12 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

So I wake up in the middle of the night with horrendous leg cramps! How long does it take for these to go away after going Gluten free? I can barely get up and stand when these come on! Talk pain!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

You are assuming they are related to eating gluten. Might not be. Here are some common causes of nighttime leg cramps:

http://www.webmd.com...-topic-overview

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I had leg cramps related to a nerve injury from a few years previous to my diagnosis. they stopped after about 2 months gluten-free. Before that I was taking a homeopathic remedy, cuprum metallicum (sp?), that lessened the intensity and frequency.

I hope going gluten-free takes care of the problem for you. I know how maddening cramps can be. I remember waking up and beating on my leg trying to get it to relax, not knowing whether to laugh or cry... maddening.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I had some leg cramping going on.  On a scale of 1-10 it was probably at most a 4.  Enough to notice but not enough to stop me in my tracks.  Stay hydrated with water and make sure your potassium intake is adequate.  If you're a kidney or heart patient, be sure to talk to your doc about your potassium before making major changes to your diet.

Remember, as a celiac, we need plenty of water!

Diagnosis 11/2012

#5 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

Potassium deficiency is what I had when I had leg cramps. Started a potassium supplement. My Godmother got them for years and resently found it was due to artificial sweeteners and Aspartme in her flavored drinks....
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#6 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Magnesium deficiency can cause cramps as well, when we switched my eldest to calcium plus magnesium her cramps went

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I take potassium supplement, also I don't use Aspartame , or artificial sweetners. I am assuming from Gluten... Hoo humm ohh well something I gotta live with maby!! Man do they hurt!!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Most people do not realize that leg cramps can be a symptom of thyroid diseases ... Have you had your thyroid checked?

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#9 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

Yes I have had my thyroid checked! My Dr. Checked everything when I wanted to be checked for Celiac. I had horrendous cramps last night again! Maby they are lessening a bit? I don't know! But I have been walking maby that is causing?But I was getting them before I was walking.  on a scale of 1-10 It is like a 15. I can barely get up! I cannot straighten out my foot! For a few! Seems like forever when your woke up in the middle of the night with them! Then finally it starts to subside. I can still feel the spot where it was right now!! Whew!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#10 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

Yes I have had my thyroid checked! My Dr. Checked everything when I wanted to be checked for Celiac. I had horrendous cramps last night again! Maby they are lessening a bit? I don't know! But I have been walking maby that is causing?But I was getting them before I was walking.  on a scale of 1-10 It is like a 15. I can barely get up! I cannot straighten out my foot! For a few! Seems like forever when your woke up in the middle of the night with them! Then finally it starts to subside. I can still feel the spot where it was right now!! Whew!! 

I have to supplement Magnesium, and occ potassium....you need to be very careful with the potassium.  Are you taking a calcium supplement? Vitamin D?

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

If and when I use potassium supplements, my chiro keeps close tabs on my blood pressure.  It can go too low and be very dangerous.  I had some leg cramps for several nights during the transition to gluten free.  I don't know why.  Anyway, I usually try to flex my foot (very difficult)., but  that releases the muscle.  I got so that I could feel it coming on and flex before it tightened too much. I haven't had cramps for months now.  Hopefully, yours will pass soon too.

D

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Blood sugar problems can cause leg cramps also.

If you are concerned about low potassium you can try Morton Lite Salt.  It has potassium in it.

I used to get leg cramps but haven't had them in a few years.  I can't say I know why they stopped.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

OMG I think the cramps got worse!! ughhh! Calcium , Potassium, I am just gunna get over it ... live with it I guess! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: