• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

nostalgic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I live in an apartment and share an oven with a gluten-eating roommate.  We honestly haven't used it that much since I've been gluten-free (or at all) but we're planning on using it a lot more for gluten-free meals.  It isn't a self-cleaning oven so I plan to scrub it down as best I can but still not put foods directly on the rack.  Do I also need to put a cover over the food?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Not if there is nothing to fall in it. If the " roof" is clean, there will be nothing to fall in. If you are cooking a gluten thing and a gluten-free thing, I would cover. Just in case the gluten one spits a bit in the oven.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Your oven is safe. Don't worry about covering food unless it's going to burn.

I tried to think of things that would explode containing gluten.  Cam't come up with any, they usually spill over.  The aromas can't get you either.   That's my opinion, though, and I guess I could be wrong.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

i/we still bake (crusty 'regular' bread, frozen pizzas, etc) for the gluten-eaters and sometimes it recommends placing the (whatever) directly onto the oven rack.  so if i am using the rack below it, i will cover it.  <in case any stuck on gluten bakes off and drops into what is baking below it) or JUST USE THE TOP RACK!  (@ my HUSBAND!!)  for the life of him, he remembers it exactly wrong almost every time lolz bless his little pea pickin' heart   :wub:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

i/we still bake (crusty 'regular' bread, frozen pizzas, etc) for the gluten-eaters and sometimes it recommends placing the (whatever) directly onto the oven rack.  so if i am using the rack below it, i will cover it.  <in case any stuck on gluten bakes off and drops into what is baking below it) or JUST USE THE TOP RACK!  (@ my HUSBAND!!)  for the life of him, he remembers it exactly wrong almost every time lolz bless his little pea pickin' heart   :wub:

omg my husband is like this too! He does those frozen pizza things that say to cook right on the rack. Then I have to remember to switch the racks if I have something to bake that needs to be uncovered in the middle. I always just give the racks a quicky scrub if I'm going to be doing something like cookies or w/e. (Since it involves using both racks and moving things around all the time and I could knock whatever lose crumbs are there off.) But if you aren't cooking something like pizza or w/e directly ON one of the racks, or don't do something like cook a gluteny angel food cake in a springform pan on Mother's Day that spills out all over :ph34r: I wouldn't worry about it at all. Besides, those sorts of things should probably be cleaned up anyway. "Should" and "probably" being the key words. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: