Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Glutened Or Stress Over Funeral Tomorrow?

stress

• Please log in to reply

14 replies to this topic

#1 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi folks,

Is it possible to have glutened symptoms from intense stress? My dad's funeral is tomorrow and, along with overseeing my parents' healthcare, financial affairs, care, house, blah blah blah I planned the funeral too. I know that stress exasperates Celiac but to the point of having symptoms?

My mom's friends wanted a pizza a few nights ago and I complied (getting it for them but not eating it). That's the only thing I can relate to a possible glutening.

Can anyone shed light on stress and Celiac?
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

(hugs) I would guess it is stress. Stress tends to exacerbate chronic illness and play a number on people's systems in wierd ways. For example, I get "c", migraines and back pain when I am stressed.

Best wishes to you and your family. I hope the service tomorrow is comforting and brings back only the best of memories of your dad.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the hug. Yep on all of those. Foggy brain...
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Yes, stress can do that. :(

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

I agree, stress!  

Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of your father.  And take care of yourself!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi!  First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. 

Is it possible while under such stress and upset, that something has gotten passed your radar?  Sometimes, when we are not full concentrating when under a strain,, it is possible that something has got into your diet without you realising.  Of course though, it is possible to have similar symptoms to those experienced during contamination. 

Hope everything goes OK for the funeral. 

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#7 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am so sorry....

I noticed I had a very bad attack last week when I was super stressed about money (I know, it seems small in the scale of things, right?).

My conclusion was if you do get glutened when you're stressed, the symptoms can be WAY worse.

I hope you can find a few moments of peace during the rough time you're facing right now.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Even a non-celiac would probably have those symptoms if they had been under the incredible strain you have been, but yes, stress can bring on the symptoms. Just last week I had a very stressful day and my psoriasis (my strongetst symptom) flared badly. I noticed some digestive issues too.

Take some time for yourself when this is all over with. Don't make any decisions for a while either. No matter how "in control" we might think we are, after something like this, we can't really think clearly enough to make the right decisions when it comes to major things. Maybe take a vacation if you can. Even then, give yourself a few months before doing anything major or strenuous.

(((((HUGS)))))

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Oh.......you are really having a tough and stressful time right now, aren't you?  No wonder your gut is feeling poorly.  Sometimes stress can make you feel worse than a glutening.  My condolences to you and your family on your terrible loss and I hope all goes well for your family regarding the funeral.  That is so hard but you will get through it all and will feel better after a few days.  Just keep the food simple and hang in there......deep breaths!

#10 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Stress.  So sorry about your dad.  I lost mine 7 years ago last weekend.  Hang in there.

Diagnosis 11/2012

#11 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thank you everybody. It's helpful to learn about your experiences and your support is quite comforting. I will take all of the advice. <3

#12 dawn w

dawn w

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi yes it can do that .im sorry for your lose.i don't know if you now some pizza places can make you a pizza only if you let them now .they don't all way s have sign s telling as which you can eat . tesco s sell them to.which is all gluten free .and all so Asda s.

#13 dawn w

dawn w

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

IV had stress from loosing a pet which made me very ill and up set that can up set my stomach pains .lots of headache s it really hard to get by IV had Loose stools and now seeing my gp . For help to calm the celiac down which I'm taking tablets before my meals its starting to help .can it all bring on gas s which could be bring on the symptoms of my celiac s .

#14 carisima

carisima

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

yes, stress can definitely affect your digestive tract. I'm really sorry about the loss of your father *hugs*

#15 alesusy

alesusy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

They say the intestines are our "second brain". Of course stress can give you glutening symptoms. THink of it like this: our bodies react to stress in the organs which are usually the most delicate. It might be headache, heart palpitations, D (whenever I'm really stressed or really scared I'll have D, and it's quite a common reaction for non celiac people too). But whatever is your usual way of being sick will be exasperated by stress.

And what you're going through is a huge upheaval. Hugs. Be kind to yourself. Take it easy for some months and if I can offer advice, do not take any major decisions if you can help it. When in mourning we become a little crazy. It happened to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: