#1 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hi all!

I am so overwhelmed right now. I have super itchy skin rash for the last two months that will not go away. I've been to two doctors so far -my PCP and derm. They gave me predisone. It helped, but it didn't go away. AT first I thought it was poison ivy, but I think the predisone should have taken it away if that was the case. The derm doctor gave me two kinds of cream,  took a biopsy and it came back as just an allergy. So it's not DH. I didn't change any products, but I am really sensitive to fragrance. I have to buy fragrance free products. And the weird thing about the rash is it's on my stomach, shoulders, back, arms and legs, but not my face. It makes me wonder if it's my laundry detergent, but I haven't changed that either.

So now I'm starting to think it's a corn or soy allergy. I've been doing some research and corn is in everything. I've suspected that I have a corn intolerance since I've been gluten free. I can't eat any of the gluten free cereals except for maybe one or two. and that's only once a week. I know I can't over do it on processed foods. And the last two months I've been going a little crazy with Frito's, so I've been eating more corn lately. Then yesterday I had a gluten free cereal, Frito's and popcorn all in the same day and I swear it looks like the rash has gotten worse. :( The cream the derm doctor gave me is helping, but it's just not going away.

I'm not sure what to do. Today I'm trying not to eat any corn products, but I think I already did without knowing it. I think it's in my salad dressing. I've been tested for a corn allergy with blood work and it came back negative, but I heard these tests aren't really accurate.

Sorry, I'm so depressed here, but I'm just so bummed. It's hard enough to be gluten free and I think corn might be even harder to avoid. I'll really miss my chips.  :(

So does anyone have any suggestions? Should I go to my allergy doctor to get more testing for a corn or soy allergy or should I just try to avoid them on my own?

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Did your derm take a biopsy of CLEAR skin right next to an ACTIVE lesion? From what I have read here, a lot of dermatologists don't know how to do a DH biopsy correctly.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Did your derm take a biopsy of CLEAR skin right next to an ACTIVE lesion? From what I have read here, a lot of dermatologists don't know how to do a DH biopsy correctly.

I'm not sure. That's interesting though. They actually took two biopsy's from my bum. :( I'll have to make sure it's not a gluten issue for sure and go through everything again, too. I am very careful and I've been keeping a food log for the last almost 4 years now. I am very sensitive. And I swear the only time I have any health problems it's always, always because I'm getting a small amount of gluten that I'm unaware of. And it's usually from gluten-free vitamins. :( I've been taking Kirkman Lab vitamins for the last two years without any problems, but you never know. Gluten is sneaky. I have been eating more Frito's lately and I know I really can't tolerate a lot of processed foods. So maybe I'll eat more wholefoods again for a while to see if it helps.

My skin has been so itchy it even wakes me up at night so I'm not getting much rest lately. I never had reactions like this before. :(

Thanks for your help Bartfull! :)

Lisa

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Here's the thing - even if you aren't getting any gluten, DH reacts to iodine. If those Frito's have iodized salt, that could be your answer. Have you been over to the DH section here? I think you should go look at some of the pictures folks have posted and compare your rash to those, then read as much info as you can. Ask lots of questions. Maybe it's NOT DH, but it can't hurt to educate yourself about it. And there are some WONDERFUL people here who can help you. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Here's the thing - even if you aren't getting any gluten, DH reacts to iodine. If those Frito's have iodized salt, that could be your answer. Have you been over to the DH section here? I think you should go look at some of the pictures folks have posted and compare your rash to those, then read as much info as you can. Ask lots of questions. Maybe it's NOT DH, but it can't hurt to educate yourself about it. And there are some WONDERFUL people here who can help you. :)

Thanks Bartful! I didn't know that iodine can cause DH. I eat a lot of chips and nuts almost everyday. You might be on to something. I'll be checking it out.  :)

Thanks again!

Lisa

#6 Finally@45

Finally@45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Like Alex said-- go for histamine intolerance. It has a high likelihood of being unpredictable, weird, and easy to fool Drs.

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: