4 replies to this topic

#1 nostalgic

nostalgic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I live in an apartment and share an oven with a gluten-eating roommate.  We honestly haven't used it that much since I've been gluten-free (or at all) but we're planning on using it a lot more for gluten-free meals.  It isn't a self-cleaning oven so I plan to scrub it down as best I can but still not put foods directly on the rack.  Do I also need to put a cover over the food?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Not if there is nothing to fall in it. If the " roof" is clean, there will be nothing to fall in. If you are cooking a gluten thing and a gluten-free thing, I would cover. Just in case the gluten one spits a bit in the oven.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Your oven is safe. Don't worry about covering food unless it's going to burn.

I tried to think of things that would explode containing gluten.  Cam't come up with any, they usually spill over.  The aromas can't get you either.   That's my opinion, though, and I guess I could be wrong.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

i/we still bake (crusty 'regular' bread, frozen pizzas, etc) for the gluten-eaters and sometimes it recommends placing the (whatever) directly onto the oven rack.  so if i am using the rack below it, i will cover it.  <in case any stuck on gluten bakes off and drops into what is baking below it) or JUST USE THE TOP RACK!  (@ my HUSBAND!!)  for the life of him, he remembers it exactly wrong almost every time lolz bless his little pea pickin' heart   :wub:

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

i/we still bake (crusty 'regular' bread, frozen pizzas, etc) for the gluten-eaters and sometimes it recommends placing the (whatever) directly onto the oven rack.  so if i am using the rack below it, i will cover it.  <in case any stuck on gluten bakes off and drops into what is baking below it) or JUST USE THE TOP RACK!  (@ my HUSBAND!!)  for the life of him, he remembers it exactly wrong almost every time lolz bless his little pea pickin' heart   :wub:

omg my husband is like this too! He does those frozen pizza things that say to cook right on the rack. Then I have to remember to switch the racks if I have something to bake that needs to be uncovered in the middle. I always just give the racks a quicky scrub if I'm going to be doing something like cookies or w/e. (Since it involves using both racks and moving things around all the time and I could knock whatever lose crumbs are there off.) But if you aren't cooking something like pizza or w/e directly ON one of the racks, or don't do something like cook a gluteny angel food cake in a springform pan on Mother's Day that spills out all over :ph34r: I wouldn't worry about it at all. Besides, those sorts of things should probably be cleaned up anyway. "Should" and "probably" being the key words. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: