This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Knee Pain

mtarek70

mtarek70 Newbie

Hi

My son has been diagnosed for more than a year now and we are eating Gluten Free diet at home. sometime in early March he woke up for 4 nights complaining from a pain from his left knee. We took him to the pediatrician and he told us to give him Motrin for 4 days and then he ordered xray and blood work. The xray was normal for both the hip and knee, but the blood work showed high blood sedation and we repeated it 3 days after and it dropped from 46 to 43 and then the pain faded away and his physician said nothing to worry about.

As of today the pain in this left knee it has returned for the 3rd night and we will take him to his pediatrician tomorrow to seek some help, but I am wondering if you have any ideas or suggestions about his condition. Do you think is it related to celiac disease?

Regards,

Rick

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stanleymonkey Explorer

Has he fallen recently? My eldest complained of knee pain, and it turned out to be synovitis. How old is he? There is a specific type of fracture younger kids get at the top of their bones, they often complain of knee pain it isn't always picked up on X-rays until a few days later.

My youngest on the other hand complains of foot pain when exposed to gluten.

Juvenile arthritis is an autoimmune condition just like celiac disease it's worth asking your doc about

Just checked and the fracture is actually called a CAST fracture and it's very common in kids 8 and younger

mtarek70 Newbie

Has he fallen recently? My eldest complained of knee pain, and it turned out to be synovitis. How old is he? There is a specific type of fracture younger kids get at the top of their bones, they often complain of knee pain it isn't always picked up on X-rays until a few days later.

My youngest on the other hand complains of foot pain when exposed to gluten.

Juvenile arthritis is an autoimmune condition just like celiac disease it's worth asking your doc about

Just checked and the fracture is actually called a CAST fracture and it's very common in kids 8 and younger

My son is 6 years old. 

mommy2krj Explorer

My little guy (also 6 years old) is just starting this journey toward a diagnosis of Celiac's. He will randomly complain of pains in his arms and legs and occasionally his back. I haven't figured out yet if it is related or not...we haven't gone gluten free yet as his biopsy is scheduled for June 19th.

He has older siblings though, that are also going to be tested (hopefully before their brother's biopsy) that have in the past (and more recently) had issues with joint pain....though we always chalked it up to sports related issues. They are both teenagers.

I'm kind of floundering my way through this. I would definitely bring up what the previous poster said with your son's doctor.

Hope you get some answers and your little guy feels better soon.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

We are currently awaiting the results of my four-year-old daughter's celiac tests, so I'm not sure yet what is related to what, but she has had similar problems with her knees since she was a toddler. The first time it hurt her so much that she couldn't even stand up, and she couldn't talk yet so we had no idea what was wrong. An x-ray was clear, but she tested positive for strep throat (despite having no apparent sore throat symptoms and no fever), so the doctor concluded that her knee pain was from toxic synovitis. He told us to give her Advil for a few days, until it subsided. He also said that if a kid has toxic synovitis once, they're likely to get it again - and she has. Apparently it can be triggered by minor viruses that don't even produce other symptoms of illness. 

I'm pretty skeptical of that diagnosis - it just doesn't seem like a kid should have knee pain so often, even if they are "prone" to it. I'm hoping that once we get the food problems sorted out, the knee pain will go away too. But if the doctor is right, and it's just toxic synovitis, then apparently it really is no big deal. It's just awfully uncomfortable for the little one! 

Brandiwine Contributor

My son woke up some nights complaining of leg pain and some days he also had pain, I thought it was "growing pains" at the time. He hasn't had any nights like that since GFD, the night terrors also went away.

Any way he is being glutened or CC? Could also be a deficiency...

stanleymonkey Explorer

Magnesium deficiency is a big cause of pain and cra,ping. Our dietician suggested it as a cause for our eldest

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Vitamin D deficiency can also cause leg/knee pain. A blood test can tell you if this is an issue.

GFinDC Veteran

Nightshades and soy can cause joint pain.  Also, low thyroid hormones can cause it.

susan7fink Rookie

This is how all this started I thought it was growing pains turned into a psoriatic arthritis diagnosis...then meds which messed with tummy so give Dr who tested him for celiac and tested positive on 2tests. They want a biopsy and mri of his spine knees and ankles...I think all his issueschave links to celiac.I dontb fully understand all this it's so new.

Archived