil eliminates the side effects of the Ritalin, for me.

2) And, it also helps me not feel deeply sad, ever - something I would feel before using an SSRI - No, I myself do not 'have' bi-polar disease - my older sis does - but, having come from a family 'genetically-loaded' for depression, I accept that my brain is not perfect, just like any other part of my body...and so, it benefits from the 'help' -

I am very grateful for these medicines.

They are the only ones I feel I 'need' in order to live my life to the best of it's potential...

As Dr. Phil likes to say...we are all our own Life Managers...

I feel I am doing a great job...and part of that job is accepting that my brain IS physical...and that sometimes...SOMETIMES...not matter what we do, there will be a need for some medicine to help balance neurotransmitters...

In my case, I am going to take Paxil and Ritalin for the rest of my life.

Having gone gluten-free helped me to lower the Paxil from 25mg to 12.5...

But, I have just learned, from my GYN, that 25 mg of Paxil may take away my night sweats, which came on after lowering the Paxil. She told me that 12.5 mg is not considered to be a therapeutic dose, and that 25mg Paxil has been proven to help some women 'my age' eliminate night sweats!

AND SO...I am now seriously considering upping the Paxil to 25 mg, once more.

I also have a 15-year-old niece who takes an SSRI - in her case, the only time she has felt suicidal is when she went off of the med. Infact, resewarch has shown that more untreated kids with depression are suicidal than those on SSRIs...

As you can see, I hope, no one patient is like another...

Treating depression, and ADD, bi-polar, etc...treating ANY 'mental illness' is not simple...NOT BLACK OR WHITE...

If an SSRI helps one person, there is no guarantee is will help another...if it hamrs one, there is no reason to say it WILL harm another...one's doc must be vigilant with ANY med...and remove it if it causes harm.

I am truly sad about the member who's daughter was suicidal while on an SSRI...

in that case, an SSRI is NOT the med of choice for her, if any med is...

BUT, I hope that she will see that it is not correct logic to conclude that SSRIs are evil, in general, because her daughter didn't benefit...

OK...that's my 2 bucks and 22 cents worth...

Thanks for listening.

Respectfully submitted,

Gina (Faith In Science, Too)

Master of Science, General Psychology

(Emphasis was on on research design and methodology, but I did study Psychopathology and the use of psychotropic meds, also)

skbird Contributor

Good post, Gina. I am not opposed to SSRI's, I just can't take them. For me Paxil induced far more anxiety than I already had. But I am trying to reconcile that not everything in my case may be solved by diet alone. I don't like that idea, but it may be the truth. So it is good to read people presenting both sides of the argument here.

Take care and congratulations, by the way, again!

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melisadki Explorer

I dont particulary like SSRI's but I have to take them when the depression kicks in. The start up effects I believe alot of times are what causes some people not to tolerate them as for me they are quit agitating at first and I get worse before I get better sort of thing.

I found I did better on wellbutrin until I started having a fast heart rate and blood presure which is really a bummer since this was my favorite med.

Stephanie congrats on the job! :)

Has anyone on here that has bipolar been able to get compeletely off meds once totally gluten-free? Just curious? I really dont like taking meds at all.. <_<

• 10 months later...
clix Newbie
I'm just curious. I know I've mentioned here before that I was dx'd bipolar 2 about 10 years ago and that since I found out about food intolerances I seem to no longer fit this criteria. But I went to my GP today to discuss my scopes results and other issues (mainly many tests and labs that all indicate I am fine but the reality of ongoing pain and digestive problems) and he suggested the dreaded SSRI's. I said no way, not only do they make me manic, but they remove my sex drive which is not ok with me. Then he asked what else makes me manic and I said nearly every med, minus tranquilizers and narcotic pain pills. So he wants to further investigate the possibility I really am bipolar, or at least a little bipolar, and that this can translate into heightened pain sensitivity.

As much as I hate to go back on the bipolar merry-go-round, it does seem to make some sense that there would be some connection there. I have noticed a lot of gluten intolerant people mention they are bipolar. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie and all. This is an old thread but I am interested in this as I am bipolar.

I was dignosed with malabsorbsion syndrome and was injecting vitamins for 2 yrs till diagnosed with celiac while hospitalised psychotic and off the planet! Within three days of the glutenfree diet starting I began to recover despite diagnosis of "Chronic schizophrenia". I had 8 yrs free of psychiatric symptoms, then post partum psychosis after birth of my 2nd child. I have been on the glutenfree diet for 32 yrs! As I got older I had several hospitalisations and was finally diagnosed bipolar. I am taking 10mg per day Olanzapine and 4mg a day Reboxatine.

I have just started to take Omega 3 fish oil (6 capsules a day). I understand some celiacs are low in essential fatty acids and I have persistant dry scaley skin. Research since 2001 on Omega 3's for bipolar is promising and its seems the mechanism is it feeds the brain what it needs for the neurotransmitters to funcion properly rather than affecting the neurotransmitters directly like the SSRI's do. The results indicate Omega 3 may be an alternative to lithium or valporate.

I am sure the glutenfree diet has made my mental illness less severe, and am excited at the potential with fish oil Omega3. The brain gut connection is real and facinating. I hope this information is useful to some one, and it seems there is an alternative to taking medication. I am doing both for the time being.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Hi Stephanie and all. This is an old thread but I am interested in this as I am bipolar.

I was dignosed with malabsorbsion syndrome and was injecting vitamins for 2 yrs till diagnosed with celiac while hospitalised psychotic and off the planet! Within three days of the glutenfree diet starting I began to recover despite diagnosis of "Chronic schizophrenia". I had 8 yrs free of psychiatric symptoms, then post partum psychosis after birth of my 2nd child. I have been on the glutenfree diet for 32 yrs! As I got older I had several hospitalisations and was finally diagnosed bipolar. I am taking 10mg per day Olanzapine and 4mg a day Reboxatine.

I have just started to take Omega 3 fish oil (6 capsules a day). I understand some celiacs are low in essential fatty acids and I have persistant dry scaley skin. Research since 2001 on Omega 3's for bipolar is promising and its seems the mechanism is it feeds the brain what it needs for the neurotransmitters to funcion properly rather than affecting the neurotransmitters directly like the SSRI's do. The results indicate Omega 3 may be an alternative to lithium or valporate.

I am sure the glutenfree diet has made my mental illness less severe, and am excited at the potential with fish oil Omega3. The brain gut connection is real and facinating. I hope this information is useful to some one, and it seems there is an alternative to taking medication. I am doing both for the time being.

I have yet to be diagnosed but believe that I am bibolar. I have only been diagnosed with depression. My docs want me to go on meds but I don't like them....it's good to know that maybe there might be an alternative. I also hope that going gluten free will help. This whole bipoler thing is driving me nuts.

clix Newbie
I have yet to be diagnosed but believe that I am bibolar. I have only been diagnosed with depression. My docs want me to go on meds but I don't like them....it's good to know that maybe there might be an alternative. I also hope that going gluten free will help. This whole bipoler thing is driving me nuts.

Hi Hannahsue,

The black dog institute in Sydney Australia is currently conducting trials of Omega 3 oils for major depression.

The original study with bipolar was done by Dr Andrew Stoll who is connected with a company called OmegaBrite. They market an Omega3 oil high in EHA

The fish oil here over the counter with 180mg eicosapantoic acid (EHA) and 120 DHA mean you would have to take 12 caps a day to get 2g EHA (this was the dose in the trials)

They don't really know what the required dose is yet. I am taking 1g EHA a day (6caps of burpless oil) It is supposed to take at least three weeks before you notice results and can take longer

I am certain that if not for the gluten free diet I would be locked in a back ward of an institution somewhere instead of being a graduate in psychology and managing to live well in the community. Stick to the diet.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Hi Hannahsue,

The black dog institute in Sydney Australia is currently conducting trials of Omega 3 oils for major depression.

The original study with bipolar was done by Dr Andrew Stoll who is connected with a company called OmegaBrite. They market an Omega3 oil high in EHA

The fish oil here over the counter with 180mg eicosapantoic acid (EHA) and 120 DHA mean you would have to take 12 caps a day to get 2g EHA (this was the dose in the trials)

They don't really know what the required dose is yet. I am taking 1g EHA a day (6caps of burpless oil) It is supposed to take at least three weeks before you notice results and can take longer

I am certain that if not for the gluten free diet I would be locked in a back ward of an institution somewhere instead of being a graduate in psychology and managing to live well in the community. Stick to the diet.

Thanks for the info.

Guest Robbin

Anyone who reads this thread should be EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR MEDS WITHOUT TALKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

My dh is bipolar with psychotic episodes when his medicine is changed in any way. He has many family members with mental illnesses and three family suicides, including his mother. It is a serious, serious illness. He has been eating low gluten (almost completely gluten free) for about 6 months and I noticed his sleeping is better, but his meds have not been changed at all and I don't want them to be. He functions well and obviously needs the medications. I have no doubts that celiac disease can be a cause of mental illnesses, but if it goes undiagnosed, wouldn't it make sense that perhaps the damage has been done and the meds are life-long--just as in diabetes and insulin? Most seratonin production is in the intestines-little known fact that I just read-so it makes sense that the link is there. Many of us have neuro and physical problems that are the result of nutrient deprivation-mental illness is no exception-your brain is a body part too. Please, please be cautious and talk to your doctors about this before stopping any meds.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Anyone who reads this thread should be EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR MEDS WITHOUT TALKING WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

Please, please be cautious and talk to your doctors about this before stopping any meds.

Absolutely right. Even if it turns out that you really don't need meds, you want to wean off of them in a very controlled way with your doctor's knowledge. Meds like these cannot be played around with in the way that people in our country play around with over-the-counter meds (which are bad enough)!

I was wondering how many people who NEVER drink caffeine are diagnosed as bipolar, or even how many bipolar people noticed that their initial onset of symptoms coincided with their starting to drink caffeine? Maybe I'm totally off on this one, but I can't help wondering if there's a link there...

Archived