18 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

I just went to a farmer's market type thing right down the street from my shop. There were several vendors with baked goods for sale, quite a few of which were marked gluten-free. I questioned the people and sure enough, they were all baked in the same pans in the same kitchen with gluten foods. Some were made with regular oats. Most were even baked at the same time as the gluten foods, on the same oven rack.

A tourist stopped in and said she had just been there and bought a gluten-free muffin. I told her I had questioned the people (she should have too - she was diagnosed 7 years ago and should know better) but she said she was glad I told her so she could give the muffin away.

I wonder how many people are going to get sick today because of this. :angry:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I just went to a farmer's market type thing right down the street from my shop. There were several vendors with baked goods for sale, quite a few of which were marked gluten-free. I questioned the people and sure enough, they were all baked in the same pans in the same kitchen with gluten foods. Some were made with regular oats. Most were even baked at the same time as the gluten foods, on the same oven rack.

A tourist stopped in and said she had just been there and bought a gluten-free muffin. I told her I had questioned the people (she should have too - she was diagnosed 7 years ago and should know better) but she said she was glad I told her so she could give the muffin away.

The baker probably had good intentions and probably didn't know.

#3 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

one less, because of you :)  

i blame the gluten-free fad diet.  everybody wants to jump on that wagon.  hopefully, the people who need to ask the questions will ask them.  i wish people understood this better :(  if you gluten me i lose 14 days.  four.  teen.  days.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I hope they learned from your questions that its more serious than they are treating it! I am glad they are making the effort though I would love to be able to buy gluten-free baked goods at my local farmers market!
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

one less, because of you :)

i blame the gluten-free fad diet.  everybody wants to jump on that wagon.  hopefully, the people who need to ask the questions will ask them.  i wish people understood this better :(  if you gluten me i lose 14 days.  four.  teen.  days.

yes, what she said!!!

Barty, my sweet friend...you GET IT, :)  but sadly, many who should be more aware of what they need to to do stay safe, do not.

Education is the key. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

The tourist, a confirmed and experienced celiac, was from Denver. I guess in Denver people are a lot more celiac-aware and if something is marked gluten-free, you can count on it BEING gluten-free. But one of these bakers at the market is the same lady I called a few months ago when a friend picked up a "gluten-free" muffin for me. I wasn't about to eat it until I knew how it was made. I explained CC to this baker in detail and told her (nicely) that if a celiac ate her wares, they would get sick. She's STILL hawking this stuff! Ticks me off to no end. KIDS might buy this stuff!

I think there should be a law. If someone made something they declared peanut-free when it really wasn't, they'd get sued at the very least, and probably arrested for endangerment or something. Why do people think celiac isn't to be taken seriously?!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Why do people think celiac isn't to be taken seriously?!

That..my friend, is the  $64, 000 question!! beats me. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

That reminds me of our last trip to Albertson's. They carry a brand of sandwich meat and cheese that is gluten free in the deli. The girl that generally waits on us wasn't there last Wed. She is as good as gold because her Mother has celiac. A different guy was behind the counter so I made sure to tell him I had to be careful. He had just waited on another lady who bought another brand, not gluten free. I turned for a moment to look at something and when I looked back he was using the same slicer, there was another slicer that had been cleaned beside him. So I did say, excuse me, did you clean that slicer and did you change gloves? The look he gave me made me feel bad so I said, I'm sorry but if I eat that it'll make me terribly sick. He got an attitide and slung the meat in the trash. At this point I said, I'm sorry I've changed my mind, I better just pass and we decided to just leave.

Another lady walked up to me on the way out and said, he had emptied trash before the previous customer and didn't change gloves before cutting her meat. I wanted to know how she knew all this and she said she'd been waiting to get some ham and cheese but changed her mind. No, I didn't tell the manager. I should have but I just couldn't stand knowing I might have caused him to lose his job, now I feel guilty that he might make someone sick.

I get so tired of people making me feel guilty and yes embarrassing me. Some people just don't get it.

The last time I got sick from cross contamination it took me 3 weeks to start to recover!

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#9 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

That reminds me of our last trip to Albertson's. They carry a brand of sandwich meat and cheese that is gluten free in the deli. The girl that generally waits on us wasn't there last Wed. She is as good as gold because her Mother has celiac. A different guy was behind the counter so I made sure to tell him I had to be careful. He had just waited on another lady who bought another brand, not gluten free. I turned for a moment to look at something and when I looked back he was using the same slicer, there was another slicer that had been cleaned beside him. So I did say, excuse me, did you clean that slicer and did you change gloves? The look he gave me made me feel bad so I said, I'm sorry but if I eat that it'll make me terribly sick. He got an attitide and slung the meat in the trash. At this point I said, I'm sorry I've changed my mind, I better just pass and we decided to just leave.
Another lady walked up to me on the way out and said, he had emptied trash before the previous customer and didn't change gloves before cutting her meat. I wanted to know how she knew all this and she said she'd been waiting to get some ham and cheese but changed her mind. No, I didn't tell the manager. I should have but I just couldn't stand knowing I might have caused him to lose his job, now I feel guilty that he might make someone sick.
I get so tired of people making me feel guilty and yes embarrassing me. Some people just don't get it.
The last time I got sick from cross contamination it took me 3 weeks to start to recover!

I would have felt the same way, but it doesn't sound like you were rude and you did explain yourself saying it would make you sick. It's hard knowing you may cause some one else grief by complaining, but he didn't seem to mind causing you to be ill either. It is part of his job to serve you politely. He won't learn otherwise and you shouldn't have to pass on your food, for us safe places are like gold! It would be a shame for you to have to pass every time you see him working the slicers :-/
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

The tourist, a confirmed and experienced celiac, was from Denver. I guess in Denver people are a lot more celiac-aware and if something is marked gluten-free, you can count on it BEING gluten-free. But one of these bakers at the market is the same lady I called a few months ago when a friend picked up a "gluten-free" muffin for me. I wasn't about to eat it until I knew how it was made. I explained CC to this baker in detail and told her (nicely) that if a celiac ate her wares, they would get sick. She's STILL hawking this stuff! Ticks me off to no end. KIDS might buy this stuff!

I think there should be a law. If someone made something they declared peanut-free when it really wasn't, they'd get sued at the very least, and probably arrested for endangerment or something. Why do people think celiac isn't to be taken seriously?!

Where at in Denver? I've yet to see it.

At any rate, the target population is probably those on the fad or those who aren't celiac but just sensitive.

#11 RaeDawnMarie721

RaeDawnMarie721

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

This is all terrifying, in my opinion. Like someone said regarding the baked goods, a child could buy one of those muffins and end up incredibly sick! And...well, this might seem nasty but I've been working with the public for years now. The customer is always right whether the customer is right or not (which, trust me, you were right). The manager should have been informed. It's not okay to get snippy with or around the customers, and it's not okay to make people sick...and it's REALLY not okay to not change your gloves after changing garbage. YUCK.

#12 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

i'm one of those people who has always washed my hands...all. the. time.  pre-gluten free, and even more gluten free.  YUCK is right  :P

it's not okay to make people sick...and it's REALLY not okay to not change your gloves after changing garbage. YUCK.

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

#13 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

...and it's REALLY not okay to not change your gloves after changing garbage. YUCK.

lacking education, many persons in food service treat gloves as self protection only.  when I worked food service, it was well before glove wearing came into common practice....and we were taught as good or better hand hygiene than when I went to nursing school.

#14 liko73

liko73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

good to know this, thanks.

#15 Renegade

Renegade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

This is scary, how the hell can Cross contamination be so bad, you are ingesting a insanely tiny amount of gluten, eating it would be in such a bigger proportion. I don't get how cross contamination can be so bad, specially after healing has been done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: